Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
justbishop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Naps in Bassinet and Day/Night Confusion

I'm a first time mom with no prior infant experience, so I may be WAY off point here, but I've been really adamant about DD napping in her swing in the living room during the day, rather than in her bassinet in our bedroom (where she sleeps at night). I figured that using the 2 different places for the 2 different circumstances would help her to distinguish day from night.

I do believe it's helped, as she's been sleeping a solid 10-12 hours overnight for a good 3 weeks now (she's currently around 3 months old, and she'd been sleeping a good 6-7 hours overnight before that since she was about 1.5 mo.), but for the past few days, her swing naps have not been going well. She's been napping for 30 min. to an hour at a time, when she usually would sleep soundly for a good 3 hour stretch from about 12:30 - 3:30 or so. I feel like she's not been getting a good enough afternoon nap, and it's been causing her to be cranky almost to the point of being inconsolable in the evening.

When I noticed her starting to rub her eyes and get sleepy at about 11am today, I decided to try putting her in the bassinet for her nap. I left the bedroom door open (it's right off of our LR) and opened the curtains in there, so hopefully that will make things a little less like nighttime.

Anyway, my question is: is it the norm to put babies down in their crib/bassinet for daytime naps, and if you do, has it affected the baby's nighttime sleep or perception of day vs. night?

ETA: ugh...she was out like a light 5 mins after I laid her down in there @ 11, and lo and behold, 11:30 and she's lying in there wide awake. ><;;

Advertisement

Last edited by justbishop; 06-04-2009 at 09:46 AM.
justbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
justbishop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Naps in Bassinet and Day/Night Confusion

Anyone?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
laceymr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As a nanny I always had the babes sleep in their cribs for their nap, but I left the curtains open and woke them at the end of the designated nap-time. These were kiddos that were on a very strict routine.
Because of the sunlight and the difference in ritual (nap is after lunch, bedtime is after dinner, bath, book) the kids grew to understand the difference even though nap was in the same place as bedtime. I worked with them until they were 5 and they always did well with this-- even when we moved to "big boy beds".
laceymr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
jen_mahar
Registered Users
seller

ok.
I am not the most popular sleep person.
I don't co sleep....they always go right into their room...into the crib.
That being said.
they both have always slept both day and night in the crib and I don't use a swing, both kids hated it. I can't sleep with them in my room, it keeps me up all night.
Plus, I know mom's who have their little one who nape in the swin because it is downstairs and I asked one and she said that once they get a little bigger both of her children stopped wanting to be in the swing for naps. She thought they were less comfortable.

Naps in rooms are just fine.
If she already knows night from day she should not get confused at this point. but if you are worried. leave the shades open.....now that mine are getting a bit bigger (4&2) and the 3rd is on the way I look forward to nap time but know I need to wake them up by a certain time if bed time is going to be at their normal time.

I will say though.
when my oldest was born my apendex started to go...but ii had a c-section and they put me on meds to try and wait to do the operation. for 5 weeks I could harldly lift anything and I was living on pain meds. so nap times were in my lap or on my bed with me......it took me 4 months to fully break her of this and to this day she would rather nap on the couch.
jen_mahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i did the same thing as you with my dd because ds always always went down in his dark quiet room and has always been a terrible sleeper so i attributed it to that i would have dd nap in the living room on a pallet, in the swing, etc but it seems that as she got older that just stopped working she's almost 7 months now and she naps and sleeps in the crib in her bedroom and she does great at night still. (goes to bed at 7:30 wakes once to eat at 3 or 4 then up for the day at 7:00) in the morning i go in and tell her good morning and open up the blinds to let the daylight in and i don't close them until it's time to get ready for bed. i figure that little bit of sunshine peeking in will help her remember it's daytime seems to be working ok so far!

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
justbishop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome, thanks ladies!

After her 30 minute early afternoon nap, she got up and we played a bit longer, had her 1pm bottle, and then she got sleepy again. Put her back in the bassinet at around 1:45. She woke up when I did that, but was out in about 5 minutes or so (we don't do CIO, I just go in to soothe her and replace her paci when she starts crying). I was in there to take a shower at quarter after 2, and I think that woke her up b/c she was awake and fussing when I got out at 2:30...gave her back her paci and she was out again, so she's obviously tired.

Anyway, it's 3:10 and she's still asleep
Old 06-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

awesome! that's good that she can go back to sleep, my kids don't believe in going back to sleep once they're woken

Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #8
justbishop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^ LOL, I got lucky this time...she isn't always so agreeable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_mahar View Post
ok.
I am not the most popular sleep person.
I don't co sleep....they always go right into their room...into the crib.
No worries! The MAIN reason that DD has been in our bedroom for this long is because hers still needs to be built! If DH would have gotten his butt in gear and built the wall upstairs earlier (he still hasn't even bought materials yet), she'd probably have been moved back when I was getting 6-7 hours out of her
Old 06-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbishop View Post
^ LOL, I got lucky this time...she isn't always so agreeable!

No worries! The MAIN reason that DD has been in our bedroom for this long is because hers still needs to be built! If DH would have gotten his butt in gear and built the wall upstairs earlier (he still hasn't even bought materials yet), she'd probably have been moved back when I was getting 6-7 hours out of her

i feel your pain, i like to keep my babies in our room at first but only for the first month or so because it seems like after that we all start waking each other we lived in a 2BR apartment so dd was in our room and we had planned to move out in february (by the time she was 3 months old) but didn't actually close on the house until the first of may! luckily we're here now so she has her own room and we're all sleeping much more soundly! she instantly went right back to sleeping more at night

Old 06-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS always napped where he slept at night when at home. He has been with a sitter 4-5 days per week since he was 7 weeks so the majority of his naps are in a different location than where he sleeps at night. We have always closed the shades during naps and nightime but naturally more light comes in during the day.

I think it's routine that causes naps to be short and nighttime to be long.