Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Mommyof2Princesses
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question !4 month old with hives?

My oldest never had hives, so I was terrified when my 14 month old dd woke up with hives all over her stomach. The doctor says nothing can be done, but it's been over a week and they just keep coming and disappearing and coming back. Any advice or help is appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Mommyof2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
beanmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: !4 month old with hives?

Has she had any new foods lately? Sometimes allergies cause a hive looking rash most often it appears on the "trunk" of the body so her stomach would be right inline with that. You might want to keep a little food log and see if you can find anything that "triggers" it...seems like it might be a possibility since it's coming and going, and the concentration of the offender in her system would vary as well. Just a thought...I really hope she feels better soon, I'm sure she's itchy
beanmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 AM   #3
LAF512
Registered Users
seller

My dd has broken out in hives several times due to food allergies or reactions to new detergents. I agree with previous poster to keep a food log and see if there is a common link for when the hives appear. Remember that food allergies can show up at any time even if your dc has never had a reaction to a certain food before.

Also, children's benedryl will help make the hives disappear and less itchy for your dd. My dd is 23 lbs and we use 1 tsp. I'm not sure on the dosage for other weights, though.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

My friend's little girl was about 15mths old when she woke up w/hives the day after halloween, the only thing different she had eaten was m&m's, but she ate a ton of them so it was determined that it was a food dye in the m&m's that gave her the hives. It was not quite 2 weeks before they were gone. Benydryl will help her feel better.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
3sweeties
Registered Users

My dd had this around 3-4 months and I've found out that she is #1: sensitive to heat in the summer and being dressed too warm in the winter;
#2: has a slight case of eczema that flares up with certain foods or dry skin; and #3: JUST FOUND OUT (she's 14 mos.) that she breaks out when I use the Burt's Bees Baby Buttermilk lotion! Any chance you're using that? My friend's baby was breaking out and we were talking about it, in passing, and come to find out it was the Burt's Bees, too.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
Mommyof2Princesses
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just started keeping a food log, so I will be keeping an eye one that. One more question, she still nurses, could it be something I'm eating?
Mommyof2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
blissfullyblessed
Registered Users
Formerly: kerstynsmom
seller

My Mood:

Oh my - I have hives, and they stink!! Mine have seemed to have gotton really bad since I've had DD . The derm. said it could be food related, and stress can also bring on a flare. Mine only seem to be bad in the summer. I got this hive treatment stuff on the web, and it really works - for me anyway. I'll post the book they sent me on them.

As far as your nursing - if there have been changes in your diet that can most certainly have an affect on her.

hives ebookPM me if it didn't work, and I'll forward it to you by email
Old 12-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #8
~stacy~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No idea if it could be something you are eating or not. But I am guessing it isn't likely unless you started eating something different at the same time as the breakout.

My DS was about 14 months and still BFing when he broke out with hives the one and only time in his life so far. He had gotten his head scraped on our chimney and we cleaned it and put liquid bandaid on it. Well the next morning he had hives head to toe in reaction to the liquid bandaid. We gave him Childrens Benedryl according to our peds directions. But it still took 5 days or so for them to go away completely. The ped said it would take even longer without the help of the antihistimines in the benedryl.

So.... it actually could be a one-time allergic reaction to anything unusual. Doesn't have to be food.

Anyhow, GL and I hope your kiddo is feeling better soon.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

This same exact thing happened to us. It took us several days to figure it out.
It was the new VITAMINS i started taking (dd was nursing, lol)
They have bee pollen in them, which it turns out she is alergic to. Which makes sense, since i am allergic to bee stings and the pollen too (sigh...i missed it on the ingredient list....)
It is so weird to have your child just vreak out into hives and not know why.
Definitely keep a log of all foods and stuff she touches....it can be something she is coming into contact with, or something she is ingesting.....gooid luck!
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote