Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
happysahm
Registered Users
Formerly: mama22boys
seller

My Mood:
3 Yr Old Driving Me Insane

Hi, there mamas.

My DS has been going thru the terrible 2's now for about a year. He didn't start acting this way until he was about 2.5. I thought we got lucky...boy was I wrong. Now he is starting this whiny/crying phase...he cries about everything...oh I spilled my milk/juice waa...i stubbed my toe waaaa. You get the picture. After listening to this all day long, I go off on him in a screaming tirade. I am really embarrassed to admit that, but I don't like who I am becoming and don't know how to deal with this behavior daily. His constant whining and crying also disturb's the baby's sleep, so I feel like I never get a break. I called my DH to vent to him and he is out having lunch with his buddies. I really envy that I don't get any time like that. Being a mom is really hard some days, but I don't want to go back to work. I do enjoy my job 98% of the time...there are just those days when I feel blue.

Advertisement

Last edited by happysahm; 12-20-2006 at 03:32 PM. Reason: subscribe to thread
happysahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
fouradss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 Yr Old Driving Me Insane

I'm there with you Momma. Yesterday I had applesauce thrown on my head as I was cleaning the mess on the floor up. DD is 30mo old, and we are going through the same thing. Don't know what to tell you to do, but wanted to let you know that you are not alone.
fouradss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

Oh my... he soudns liek my dd... she thinks she has to get all the good she can of being two in the last 3 weeks before she is 3!!! She does the same thing cry's and whines over EVERYTHING!! I too get soo irritated and at the ends whit I yell... and its bad... I wish I knew what to do too!!
Old 12-20-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
ShannaMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My boys are just about the same ages as yours, and my DS1 has his whiny/cranky terrible days, too. Hang in there, mama!
Old 12-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

My DS will be 3 in Feb but he is right there with all of ya'lls too. He literally follows me around whining about I want a fruit bar.... I want chocolate milk....Alice touched me... and the whole time I am just trying to get things put away because I am tired of tripping over everything they pull out and just leave laying around.

I tell them to pick up, two toys get put away, then they are fighting ove something! Arg!!!! Tonight I felt myself loose my cool, I yelled at them, they cried, which annoyed me even more, so I put them both in DS's bed, turned on the night light and left, shutting the door behind me. 5 min later I go to check on them and am ready to do a happy dance that they have falled asleep (holding each other, aww how cute).

And I work FT so its not like I deal with it all day, I just get home and have 2 hours to do everything by myself and have 2 toddlers up my rear.

it's normal to feel like this. When it gets really bad for me I hide in my room with a pillow over my head for 5-10 min to calm down. Luckily our house is sooo toddler proof that I don't have to worry about what they are doing for that short time period.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:48 PM   #6
beccalriley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 3 yr old dd..has a cold..and is really irratable. she's screamed all day!
Old 12-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
pixiepunk
Registered Users
seller

all the experienced moms i know told me 3 was worse than 2 - and they were right! i couldn't believe the whining that started when she hit 3

i try to talk to her and tell that i only listen if she talks in her "sweet voice." or i'll say "can you ask me again in your sweet voice?" or "can you try that again nicely please?" - you'd be surprised how often it works, unless she's really tired or very hungry (and those are my fault, really, so i try to cut her some slack!)

but ya know, it's really important to get some mommy alone time - it makes you a much better mama, IMO. is there any way you could get out to take a yoga class or meet a friend for tea or something so you can re-charge your batteries? it makes all the difference, really it does. DH's can be grumpy about this at first, but when they see how relaxed and pleasant you are when you come home, they will probably be much less grumpy! or if you can afford a sitter (or a membership to a gym where they have a daycare) that can be a good option too. if you know other mamas with kids of similar age, you could also trade off childcare duty so you can each have a few hours to yourself while the kids have a playdate.

i teach 2 yoga classes a week, and even though i'm working and not exactly having "alone" time or time just for me, that little break to interact with other adults does make a big difference in my sanity level. when we moved i wasn't teaching at all for like 6 months, and hadn't made any new friends here yet, i thought i was truly going to go insane if something didn't "give" very soon.
pixiepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:00 AM   #8
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 3 yo (almost 4) dd is the same way! It really acclimated when ds was born. Since she wasn't getting as much attention, she had to dramatize everything even more. I lose it with her as well because an infant is enough work. I am in the same boat with you.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
happysahm
Registered Users
Formerly: mama22boys
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas...I feel better knowing I am not alone. I guess misery loves company. I keep hearing that it gets better when they hit age 4, but I am not going to hold my breath.

I do need to make "me time" a priority. I do think that would calm me down. I have a gym membership that I use and they have a child center with mamas that I trust. I just haven't been lately, because I've been sick...that makes things even worse when you feel like you can't keep up.

LOL...I can totally relate to the stepping and tripping over toys. That is constant over here. Thanks for your kind words. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:55 PM   #10
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ds1 started the 'terrible 2s' when he started walking at 10 months...LOL...and it hasn't stopped!! He'll be 3 in January.