Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #21
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

Re: Christmas Puppies Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlemonkeys View Post
I've done research, and done lots of rescue work too. Two dogs in my home are fosters, and lots of un-papered pruebred labs keep filling shelters around here . I guess you feel you do right by your animals, but I am trying to keep-up with the flood of dogs and losing. As far as I can see there are plenty of "oops" puppies to keep up with demand.
Sent you a pm to take this off the thread.

Advertisement

Voltige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:13 PM   #22
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The puppy we got a few years ago came from a shelter and was only a few months old when we got her. Just make sure they can tell you what breeds are in its bloodline if its a mixed breed because our dog turned out to be a bit bigger than we had thought she would be.

Last edited by urchin_grey; 12-20-2006 at 04:57 PM.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #23
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
The puppy we got a few years ago came from a shelter and was only a few months old when we got her. Just make sure they can tell you what breeds are in its bloodline if its a mixed breed because our dog turned out to be a big bigger than we had thought she would be.
We had the exact opposite experience. We thought she was going to grow (appeared to be a yellow lab), but she wound up staying small. Come to find out she's a yellow lab/beagle mix.

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #24
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

Holy cow I didnt know I would get such a response! I show this to DH and see what he says.... everyone IRL says its better to be safe than sorry and go w/ a puppy... We have looked at petfinder, rescue websites, and the like and actually found the puppy we are thinking about getting from craigslist...
I appreciate everyones thoughts..
titania: luckily we are in FL and dont have to worry about weather... it is quite warm outside STILL!!!
I do have a question for jjaelovesenglish: why do you disagree w/ getting a pup as a gift? What kind of message do you think this sends?
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:48 PM   #25
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Love my pound dog, will never ever get a dog from a breeder - there are too many animals that need home to bother breeding animals, IMO. I'm not saying all breeders are irresponsible, not in the least, just I see no need to breed dogs.

My dog is a lab/border collie mix and is awesome! Best dog ever!!!!!! She's my first baby.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:49 PM   #26
grace134
Registered Users
seller

Wait till a few weeks after Christmas. Everyone gets their kids puppies for Christmas, then a couple weeks go by, and they realize, "Hey, I don't want to care for this animal." Then they go to the shelter. It's like how shelters fill up with bunnies after Easter.
You'll save a dog and get a pup.
grace134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:01 PM   #27
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsott View Post
I do have a question for jjaelovesenglish: why do you disagree w/ getting a pup as a gift? What kind of message do you think this sends?
not the op but it sends the msg that the pet is a THING that can be played with for awhile w/the other toys and then cast aside.

more importantly, the holidays are a very stressful time for most families. you have different schedules, more people coming/going, the kids are wound up from all the gifts and changes in routine etc. its a horrible time to bring in a new pet.

I'm not really a fan of bringing in a dog w/young children already in the house but if I were you, I'd give a picture of a dog w/an iou. the kids will have to be a bit patient and get it on 1/15 or 2/1 etc. Whenever things calm down for your family from the holidays

as to what to get, I agree on a young dog from a shelter or a REPUTABLE breeder that tests its dogs for the issues of the breed and discloses the results not Bob & Sue who had 2 dogs that are really sweet and decided to breed them to get one just like fido. and please dont get a designer dog (cockapoo, snauzerpoo, labradoodle etc) those are glorified and expensive muts - just like you can get at the shelter!!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:32 PM   #28
luckyduckies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Please don't lump all breeders into the same boat here. Responsible, ethical breeders do not contribute to pet overpopulation. Back yard breeders, ill informed families that want to *let her have just one litter* or for some reason object to neutering their male, and puppy mills; all of these contribute to pet overpopulation. Rescue groups that bring dogs into this country from other countries to *save* them- contribute to overpopulation in this country.

Anyhoo. . . . There are distinct advantages to puppies AND adults. Do you want to housetrain a puppy with young children in the house? How much added stress will it cause you if your floors are pooped and peed on? If you go this route, look for a breed or mix that is "easier" to housetrain, something like a sporting or working dog (labs, retrievers, etc) and NOT a toy breed. If you will consider an adult animal, look for rescue groups that foster the dogs in people's homes. They will know a lot about that particular dog's history and temperment.

Age is just one factor you should consider. Think about size, coat care, temperment, etc. And wait until after the holidays!

I am a breeder & I rescue!! 1st what breed do you want?Have you researched them?Even a mix will have alot of one or 2 dogs and their traits.How much time do you have to train a puppy?Do you want a "working dog" unless he or she is older they will need jobs to be happy.....lots of running,fetching,ect.

Puppies need trained,they chew,the eat more when growing than an adult.

A shelter dog might have an unknown history or unknow prior bad acts.

I recommend a rescue dog!! They will be utd on shots,altered,housebroken,and possibly trained.The foster mom has lived with him/her and knows their personality and habits.There are GREAT rescues for every breed and most transport

if your wanting a Christmas pup I am sorry your probably limited to a shelter or "backyard or mill" breeder" because rescues have home visits and MOST ethical breeders have waiting lists or do not sell to impulse buyers.I have an intense application for my buyers and a wait time(but most have been on a waiting list).Remember those cute pups at the pet store are from brokers AKA puppy mills.No ethical breeder would sale their "babies" to a pet store.

Good Luck whatever you guys decide!
luckyduckies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:52 PM   #29
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

(just to clarify, I'm curious and definitely NOT being snarky)

Why does everyone say to wait until after christmas? Is it because people will end up giving up their puppies (Christmas presents) or what? I'm getting a puppy soon (family friend, an 'oops' pregnancy)...and it'll be in the next...4 weeks or so. Just curious Oh, and what was the thing with a bigger breed vs. a toy breed? The puppy I'm getting (for me, not a Christmas present ) is a daschund (mom) and pinscher (dad)...the pup I've 'claimed' is the biggest of the 3 pups..

Sorry, totally OT!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:56 PM   #30
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are looking at bigger dogs... Our family dog who we had to put down last spring was a German Rottweiler from England (when DH was in the military) and weighed 110 lbs....until he had his hind leg removed last fall in an effort to save him from cancer... we are thinking about boxers, specifically....
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote