Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
cpicard
Registered Users

My Mood:
Is ammonia DANGEROUS???

I walked into my son's bedroom this morning... and it smelled like somebody dumped a bottle of chemical cleaner all over his bedding etc. Horrible. It was even making my eyes water when changing him. I am new to cloth diapering and recently purchased used diapers. We have mostly all fuzzi bunz. I washed them- but this was the first time using this particular diaper. Maybe it was one with previous ammonia issues? All new to me... anyway- I wasn't sure if this was dangerous for my son to be breathing in. I just went into his room and after three hours of changing him... the bedroom still smells terrible! (I stripped the bed and everything!)

Also- It seems like no matter what I add for inserts- microfiber with an additional hemp... both kiddos (6 mo. and 1 1/2 yrs) are still leaking out. I am afraid if this continues, I might have to quit cloth diapering.

Please help! Thanks!

Advertisement

cpicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
snugsboutique
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is ammonia DANGEROUS???

That is the problem with used diapers. Sometimes the PUL loses it's water risitence and you may need to spray them with some waterproofing spay (camping section at the department store) or just buy new ones. You could try using covers too. Also make sure the leg elastics are firm ( but not too frim) and are up around the groin area (not down around the thigh).

Did you open the window in his room and try a fan? I've had this happen before too. I don't think ammonia is that bad in small doses.

P.S. you could stip the diapers too, there are lots of good threads on how to do this.
snugsboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
mom2ally06
Registered Users
seller

other than burning the skin i dont think so
Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

From the MSDS (material data safety sheet, you can google "msds ammonia" to read the whole thing):

Very hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, irritant, permeator), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, .
Non-corrosive to the eyes. Non-corrosive for lungs. Liquid or spray mist may produce tissue damage
particularly on mucous membranes of eyes, mouth and respiratory tract. Skin contact may produce burns.
Inhalation of the spray mist may produce severe irritation of respiratory tract, characterized by coughing, choking,
or shortness of breath. Severe over-exposure can result in death. Inflammation of the eye is characterized by
redness, watering, and itching. Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening, or, occasionally,
blistering.

The substance is toxic to upper respiratory tract, skin, eyes.
Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage. Repeated or prolonged
contact with spray mist may produce chronic eye irritation and severe skin irritation. Repeated or prolonged
exposure to spray mist may produce respiratory tract irritation leading to frequent attacks of bronchial infection.
Repeated exposure to a highly toxic material may produce general deterioration of health by an accumulation in
one or many human organs.

Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans:
Acute Potential Health Effects:
Skin: Causes severe irritation. Causes skin burns. May cause deep, penetrating ulcers of the skin. Contact
with skin may cause staining, inflammation, and thickening of the skin.
Eye: Contact with liquid or vapor causes severe burns and possible irreversible eye damage including corneal
injury and cataracts.
Inhalation: Causes severe irritation of the upper respiratory tract with coughing, burns, breathing difficulty. May
cause acute pulmonary edema, pneumoconiosis, fibrosis, and even coma. It is a respiratory stimulant when
inhaled at lower concentrations. It may also affect behavior/central nervous system (convulsions, seizures, ataxia,
tremor), cardiovascular system (increase in blood pressure and pulse rate).
Ingestion: Harmful if swallowed. Affects the Gastrointestinal tract (burns, swelling of the lips, mouth, and larynx,
throat constriction, nausea, vomiting, convulsions, shock, and may cause severe and permanent damage), liver,
and urinary system (kidneys) May affect behavior (convulsions, seizures, ataxia, excitement).
Chronic Potential Health Effects:
Ingestion: May cause effects similar to those of acute ingestion.
Inhalation: Repeated exposure to low concentrations may cause bronchitis with cough, phlegm, and/or shortness
of breath. May also cause liver and kidney damage, and affect the brain, and blood.
Eye: May cause corneal damage and the development of cataracts and glaucoma.
Skin: Repeated skin contact to low concentrations may cause dryness, itching, and redness (dermatitis)
Old 05-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
cupcakesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2two View Post
From the MSDS (material data safety sheet, you can google "msds ammonia" to read the whole thing):

Very hazardous in case of skin contact (corrosive, irritant, permeator), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, .
Non-corrosive to the eyes. Non-corrosive for lungs. Liquid or spray mist may produce tissue damage
particularly on mucous membranes of eyes, mouth and respiratory tract. Skin contact may produce burns.
Inhalation of the spray mist may produce severe irritation of respiratory tract, characterized by coughing, choking,
or shortness of breath. Severe over-exposure can result in death. Inflammation of the eye is characterized by
redness, watering, and itching. Skin inflammation is characterized by itching, scaling, reddening, or, occasionally,
blistering.

The substance is toxic to upper respiratory tract, skin, eyes.
Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage. Repeated or prolonged
contact with spray mist may produce chronic eye irritation and severe skin irritation. Repeated or prolonged
exposure to spray mist may produce respiratory tract irritation leading to frequent attacks of bronchial infection.
Repeated exposure to a highly toxic material may produce general deterioration of health by an accumulation in
one or many human organs.

Special Remarks on other Toxic Effects on Humans:
Acute Potential Health Effects:
Skin: Causes severe irritation. Causes skin burns. May cause deep, penetrating ulcers of the skin. Contact
with skin may cause staining, inflammation, and thickening of the skin.
Eye: Contact with liquid or vapor causes severe burns and possible irreversible eye damage including corneal
injury and cataracts.
Inhalation: Causes severe irritation of the upper respiratory tract with coughing, burns, breathing difficulty. May
cause acute pulmonary edema, pneumoconiosis, fibrosis, and even coma. It is a respiratory stimulant when
inhaled at lower concentrations. It may also affect behavior/central nervous system (convulsions, seizures, ataxia,
tremor), cardiovascular system (increase in blood pressure and pulse rate).
Ingestion: Harmful if swallowed. Affects the Gastrointestinal tract (burns, swelling of the lips, mouth, and larynx,
throat constriction, nausea, vomiting, convulsions, shock, and may cause severe and permanent damage), liver,
and urinary system (kidneys) May affect behavior (convulsions, seizures, ataxia, excitement).
Chronic Potential Health Effects:
Ingestion: May cause effects similar to those of acute ingestion.
Inhalation: Repeated exposure to low concentrations may cause bronchitis with cough, phlegm, and/or shortness
of breath. May also cause liver and kidney damage, and affect the brain, and blood.
Eye: May cause corneal damage and the development of cataracts and glaucoma.
Skin: Repeated skin contact to low concentrations may cause dryness, itching, and redness (dermatitis)
yeah but MSDS is designed for toxic spills or places like a chemistry lab where they would have more than a few diapers full of the stuff.....
#2 surprise due in Nov 2014
cupcakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
littlerabbits
Registered Users
seller

The ammonia really burns their genitals. Must fix the problem. I had the same issues with my son's diapers, then I switched to a wet pail and I nolonger get ammonia in my diapers.