Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
apelilae
Registered Users

All night nurser -help needed

So, Liam's become an all night nurser. At first it wasn't too bad, but now I can barely function. He's 5 months and 18 pounds and we're not ready to try solids or anything. He won't take a paci or bottle.

Any tips or advice as to how to get him to sleep longer or nurse less at night? I've read a bunch on night weaning, but that's not what we want. We'd like him to sleep two or three hours at a time. Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:
Re: All night nurser -help needed

do you cosleep? if so you could wear a loose spagetti strap tank top to bed and sleep facing him, then he could serve himself without waking you up. Thats what I did with DD, now she is totally self service. But with her recent teeth, I sometimes have to tell her "thats enough" and sleep on my other side.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #3
pottymomma
Registered Users
seller

When my middle child was an all night nurser we were co-sleeping and I decided that we were just a bit too close (considering I had to peel his face from my armpit often). I put up our crib by the bed like a side car with one side off of it. I could scoot further away after he nursed to sleep and he didn't wake as often.
pottymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
honeybunmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wish I knew what to tell you. I co-sleep with dd who will be 14 mos next Thurs. Last night was a dream as she only woke up at 4am - in start contrast to the previous night during which she woke up no less than 3 times.

And yes, she nurses about 99% of the time when she wakes up. And I work full time so I'm about to drop.

Elisa
Old 12-20-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
Jaz_Trio
Registered Users

I wish I could tell you what to do too - I STILL have an all night nurser here and hes 3 - ACK - though I dont wake up at all - he "helps himself" thank goodness or I would not be able to function either But from the hours of around 2 AM till we wake up around 8 he's latched!

Sorry cant help but wanted to say I feel your pain!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
beanmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Co-sleeping made it easier for us as well- your DS is headed into a growth spurt, so there's a chance it will slow down a bit in the next few weeks. But, as the PP said...she's got a 3yo all night nurser somethings never change
beanmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
apelilae
Registered Users

Yeah, we co sleep with a tank on so hes got boob access all night, but I am a tummy or back sleeper and any more sleeping on my side for him to nurse is killing my shoulders and back.

Elsa- I feel your pain. I only work PT and I dont know how Id manage FT.

He does have a horrible cold that went from a cough to full blown crud in about 10 hours. And he's teething. I guess that's why he's nursing more at night.

Thank you for all your thoughts. I will try scooching over when this crud passes. Thanks again!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 5 months also and an all night nurser, too. I can relate.
The things that we have done to help us both sleep better include
swaddling her with one arm out for teething
installing a toddler bed rail on our bed, so she is safer
I feed her on one side then when she falls asleep is scoot as far from her as I can...I think the smell of milk wakes her up sometimes.
When she wakes up again I feed her on the other side and then scoot away.
I completely understand how you feel. I am a WOHM too...part time and I know there are days and nights when I am just exhausted.........OH, and I have to support my back with at least one pillow to sleep well at all.

We are planning to put her to sleep in her crib for her first sleep of the night after christmas..we did that for a while and it really helped. At least I got two or three hours of good sleep on my back before DH brought her to our bed
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #9
apelilae
Registered Users

Great ideas! Thanks so much. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Most mommies in my playgroup have kids that slept pretty well as babes. My friend just had her baby and she's already sleeping 6 plus hours at a time. My Dr said most girls sleep better than boys. I wonder why
Old 12-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #10
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by apelilae View Post
Great ideas! Thanks so much. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Most mommies in my playgroup have kids that slept pretty well as babes. My friend just had her baby and she's already sleeping 6 plus hours at a time. My Dr said most girls sleep better than boys. I wonder why
ohwow really??! david didnt sleep thru the night til i night weaned him at 2.5yrs old. i say just be patient. hopefully it happen faster than us LOL
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote