Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2006, 01:59 PM   #31
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Christmas Puppies Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls~Kain~Drake View Post
(just to clarify, I'm curious and definitely NOT being snarky)

Why does everyone say to wait until after christmas? Is it because people will end up giving up their puppies (Christmas presents) or what? I'm getting a puppy soon (family friend, an 'oops' pregnancy)...and it'll be in the next...4 weeks or so. Just curious Oh, and what was the thing with a bigger breed vs. a toy breed? The puppy I'm getting (for me, not a Christmas present ) is a daschund (mom) and pinscher (dad)...the pup I've 'claimed' is the biggest of the 3 pups..

Sorry, totally OT!
People don't realize how much work puppies are. They think they are a good present and then realize a few weeks later how much work they are. Thus, the pups sadly end up in shelters. Same thing happens after Easter with bunnies. People buy bunnies as presents. A few weeks later the bunnies end up in shelters and rescue groups.

I don't know the answer to your second question but I'm sure one of the other posters will know.

Advertisement

rverrone11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #32
Voltige
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls~Kain~Drake View Post
Oh, and what was the thing with a bigger breed vs. a toy breed? The puppy I'm getting (for me, not a Christmas present ) is a daschund (mom) and pinscher (dad)...the pup I've 'claimed' is the biggest of the 3 pups..

Sorry, totally OT!

Smaller breeds are, with some exception, MUCH more difficult to housetrain. I own, show, and used to breed papillons. I have also been very active in the rescue groups. The #1 reason papillons (and many other small breeds) end up in rescue is due to housetraining issues. Out of the three dogs I currently have, only ONE would I consider *easily* housetrained. The other two- very difficult. I still can't trust them alone in the house for any length of time and they are crated when I am not here. My mom's 9 month old Golden is more reliable than my 7 year old and 2 year old papillons- for house training anyway- not for other destructive behaviors, LOL!
Voltige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:47 PM   #33
mary.margaret
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wholeheartedly agree that adopting a dog from a shelter is an awesome idea! But please be very cautious. We adopted a lovely dog from our local animal shelter this past summer, and based on her personality testing they thought she had even come from a home with kids (she was a stray so no specific background, just based on the way she behaved around kids). She was nervous around one trainer that had come to the shelter, and they told us of her response in that situation, but from all other accounts she seemed to be a very well adjusted and lovable dog.

The first day we had her home she pinned our 12 mo old to the ground with her teeth at his neck, growling at him - but not hurting him. I was terrified, but it was her first day home so my husband said to give her another chance. We managed really strictly the time she spent with the kids (could never leave the room with them together) and even still she nipped our 3 year old once or twice - again not hurting, just warning. But overall she was loving right up to us and we really enjoyed her.

Then one day, 6 weeks after her adoption, my husband went to gently put her in her kennel for the night and she turned around and groweled, then bit him badly in two places on his hand. He had to go to the ER to have the wounds treated (thankfully it turned out to be ok, it healed in a couple of weeks) and because she wouldn't let any of us near her after that we had to have the animal control officers come and take her back to the shelter.

It was a very sad story - she was a lovely dog 99% of the time - and we had all grown to love her! But it has made us much more nervous around getting a dog from a shelter ONLY BECAUSE we have 2 young boys and their saftey is our #1 concern. If it was just me and my hubby, we wouldn't be as nervous about trying again. But I told him that I had to have a dog that I could trust, so he said we should get a puppy that would grow up with the kids.

We ended up getting a golden retriever puppy this month from a reputable breeder. I am still sad that Foxie, our shelter dog didn't work out. But as there weren't any puppies in the paper or at both our local shelters for over 4 months we decided to buy one and she's been great (of course since she's so young we only have so much to go on) but housebreaking is certainly a lot of work!

Just thought I'd share my story so that if you do get a pup or dog from a shelter you proceed with caution (and not haste!!!!) and make absolutely triple sure that the dog is right for you and your family. There are lovely dogs that come from shelters and need homes - then there are some that unfortunatly have had rough lives that we don't know about and are more risky to adopt with little kids.

Good luck! Hope you find a big or little furball to share your life with!
Mary-Margaret
Old 12-21-2006, 03:05 PM   #34
pingumel

ITA with mary-margaret. we are rescue folks through and through, mind you. i have grown up with rescue dogs and we've always adopted rescue dogs. the last dog we adopted was virtually angelic with us. but we discovered several days later, that if you put him in a situation he was fearful of, like taking him to the vet, he would growl and bite! they call this the "fear-biting" trait. it is one of the most difficult things to train out of a dog. and, needless to say, a dangerous one around children, who are unpredictable by nature. so we returned him.
(and adopted our current dog from a shelter for $20! as a 1 year old - and she has been great, even though she still acts like a puppy 2 years later.)
Old 12-21-2006, 03:55 PM   #35
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have decided on a dog... a boxer... not from a shelter. Maybe when the girls get older, we will consider adopting a dog from a shelter as our second dog.... but for now, we are going w/ this one... isnt she the cutest, though? of course puppies take a lot of work, but so do babies, and the dog is a part of our family just hte same, kwim? If you give up on a pup due to the difficulties house training them, then you shouldn't have one in the first place.

any ideas for a girl pup name??
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #36
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh she is a cutie! boxers are my favorite breed. when we are ready for another dog (years down the road) it will probably be another boxer. have you had one before? in case you haven't, i want to let you know first hand that they require a lot of training and attention. they are prone to destruction. mine ate my couch, ate a chair, chewed/clawed through a couple of solid wood doors, got into the refrigerator, knocked down the christmas tree etc etc. but he was such a joy. he ended up getting cancer (lymphoma), and through chemotherapy, he was such a trooper. as he was dying he was still so concerned about me, trying to lick my tears and wag his tail.

sorry. i guess i still miss him. i hope you are very happy with your new family member. she is sure to be an absolute joy to you and your kids.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #37
Taylor
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsott View Post
DH and I are in a slight debate... we both see sides to each others arguement...We want to get a pup for our DD's for Christmas... we had one who was put to sleep last spring, and we are now all ready to have a new canine. Here is my side: I want to save a dog... Our last dog was saved, my child hood dog was saved.. I have been looking online and see so many that are going to die if not saved. Plus they are on average 75 bucks, which is way more in our price range. DH wants to buy a new pup, b/c a puppy that is 8 weeks old would not be so likely to attack one of our children, and we would not have to worry about the dog having an abusive past which may cause one to be more aggresive....

What would you do?
I would choose a breed that has a great reputation with children (labradors, golden retrievers..) and then find a reputable rescue in your area that does temperment testing. A private rescue places their dogs into foster homes, so the foster parents are able to acclimate the foster dog to a home setting (something a shelter cannot do) and can really get to know the dog (because you really cannot get to know a dog in a shelter setting). I'm all for saving dogs in shelters - but when you're dealing with bringing a family member into an already established family with children, it's best to be on the safe side.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:54 PM   #38
mrsott
Registered Users

My Mood:

aawww... he sure sounds like he was a great pup!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania View Post
oh she is a cutie! boxers are my favorite breed. when we are ready for another dog (years down the road) it will probably be another boxer. have you had one before? in case you haven't, i want to let you know first hand that they require a lot of training and attention. they are prone to destruction. mine ate my couch, ate a chair, chewed/clawed through a couple of solid wood doors, got into the refrigerator, knocked down the christmas tree etc etc. but he was such a joy. he ended up getting cancer (lymphoma), and through chemotherapy, he was such a trooper. as he was dying he was still so concerned about me, trying to lick my tears and wag his tail.

sorry. i guess i still miss him. i hope you are very happy with your new family member. she is sure to be an absolute joy to you and your kids.
mrsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:59 AM   #39
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love boxers A couple of friends of ours are really big into boxer (and other) rescue groups...he's got a white boxer, from a pup...she's such a character A great dog. She's lovingly called Kira Bean :P Anyway, OT, but wanted to share.