Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Canning Need HELP Quick...

So I've never done it and only need to seal two jars to be sent away. I don't have a canner so was wondering if anyone knows how to do it just in a pot/boiling....any help would be great....THANKS MAMAS

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:
Re: Canning Need HELP Quick...

makes it easier if you have an asparagus steamer... but if not... fill a pot with water that would be deep enough to just cover the canning lid, bring to a soft boil, put the jars in, let it boil for about 5-10 minutes.

sometimes if your jar is hot enough, the lids are hot enough and you're ladeling in hot stuff, you don't need to boil. Ladel what ever you're canning into the jar, quickly clean off the threads, toss on the lid and ring, finger tighten it, and while it's cooling, it'll seal itself.

good luck! Whatcha canning? I made jams and tomato sauce for Christmas presents.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
elijahsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Canning Need HELP Quick...

I'm doing raspberry jam...but I'm using the nocook stuff(I know, I know not as good prob. but I'm a newbie to this, hopefully next year I'll go full blown )

So within that if I'm putting in jam that isn't hot can this method still work or do I need to boil them after I tighten the lid? If I do need to boil do I just put the cans in boiling water and for how long??? Sorry for all the Questions, like I said I'm new at this