Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
moonglowdesigns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How was your jump from 3 to 4 kids?

Hi all! We are currently ttc #5 (one m/c) and are both wanting/trying for another, but a bit nervous about how the switch will be! What changes did you notice, if any? Did you find it easier? Harder? Why? Do you have any advice? Thanks guys!

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

Re: How was your jump from 3 to 4 kids?

Last edited by OrangeBananas; 08-25-2009 at 10:09 AM.
OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It really wasn't any different for us either. The other kids are great about having siblings and don't mind waiting if I'm nursing the baby or changing a diaper, which makes a big difference to me. I feel like once we had two, numbers 3 and 4 just fit in so easily and nicely and it was like they were always there. Good luck. You can do it!
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
proudmommaof4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How was our jump? A big surprise lol. #4 was completely unplanned but such a wonderful blessing. It really hasn't been any different here either though. Ours are 7, 5, 2.5 and the baby is now 9 months. We had no difficulty except a bit of jealousy with the youngest as he was the baby (and a bit spoiled since he was our last). The older 2 help out tons. Like pp said, after going from 1-2, 3 & 4 seem to just fit in like they have been here since day one.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
squintz22
Registered Users

My Mood:

Uneventful honestly...

My two oldest are both girls, 16 months apart. That was the hardest transition. My third, a boy, is a little less than 3 years after them. Then #4 is 19 months younger than his brother.

#3 and #4 kind of had to fit into our routine, and honestly didn't have a huge effect on our household. Seems like they've always been here!
#1 - 5/27/02
#2 - 9/29/03
#3 - 7/21/06
#4 - Leap Day 2008
squintz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
steph410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i have been wondering this too. is a big change financially or much more stressful on you and your spouse?

we have 3 little boys and i would love another baby eventually!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've only made this jump about 2.5 weeks ago...so I don't have a lot of time under my belt as a mama to 4. But so far, it's been relatively easy! We haven't fully resumed all of our routines just yet. (We're getting back to our homeschooling June 1) But the transition hasn't been tough for us so far. Honestly, come to think of it, neither was the transition from 2 to 3.
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
i have been wondering this too. is a big change financially or much more stressful on you and your spouse?

we have 3 little boys and i would love another baby eventually!
I really haven't noticed a financial impact yet since we cloth diaper and I'm nursing. I'm sure when we have 4 teenagers eating us out of house and home I'll feel differently though. The stress level hasn't gone up much either. My dh is an awesome dad though, and will do anything and everything the kids need, so we both share the parenting role, which I feel makes it easier on us. If you have a less involved dh, or one who works a ton, or is military and may be deployed then I would say it probably would be more stressful. Right now it's kind of a pain to run errands just because of the two youngest ones. I don't think it would be any easier if we didn't have the older two though, I think it's just the ages of our two youngest.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Going from 3 to 4 was definitely the easiest transtion. Besides having the first, which of course was the biggest change in our lives, I found making the transition to #2 and even the transtion to #3 very challenging. However, #4 just fit in perfectly. A lot of it had to do with the fact that my oldest was 7 by that time (almost 9 now, and youngest is almost 2) and very helpful. So some of it depends on how old your other ones are. Mine are all just under 2 1/2 years apart. (I'd love to have another one soon. Unfortunately like you, I very recently experienced my first m/c.)
Financially we haven't noticed much of a change financially because of nursing, cloth diapering, etc. We hardly spend any money on clothing for the kids because my mother is wonderful at going to rummage sales and finding beautiful clothes, which she then generously gives to us. So clothing really isn't an issue at all. The only area where the kids seem to be costing us more is that as they get older and eat more, we need to buy more food. But it seems a small price to pay for all the enjoyment we get from them.
I find that I enjoy each baby even more than the previous one, probably just due to having more experience, the fun of watching siblings interact with him, etc.
Best wishes for #4! We love having 4 (though it definitely has its stressful times--normal for any number of children though!)
Kristin
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #10
squintz22
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'll second that...financially the only thing that's increased so far is food. It blows my mind how much we spend on food each month! Obviously as they get older that will probably get worse, then whatever help we choose/are able to give them for college.
#1 - 5/27/02
#2 - 9/29/03
#3 - 7/21/06
#4 - Leap Day 2008
squintz22 is offline   Reply With Quote