Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
"But I have to go potty"

Help me out here Mamas! I have a little DC boy who is 3.5 and potty trained about a month ago. Recently he has started using "I have to go potty" as an excuse for EVERYTHING. If it's time to pick up the toys he has to go potty every 5 minutes, time to eat, sleep etc same thing. I hate to refuse a child who wants to go potty but this is getting ridiculous. I KNOW he has just gone and is using it as an excuse. This is a very bright little boy. WHat do you suggest?

Advertisement

Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "But I have to go potty"

Maybe incorporate potty time before you want him to do something like pick up toys? You could say it's potty time and remind him to get all the pee pee out and then set a time for 15 minutes (or whatever time is good for you) to pick up toys. You can tell him it's a potty timer and that he can go potty as soon as it dings but until then it's clean up time.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Do you know how long he can hold it and do you know when he goes? If so, I would just tell him that he just went potty so long ago and that he can wait a little longer. My oldest used to do that, too. Still does on occasion and she's 8 now.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, he tells me every time he goes and I usually have him go to the potty when we transition between things. He can hold it quite a while.

We already use a timer for picking up so I will try telling him he must wait until the timer rings to go potty.

He is driving me a bit nuts with this...lol
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

All of my children did this when they were newly potty-trained. I didn't deny them at first but I did let them know after they didn't go that I didn't like when they potty-fibbed. Once I knew better that they could hold it, I just asked them to wait a little longer. It's an exciting new thing your DC has learned and he's using every opportunity to keep it going! Don't worry, just go along with it for awhile, it won't last forever.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote