Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
Radhanuga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Two questions about flats and prefolds

First: I want to try flats. I got two in a swap but they were (I swear) the cheese cloth from Walmart, couldn't be snappied or they'd tear.

So where can I find REAL and good flats?

Second: I'm discovering a new love for prefolds, we have premium and I love them, baby is 3 months old but very tall and with a big butt
My problem is I can't find a cover that fits her right over prefolds. MEAF which i loved with my son just don't fit her right at all. Proraps leave huge red marks. She's allergic to wool. Stacinator SoSimple (again I loved for our son) don't fit her good at all. I love the fit of wonderwraps but they leak after a short time (she's a super heavy peer, soaks through premium pf with doubler in 1.5 hour) No cover is not an option as we have carpet everywhere and she's mobile.
What do you recommend? (I'm getting 2 BSWW in a trade, so will see if those work) I really like windpro/fleece.

Thank you!
Ys,
Radhanuga

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #2
hssusie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Two questions about flats and prefolds

Here are the best flats that I have used:
https://secure19.nexternal.com/share...t=products.asp

I have used BSWW, Thirsties, and Rikki wraps all with success while using pfs.

I find that fleece will have some wicking with pfs and the two together are bulky.

I hope your Bummis you bought through FSOT are good. After a while they will start wicking. If that is the case with yours then just give them a good hand washing with some dish detergent to get the residue off of them, and they should work fine.

You are as much serving God in looking after your own children, training them up in God's fear, minding the house, and making your household a church for God as you would be if you had been called to lead an army to battle for the Lord of hosts. ~Charles Spurgeon
hssusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

These rock!
http://www.babycottonbottoms.com/flat_diapers.htm

Laura who's loving life
Dyeing/Knitting WAHM
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
hssusie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraheartsherlittleone View Post
I have some of the Thirsties from BabyCottonBottoms and as much as I want to like them I can only tollerate them. Their shape is all wonky after drying and they are not nearly as soft as the BabyTextiles. Now for the price I guess they are good since the shipping is only 3.50. But MommaCommuneBotique sells the same dipes with free shipping.

You are as much serving God in looking after your own children, training them up in God's fear, minding the house, and making your household a church for God as you would be if you had been called to lead an army to battle for the Lord of hosts. ~Charles Spurgeon
Old 12-21-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
mama_2_two
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just got my first flats this week! We've used prefolds almost exclusively up until this point. Anyway, I love them! I got TEGS flats from integritydiaper.com. Although I don't have anything to compare them to, they are very absorbent, and even when I use two together, they are less bulky than a premium prefold. I'm still experimenting with the best fold. My dd is long and skinny.

Anyway, as far as covers go, I really like a Litewrap over a prefold. The gussets cover right the first time without having to stuff the prefold in around the legs once the cover is fastened. I find that I use pull-ons most of the time though...
Old 12-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #6
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hssusie View Post
I have some of the Thirsties from BabyCottonBottoms and as much as I want to like them I can only tollerate them. Their shape is all wonky after drying and they are not nearly as soft as the BabyTextiles. Now for the price I guess they are good since the shipping is only 3.50. But MommaCommuneBotique sells the same dipes with free shipping.
See... I like how thick they are. Mine have been through multiple wash/dry cycles and are still good to go. Maybe I lucked up. Are there places that sell good quality non-Gerber flats? I clicked on the link above BCB and only saw Gerbers... but maybe I missed something.

Laura who's loving life
Dyeing/Knitting WAHM
Old 12-21-2006, 08:12 PM   #7
hssusie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraheartsherlittleone View Post
See... I like how thick they are. Mine have been through multiple wash/dry cycles and are still good to go. Maybe I lucked up. Are there places that sell good quality non-Gerber flats? I clicked on the link above BCB and only saw Gerbers... but maybe I missed something.

The link I provided above is certainly NOT Gerber. They are Baby Textiles. I don't know why, but when I provide a direct link to the page with the flats it goes to the Home Page of ClothDiapers.com. Just click on the prefold pic then follow the *yellow brick road* till you get to the Baby Textile Flats page. These are just as thick as Thirsties, though not as long, but they are much softer and hold their shape better.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hssusie View Post
The link I provided above is certainly NOT Gerber. They are Baby Textiles. I don't know why, but when I provide a direct link to the page with the flats it goes to the Home Page of ClothDiapers.com. Just click on the prefold pic then follow the *yellow brick road* till you get to the Baby Textile Flats page. These are just as thick as Thirsties, though not as long, but they are much softer and hold their shape better.
Oh cool! Maybe it was the "gerber store" link that was throwing me off. I will *definitely* have to try some if they are as thick as thirsties. I was just imagining paying for flats and ending up with the gerber type ones.

Laura who's loving life
Dyeing/Knitting WAHM
Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 PM   #9
b0000urns
Registered Users

We've only used flats and have had great success. All of them are two-ply 20"x40" cotton gauze. As my son has grown (slowly) we just modify the way we fold the diapers to get them to fit properly. The few that have worn out now make great cleaning rags or shoe shine cloths. We purchased them at a store in Costa Rica (where my wife is from) and they are labeled as being from Iris Textiles.
b0000urns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There is a mama on here who made us an awesome cover but DD outgrew it and I know she has an awesome product. She might have a smaller one left, check WAHM wares. I will remember her name one of these days.