Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
nikichickee
Registered Users
Formerly: AidyBabysMomma
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy HELP I"M A HUMAN PACI!!!

Cara is doing wonderful with BFing and I am over the moon about it but every few nights she turns me into a human paci ... ALL ... NIGHT ... LONG We co-sleep but I still haven't mastered the side laying position so it's the football for me. I know it's not supply related since I have a major oversupply. Any suggestions on how to handle this? Her latch is wonderful and I've had next to no pain or soreness until now and man oh man is it NOT fun. I would love to offer her a paci but I'm afraid it will ruin our wonderful BFing relationship. What's the earliest one can offer a paci safely, I know 6 weeks is the recommendation but I don't think I will survive that long! HELP!

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HELP I"M A HUMAN PACI!!!

First, congratulations mama.

The only advice I can give is that maybe you can practice side-lying during the day. That is a life saver for all night sessions.

Good luck to you. It will get easier.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
mama0609
Banned
seller

DD was given a paci at just a few days old...

It won't ruin your breastfeeding realtionship unless you over use it. Using it to help soothe baby to sleep once in a while isn't likely to hurt your. Especially given that you have oversupply, her nursing all night is probably making it worse.

There's nothing wrong with giving a paci... Most babies will refuse a paci when they are truly hungry and every baby I know will spit them out in the night. DD never keeps her paci in longer than 30 min after I lay her down (IF she takes one).

In a few more weeks, you can introduce her to her thumb... We started giving DD her thumb for comfort around a month or 6 weeks and she's more of a thumb baby now than a paci baby.
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Mom24Babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She is using you as a "paci" to build up your supply. I agree with practicing side-lying during the day. It really is easy to do. She'll be going through several growth spurts soon so I really don't recommend an artificial paci right now. I know it's time-consuming, but you can get through it!
I'm a consultant for The All Natural Face! Enter Consultant # 2107
Mom24Babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
mama0609
Banned
seller

Now see, I disagree... Mom has oversupply... While it's instinctive to paci at the breast, when mom has oversupply, it makes it worse. Just like it's instinctive to cluster feed during a growth spurt whether babies need to or not.
mama0609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 AM   #6
justwrght
Registered Users

My Mood:

DS #3 is a month old and we use a paci. He is my only child to want one and I don't love it, but I don't think it's hurt us. He's a great nurser and has already gone for 6 hour stints at night.

Good luck!

Loving wife to Jon AND Mom to 3 boys
justwrght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

Keep trying the side lying thing at least once a day. I never thought Alexa would get the hang of it, and really it didn't work well at all until about a week ago (she's 5 weeks old now).

I have to turn the hallway light on though, she can't latch side lying in the dark.
tcmt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Knits on Earth
Registered Users
Formerly: eden/averymumm
seller

My Mood:

try letting her suck your finger instead? is that better than a paci? (I haven't a clue) practice sidelying, you'll get it and feel more rested once you do.

Knits on Earth, custom knits
Knits on Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

I don't think your supply is regulated enough to knwo if you have over supply at this stage.. i was still in the 'engorgement' phase at that age and it is still important imo to nurse on demand - i would say a paci won't hurt, but i would not use it to replace night nursing (at this point) personally, though i may change my mind if baby were literally latched on for the entire night (ifits on 45min off 30 or something then i would nurse) .. i would use it in the car or at times when i absolutely could not nurse so baby wouldn't cry ..

i agree with others who said to practice side lying during the day to get it down, with DS (my 2nd) i was able to start side lying at around 3 weeks , before that, i propped myself up with pillows and laid him across my belly in a modified cradle hold .. he would sleep at night across my belly and then i could just pull him up to the breast, then when he was big enough we did side lying..

if you're having soreness, you need to try to switch positions anyway because that will help not rub on the same spot every time.. and try using lanolin between nursings ..
Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
nikichickee
Registered Users
Formerly: AidyBabysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
First, congratulations mama.

The only advice I can give is that maybe you can practice side-lying during the day. That is a life saver for all night sessions.

Good luck to you. It will get easier.
Thanks, she should be feeding in about 15 minutes so I will give it a shot wish me luck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama0609 View Post
DD was given a paci at just a few days old...

It won't ruin your breastfeeding realtionship unless you over use it. Using it to help soothe baby to sleep once in a while isn't likely to hurt your. Especially given that you have oversupply, her nursing all night is probably making it worse.

There's nothing wrong with giving a paci... Most babies will refuse a paci when they are truly hungry and every baby I know will spit them out in the night. DD never keeps her paci in longer than 30 min after I lay her down (IF she takes one).

In a few more weeks, you can introduce her to her thumb... We started giving DD her thumb for comfort around a month or 6 weeks and she's more of a thumb baby now than a paci baby.
I actually tried her thumb last night but I think it's just too darn tiny for her to get any relief from it. The nights that she's up all night sure do take a toll on my supply in a sense that the following day I have to pump almost 4 ozs a feeding just so my breasts are not rocks, not even close to emptying the breast! eeekkkk I think I'm going to give it another week or so before I offer the paci simply because my son's nipple confusion nixed a nursing relationship between us completely so I'm a little more likely to er on the side of caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom24Babes View Post
She is using you as a "paci" to build up your supply. I agree with practicing side-lying during the day. It really is easy to do. She'll be going through several growth spurts soon so I really don't recommend an artificial paci right now. I know it's time-consuming, but you can get through it!
I am certainly going to practice side laying because I don't think I can survive without it. ITA about the growth spurts but there is no way she is trying to build my supply because she has yet to even come close to emptying a breast once. I have actually been pumping after feedings just until my breasts soften a little since they are so engorged and get about 4 oz a session! ahhh I have yet to even empty a breast once to be honest so if she is pacifying for any reason supply related I can only imagine it being since she has to nurse very gently since my MER is very strong if that makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwrght View Post
DS #3 is a month old and we use a paci. He is my only child to want one and I don't love it, but I don't think it's hurt us. He's a great nurser and has already gone for 6 hour stints at night.

Good luck!
thanks, I know we will be introducing one I'm just nervous about when since DS had such nipple confusion from being give a bottle before breast in the hossy and I am scarred for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmt81 View Post
Keep trying the side lying thing at least once a day. I never thought Alexa would get the hang of it, and really it didn't work well at all until about a week ago (she's 5 weeks old now).

I have to turn the hallway light on though, she can't latch side lying in the dark.
I'm goign to give it a shot when she wakes up for her next feeding. I'm thinking that this is going to be the only thing that get's me though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knits on Earth View Post
try letting her suck your finger instead? is that better than a paci? (I haven't a clue) practice sidelying, you'll get it and feel more rested once you do.
she will only stay on my finger for a few moments sadly, and to be honest when I put her on the breast it's only a few gentle sucks and then she passes out but wakes up as soon as i take her off. it's a vicious cycle but I'm thinking we'll work real hard on the side laying and try our darnedest to wait the 6 weeks for the paci