Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-20-2006, 11:44 AM   #1
Registered Users
Sleep positioning

Hi mamas!
So here's a question for ya! My dd is almost 3 mths old and keeps turning over onto her belly at night... she normally panics and cries as she can't turn back over on her back. I found her asleep on her tummy so I wondered if I should have woke her up and put her on her back or just let her sleep like that? Is this safe? I'm worried about that sids thing. Oh yes, and another thing.... I know that bumper pads are not recommended but she keeps banging her head on the rails and getting her arms and legs stuck.

queenie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Sleep positioning

we have just overcome this problem but for me it started later. my dd didn't start to roll over regularly until she was 5 months.
it started out w/your problem.... i would put her on her back, she would roll over- couldn't get back over and cry. it started with lots of wakenings and us going into her room all the time which led to even more wakenings....
Just 2 weeks ago i decided to put her in her crib on her side, she thus gently rolls over to her belly when i am standing there.... it happens right away. i basically just gave in and let her sleep on her belly.
I feel OK about it because we have that Angel Care monitor which detects movement so if she were to stop breathing an alarm would go off. she is sleeping a whole lot better now and so am i...

the bumper thing. i have a breathable mesh bumper i got from target. it's not pretty but solves the problem and is safe!
"Obstacles are those frightening things that become visible when we take our eyes off our goals."
-Henry Ford

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Registered Users

My understanding of the prevailing wisdom among pediatricians is that if they are old enough to get to their bellies on their own, then there is little risk in leaving them there once they roll over.

After all, even if you put her to sleep on her back unless you stand over her all night you won't know when she rolls over.

I never used bumper pads or anything else (blankets included) in the crib until my kids were much older
Lucky Mama to 5
old DS feedback
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
Registered Users

My Dr said the same thing about if they're old enough to roll over, they're old enough to sleep like that safely. I'd use the mesh that another mama mentioned. Good luck
WOHM to two elementary school boys and more on the way
apelilae is offline   Reply With Quote