Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
beckers1111
Registered Users
seller

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I've completely lost it!-UPDATED IN POST 16

Im sitting here BAWLING my eyes out, maybe its becuase Im PMSing I dont know, I cant help but be freaking out about this. Heres the story, please someone help me......

My DD is 3 and was potty trained-fully, pooping peeing and everything.....until about July, then she started holding in her poop. She will go and hide and hold it in. When she does this, she also poops a little in her underwear, to where we change her 6-10 times a day. she has a few good days, and then she holds it for a couple days and then its a struggle to get her on the potty, when I ask her why she is doing this she just says I dont know. This has been going on since JULY! the ped said its normal and that a lot ofkids go through regression, but 5 months of this!!!!! can that be normal?

Ive tried EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF! weve done sticker charts, rewards, done nothing, ignored it, asked her 25 times a day if she needed to go, had set times when she needed to try, even resorted back to diapers for a day and nothing has worked....

My one IRL friend, and DH have no advice....so Im turning to the only other support I have.... you guys on Diaperswappers....please please please help me. Im about to throw myself through a wall!

Advertisement

Last edited by beckers1111; 12-29-2006 at 10:47 AM.
beckers1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:
Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I've completely lost it!

did something huge happen in July ?? ie: moved , new baby, new daycare?? I dont think its so bad..my lil brother did this for awhile and then 1 day he just stopped??? sorry im not much help
Old 12-22-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
beckers1111
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
did something huge happen in July ?? ie: moved , new baby, new daycare?? I dont think its so bad..my lil brother did this for awhile and then 1 day he just stopped??? sorry im not much help

The Ped asked me that too....and there was nothing in july....no baby, no move, no daycare, nothing, absolutely nothing.
*sigh*
thanks mama.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh...I KNOW how frustrating that is. My DD did that too.

Here's what her doc came up with: If she holds it, then she gets constipated, and it hurts to go. Then she holds it more, and then it hurts more...you get the picture.

We cut out all cheese from her diet , boosted the fruits and fiber, and started adding all bran cereal to EVERYTHING she ate. The kid ate so much bran she had no choice but to poop.

We also stopped talking about it all together. No pressure, good or bad. Poop was poop, and it should be done in the toilet...but we didn't encourage her to go really...just did the normal stuff.

Eventually, it stopped being a "thing".

I don't know if that will help you or not...but it worked for us. Good luck...I k now how miserable it is.

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
beckers1111
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
Oh...I KNOW how frustrating that is. My DD did that too.

Here's what her doc came up with: If she holds it, then she gets constipated, and it hurts to go. Then she holds it more, and then it hurts more...you get the picture.

We cut out all cheese from her diet , boosted the fruits and fiber, and started adding all bran cereal to EVERYTHING she ate. The kid ate so much bran she had no choice but to poop.

We also stopped talking about it all together. No pressure, good or bad. Poop was poop, and it should be done in the toilet...but we didn't encourage her to go really...just did the normal stuff.

Eventually, it stopped being a "thing".

I don't know if that will help you or not...but it worked for us. Good luck...I k now how miserable it is.

thanks mama! that sounds like something we will have to try
Old 12-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

My ds did this as well to the point where he didn't want to go poo because it would hurt. He ended up impacted and had to have it removed then they put him on Miralax. That sure made him go without delay Once the Miralax got him regular I weaned him off and he started it again So I bought travel containers (packaged like fruit snacks) of prunes, fed him a high fiber/low dairy diet and that worked. In the end we figure that he just didn't want to go (to busy to stop). Oh I also bought some stuff that you add to any food when cooking/eating for added fiber, also cooked using whole grains and kept TONS of fruit on hand. Good Luck mama!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Tasha
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds did this for awhile too! I totally understand your frustration!! What we ended up doing was letting him go naked while we were home, because then he didn't even have the option of going in his underwear, and he wasn't going to go on the floor. I think he also just wasn't feeling the "urge" to go the potty until it was a little too late.

Also, we bought him some of the kandoo wipes for big kids, and that helped too as he really didn't like how the toliet paper felt. Mama, I know how annoying and frustrating this is.
Tasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

My son (he will be 4 in March) does this at times as well. In October, it had been a YEAR since he was PT'd, but would hold his poop. For a long time, we'd give him a pull up and let him go, but then it just got old to keep changing his diaper when he was already PT'd.

He's FINALLY, just in the past 6 weeks, over this phase and now poops in the potty. He sometimes will hold it for a day or two, but then he will go on the potty. And he's the kind of kid that could care less about rewards or bribes, so we really did just have to wait until he was ready. One day, he said he needed to go poop so we sat him on the toilet (like we always did) He went and we made a HUGE deal out of it. He went every day for a week and we took him to the toy store to pick out a car. And I think that was motivation enough to keep it up.

I know how frustrating this can be, but the best advice I can give you is that she will poop on the potty when she is ready. I'd say let her have a Pull Up for pooping and then in a few months try with the potty again. A lot of kids have this issue-it's their last bit of control that they have. And trust me, a Pull Up is better than changing undies 6 times a day. Don't let her hold it for that many days anymore-it isn't good for her and I know how frustrating it is to you. Let her have a Pull Up and everyone will feel better
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
danibu98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK, I don't want to get flamed for this, but we took away Bear, Maddy's teddy bear, until she pooped in the potty. she does not go to sleep without this bear. but We always leave him at home because I am worried that she will lose him.

anyhoo, after 48 hours, no more poo accidents/holdin/hiding, etc.

I know it is mean, but trust me we tried EVERYTHING

now if I could only get her to stay dry at night!
Danielle
my ds feedback: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...?topic=11352.0
danibu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #10
beckers1111
Registered Users
seller

thanks mamas, we are going to try the fiber thing