Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Christmas Puppies Question

christmas is not the best time to get a pet, regardless of where it comes from. that said, i think you should be able to find one at your local humane society that is the right age and temperment to fit with your family. remember that puppies take a tremendous amount of time and energy to train and care for. and i don't know about you, but i am not fond of going outside in the cold 8+ times a day to take a pup out to do his business. i would wait until the weather was more amenable! but that's jsut me! good luck with your decision.

Advertisement

Last edited by titania; 12-20-2006 at 12:44 PM.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #12
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

Tough call. I had a sweet dog from the time he was a puppy, gentle as could be and one day completely unprovoked growled and snapped at Grace.

Needless to say, he moved in with my single brother shortly after.

It made all of us very sad, especially my older children But in the end, I had to keep my child safea nd I never would have trusted him again.

I have since thought about whether I would ever get another puppy/dog. I have decided to wait and revisit the idea when she is older, say 5 or 6, because most children who are bitten are very young children.

I hope you find the perfect new family member
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #13
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post
Also, I would never contribute to pet overpopulation by buying an animal from a breeder. Go with a rescue dog/puppy!!!!!!!!
Please don't lump all breeders into the same boat here. Responsible, ethical breeders do not contribute to pet overpopulation. Back yard breeders, ill informed families that want to *let her have just one litter* or for some reason object to neutering their male, and puppy mills; all of these contribute to pet overpopulation. Rescue groups that bring dogs into this country from other countries to *save* them- contribute to overpopulation in this country.

Anyhoo. . . . There are distinct advantages to puppies AND adults. Do you want to housetrain a puppy with young children in the house? How much added stress will it cause you if your floors are pooped and peed on? If you go this route, look for a breed or mix that is "easier" to housetrain, something like a sporting or working dog (labs, retrievers, etc) and NOT a toy breed. If you will consider an adult animal, look for rescue groups that foster the dogs in people's homes. They will know a lot about that particular dog's history and temperment.

Age is just one factor you should consider. Think about size, coat care, temperment, etc. And wait until after the holidays!

Voltige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #14
bsydprmkn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we got our dog from the pound/rescue shelter. they said he wasnt to be around children, but they were 100% wrong. he is very gentle and protective of the kids and is a total lap dog. i will never buy a dog, i will adopt from a shelter though
Old 12-20-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Please don't lump all breeders into the same boat here. Responsible, ethical breeders do not contribute to pet overpopulation. Back yard breeders, ill informed families that want to *let her have just one litter* or for some reason object to neutering their male, and puppy mills; all of these contribute to pet overpopulation. Rescue groups that bring dogs into this country from other countries to *save* them- contribute to overpopulation in this country.
Well, I agree that not all breeders are the same. There are responsible breeders and then there are puppymill and backyard breeders. I understand your point. But in MY OPINION, anyone who does not spay and neuter their animals is contributing to pet overpopulation (more pets being born=increasing pet population), and yes you are correct that even those that bring in animals from other countries do not help pet overpopulation in the U.S. If people were not breeding their pets, then people would have to adopt their animals from a shelter or rescue group. But, again, that is just my opinion. At least responsible breeders treat their animals well and care about them and their offspring.
rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #16
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11 View Post
Well, I agree that not all breeders are the same. There are responsible breeders and then there are puppymill and backyard breeders. I understand your point. But in MY OPINION, anyone who does not spay and neuter their animals is contributing to pet overpopulation (more pets being born=increasing pet population), and yes you are correct that even those that bring in animals from other countries do not help pet overpopulation in the U.S. If people were not breeding their pets, then people would have to adopt their animals from a shelter or rescue group. But, again, that is just my opinion. At least responsible breeders treat their animals well and care about them and their offspring.
Sorry this is going off topic. Your argument is one frequently made: that if breeders did not breed, then all pets would have to be adopted from shelters. But breeders do not breed pets. Breeders (ethical breeders) breed only from stock that conforms to their very specific breed standard for their next champion. The animals are tested for genetic problems and their health and temperment is of utmost importance. There is a HUGE demand from the educated public for such animals- animals that for some reason do not make it to the show/breed ring and are offered as pets. Many people prefer know EXACTLY what they will be getting in dog- down to the size, color, temperment, and possible health issues. When adopting a mixed breed pup from a shelter, many of these variables are not known. Someone should not be criticized for their choice in buying a dog- if they know what they want and buy it from a breeder. There are other ways to fight pet overpopulation, and I agree it's a problem. Banning the ethical breeding of dogs is not the solution. But this is waaaay off topic and discussion for another thread!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #17
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you ladies know petfinder.com has a forum? They would be quite happy to debate rather or not there is a good breeder with you.

I'm sure a good breeder will try and do right by the breed, but many(most) breeders are just out to make a buck. Sad but true. I have never seen a breeder that spays and neuters animals before selling them.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #18
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Didn't read the post but my advice is to go a week after christmas to the shelters because that is where most "Christmas" puppies wind up. I would never give a puppy as a christmas or birthday gift because it sends the wrong message. Get them for other reasons yes, but as a gift no.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:20 PM   #19
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlemonkeys View Post
I'm sure a good breeder will try and do right by the breed, but many(most) breeders are just out to make a buck. Sad but true. I have never seen a breeder that spays and neuters animals before selling them.
Yes, many breeders are out to make a buck. Most ethical breeders are hobby breeders and lose money. If I place an adult dog, it is spayed or neutered before it leaves my house. Puppies, usually not- but papers are withheld until that pet is spayed/neutered and it comes with a limited registration- so that any resulting puppies can not be registered. I've never had a pet puppy not be spayed/neutered at the appropriate age. It is the breeder's responsibility to home that puppy with folks who will adhere to the contract. If you do a little more research you will find that there are many, many other breeders who do things this way.

I used to breed. I can't afford to anymore. It costs waaaay too much money to do it right. I need that money to buy diapers!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #20
Fullhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Yes, many breeders are out to make a buck. Most ethical breeders are hobby breeders and lose money. If I place an adult dog, it is spayed or neutered before it leaves my house. Puppies, usually not- but papers are withheld until that pet is spayed/neutered and it comes with a limited registration- so that any resulting puppies can not be registered. I've never had a pet puppy not be spayed/neutered at the appropriate age. It is the breeder's responsibility to home that puppy with folks who will adhere to the contract. If you do a little more research you will find that there are many, many other breeders who do things this way.

I used to breed. I can't afford to anymore. It costs waaaay too much money to do it right. I need that money to buy diapers!
I've done research, and done lots of rescue work too. Two dogs in my home are fosters, and lots of un-papered pruebred labs keep filling shelters around here . I guess you feel you do right by your animals, but I am trying to keep-up with the flood of dogs and losing. As far as I can see there are plenty of "oops" puppies to keep up with demand.
Fullhouse is offline   Reply With Quote