Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:
Christmas Puppies Question

DH and I are in a slight debate... we both see sides to each others arguement...We want to get a pup for our DD's for Christmas... we had one who was put to sleep last spring, and we are now all ready to have a new canine. Here is my side: I want to save a dog... Our last dog was saved, my child hood dog was saved.. I have been looking online and see so many that are going to die if not saved. Plus they are on average 75 bucks, which is way more in our price range. DH wants to buy a new pup, b/c a puppy that is 8 weeks old would not be so likely to attack one of our children, and we would not have to worry about the dog having an abusive past which may cause one to be more aggresive....

What would you do?

Advertisement

mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #2
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Christmas Puppies Question

That's a tough one. Does your shelter know the history of their dogs? My Mom got a dog from a shelter and they knew the dogs history (a family with 6 kids had raised it from a puppy and they gave it up because they were so busy the dog wasn't getting proper care - had only been at the shelter a couple of weeks). So if they knew the dogs history from puppyhood I'd say get a dog from the shelter. But if they don't have that kind of information I'm not sure I'd risk it with little ones.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:36 AM   #3
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

You may be able to fine a puppy at the shelter...best of both worlds.

Our dog was a shelter dog, and we were also able to learn her history. They do "personality tests" and tell you the demeanor of your dog, but in our case they were 100% wrong (they said that she would never want human attention...she's stuck on us like glue!)

Another very good option is to figure out a breed that you like and contact a rescue group. The "foster" dogs, and the foster families know ALOT about the dog's demeanor and work very hard to place them in appropriate situations...they will work to make sure that they place a dog that is good with children with you.

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Easy to answer.. MOST shelters do tests with the animal to see if they are adoptable. If they are agressive, they are normally put to sleep. You won't get a agressive pet from a shelter. You might see pets that will do better in a home with no other pets or a house with adults only, but you won't get one that will bite one of your children.

Look it up online before going to a shelter anywhere to pick up a dog. Ask lots of questions.

If it were me, I could go either way. I'd love to have a puppy, so i can train it and it can grow up with miranda, ETC. But you could always get a puppy from a shelter too. Just because it's a puppy doesn't mean it won't attack the kids.

I'm not a Animal person. I have a guinea pig. That's as far as it goes. lol
I would never get a dog.. never a cat. I got enough stuff to do, without having to pick up someone else's poop.. lol

Good luck
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:47 AM   #5
Mel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

2 of our shelter dogs (you know, that had the personality tests and we're approved for homes) bit Joshua. Unprovoked. Well, they were in the laundry room and he went in there and they probably felt cornered and bit him and ran out. I was standing right there both times. Unless it were a small puppy I wouldn't do it. Sad to say I know but btdt. Both dogs went back to the shelters they came from.

Sadie, we got when she was 9 weeks old and she has never once bitten the kids. That's amazing with Jonah around. But they grew up together. DH had the same arguement as your dh did. Worked out to be the best thing.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

There would not even be a question in my mind...go with rescuing a dog/puppy from a shelter or rescue group. There are many shelters and rescue groups with dogs of all different ages/breeds/etc. The shelter that DH volunteers at does not usually adopt puppies to people with young children. Puppies have very sharp teeth and are not yet trained not to bite. It will take a while for them to learn appropriate behavior. Rescue groups and shelters know the personalities of the dogs they have there. They know whether they are good with children, whether they are good at walking on a leash, if they are housebroken, if they are okay to stay home alone for an extended period of time, and if they have any aggression issues. I personally think you are better off getting a dog instead of a puppy because you will already know their personality. You are gambling with a puppy. When I was a kid I wanted a cat that I would be able to sleep with and play with, etc. We adopted an 8 week old kitten. That kitten grew up and hated me. I know cats and dogs are different, but you really don't know the personality of an 8 week old dog. Or you could go with adopting an older puppy around 1 year old. Dogs are sooo much easier than puppies if the dog is alreay trained and housebroken!

Also, I would never contribute to pet overpopulation by buying an animal from a breeder. Go with a rescue dog/puppy!!!!!!!!

Edited: sorry I went off on a tangent about shelter dogs vs. breeders. You and DH could compromise by adopting a young dog--not a tiny puppy, but also not an adult dog.

Last edited by rverrone11; 12-20-2006 at 12:12 PM.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Most shelters do test dogs(ask)! I have only had shelter dogs, 3 right now, and no issues whatsoever. If you really want a puppy, wait a few weeks after Christmas, and the shelters will sadly start getting the Christmas puppies coming in

BTW, there are breeds that are better with kids than others. Our American Bulldog was the best nana dog to our kids I could ever ask for. Our labs are good, but jumpy, the Irish Setter has been great, and the pitbull has had toddlers pick his nose with out blinking For me, German Shepards & Akitas scare me, but I know people who love them.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #8
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post
There would not even be a question in my mind...go with rescuing a dog/puppy from a shelter or rescue group. There are many shelters and rescue groups with dogs of all different ages/breeds/etc. The shelter that DH volunteers at does not usually adopt puppies to people with young children. Puppies have very sharp teeth and are not yet trained not to bite. It will take a while for them to learn appropriate behavior. Rescue groups and shelters know the personalities of the dogs they have there. They know whether they are good with children, whether they are good at walking on a leash, if they are housebroken, if they are okay to stay home alone for an extended period of time, and if they have any aggression issues. I personally think you are better off getting a dog instead of a puppy because you will already know their personality. You are gambling with a puppy. When I was a kid I wanted a cat that I would be able to sleep with and play with, etc. We adopted an 8 week old kitten. That kitten grew up and hated me. I know cats and dogs are different, but you really don't know the personality of an 8 week old dog. Or you could go with adopting an older puppy around 1 year old. Dogs are sooo much easier than puppies if the dog is alreay trained and housebroken!

Also, I would never contribute to pet overpopulation by buying an animal from a breeder. Go with a rescue dog/puppy!!!!!!!!
ITA with all you said, but I've said it so many times and they still get a puppy that I've given up.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just did some searches for dogs on Petfinder.com in your area, and tons of dogs and puppies came up. Here is an example: http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=7475819

Go to Petfinder.com, and type in the information on the left side--I just selected "dog" under animal, and then wrote tallahassee, fl. It brought up tons of dogs available. You can narrow your search by selecting the age you want also.

Also, here is a list of shelters in your area: http://www.northfloridapaws.org/wst_page5.html
Old 12-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlemonkeys View Post
ITA with all you said, but I've said it so many times and they still get a puppy that I've given up.
I know, everyone wants a puppy because they are so cute.

In my opinion, it does not matter whether a dog grows up with your children or not as to how dangerous he/she is. It depends on the dog's personality. My friends had a dog that they got as a puppy and that dog nipped and bit everybody his entire life. I have a scar on my arm from him. On the other hand, when I was a kid, we got our dog, Sam--a black lab, when he was 2. I was about 4 at the time. He had been abused by his previous owner. Nevertheless, Sam was excellent around all children and even babies. He never bit anyone. All he wanted to do was please everyone. A dog can snap at any moment, just as a person can. You take that risk no matter whether you adopt a young puppy or an adult dog. It just depends on the particular dog.

Whatever age you decide on, just make sure you adopt from a shelter/rescue group.

Last edited by rverrone11; 12-20-2006 at 12:15 PM.