Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
sciencedancer
Registered Users

After the birth of twins??

Hello,
I am new to DS (a new addiction!) and am expecting twin boys due Sept 7th. I went to a class last week about what will happen in the hospital etc, it is the hospital policy to wake me/babies up every 4 hours to nurse. From all of the advice I have read, most recommend trying to feed the babies at the same time. So, will they bring me both babies at the same time or one at a time? Any mamas out there who have been there done that? Thanks

Advertisement

sciencedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
nrscaren
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: After the birth of twins??

I had twin boys almost 20 months ago and after birth, the hospital staff wanted me to nurse them separate every 3 hrs. They did wake me up when the time was up. I did this for 2 days, but then figured out how to do them together. I have a son older than the twins, so i had BF experience. Nursing together definitely saves time although it gets harder when they get older b/c they are more distractable.
nrscaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am an RN on a mother/baby unit. At our hospital, we will do whatever you want us to. If you want both babies at the same time we will bring them, if you want one at a time we will do that, or if you want them to stay in the room with you it is fine. We have had moms who put both twins in the same crib, and just the one crib is wheeled back and forth between the nursery and mom's room. I will say that in my 4 years on this unit I have only seen one mom be able to nurse twins at the same time while at the hospital. Usually it is one at a time until the mom and babies figure out what they are doing. It would be great if you could nurse them both at the same time, a great goal to have. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I nursed mine together, I never asked what the staff wanted at all. They are my babies, LOL.

Last edited by Mamatoabunch; 05-27-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Mamatoabunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My babies roomed in with me (they slept together in a single bassinet - happiest if touching). I nursed them separately just because I could never figure out how to do it together.

My routine that I was put on in the hospital sucked and probably explains why I only lasted one month. We had to feed every 3 hours. Due to low birth weight (4lbs and 5lbs) and low blood sugar issues with my son I:
Nursed my son, handed him off the dh who supplemented with a bottle
Nursed my daughter, handed her off to dh who gave her a bottle
Pumped for 30 minutes

By the time I was done I got to sleep for an hour before starting the whole cycle again. At a month I was an emotional mess. My son had no interest in the breast (come on...he's a boy...why work at it if you can get something else that just flows down your throat) so I stopped bfing him. I lasted about another month with my daughter before quitting all together. There is a lot I would change about everything in hindsight.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
sciencedancer
Registered Users

Thank you for the insight! I was thinking that I should be the one calling the shots, but being a new mother, I really have no idea! I agree that it will be hard to nurse them at the same time, it is a goal for the future. I was hoping that I would get a little rest, and not put on a schedule that the hospital deemed appropriate. Again, thanks for the insight! I'm sure I will have many more fears/anxieties/concerns. I appreciate the support.
sciencedancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did nurse my twins at the same time. For me, it was definitely the best thing and I'm not sure I would have made it if I hadn't. I had a 26 month old too when the twins were born.

However, at the hospital, I didn't nurse them together. Not because they didn't want me to, they didn't care, but because it is hard to do and takes time to get the hang of it. Mine were 35 weekers and not good at nursing, so I had to focus on one at a time. I did get them both latched on once at the hospital with the help of a lactation consultant. It was cool.

We started tandem nursing almost 100% of the time around 6 wks when they both really got the hang of nursing. I found it easier and easier they older they got to do it at the same time. They got to the point where I really couldn't nurse one without the other because the other would get annoyed if he/she wasn't nursing too.

I loved nursing older twins. They were so, so cute. They would play and "fight" and steal each other's boob all while they were nursing. It was cute and fun and I miss it.

I think the best thing for nursing both at the same time is an EZ2 Nurse Twin nursing pillow. I did it with a regular boppy at first, but it was hard. Once I got my EZ2 nurse pillow, it was smooth sailing from there...most of the time.

Good Luck!!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
JicJac
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had no clue what was going to happen in the hospital. They roomed in with us 100%. Ask questions and seek assistance in the hospital when there are nurses there to help (vs at home). At first we nursed them seperate but then we did them together so I could get the hang of it. Good luck! THe EZ2Nurse twin FOAM nursing pillow is a lifesaver!!! I used that until I weaned at 25.5 months. Good luck & enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!
JicJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #9
Rollins4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My twins stayed with me the whole time and I did nurse them together. Like mgl post,, they gave me free reign to do what I wanted to do,, but the staff was also right there if I needed anything. They even brought me an extra boppy to use! You need to be very vocal and do what feels right to you! GL Mama and keep us posted!!
Rollins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
momta5vs
Registered Users

My babies were born at 36 weeks and 5 days and were in the NICU for 1 week, the nurses had them on a 3 hour feeding schedule and I got to nurse them and then they were supplemented in the hospital but was off of that by the time we took them home, I was able to tandem in the hospital ( I have three older ones that I had nursed each for about a year--that probably helped--I didn't think it was that hard, pumping is what sucked ) and it is so much easier to do it all at once and keep them on the same schedule, just to stay sane.
momta5vs is offline   Reply With Quote