Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-22-2006, 12:47 AM   #1
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:
bed time routine?

whats your bedtime routine with your baby?? I'm trying despritely to find some sort of routine that works for us!! She does not like co-sleeping, she's bottle fed and 7 months old. So please share what you do to give me some ideas on how to get her to sleep at a reasonable hour!!

Advertisement

Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: bed time routine?

I'm with you on this. We NEED a routine to get my almost 6 month old into a groove and out of our bed (LOL.. not much chance of a sibling someday!). I hope someone has some input
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:59 AM   #3
little*sprouts*garden
Banned
seller

No help here......I have a six month old that falls asleep and the second I put him down he wakes up and won't fall back asleep. I think is wayyy too young to "cry it out". Hence, the reason we co-sleep (plus I nurse so I suppose I do it because it is easy to keep him next to me for his middle of the night "snack"

I DO want to say that it DOES get wayyyyy better!! With my other two cuties they were the same as my youngest is right now(cried the second I put them down for bed...even if they were already sleeping).....I think around nine months it got to the point that I was able to just lay them in their cribs when they were wide awake and they would fall asleep by themselves. P-H-E-W!!

I think I'll keep my eye on this thread to see if I can get some "secrets"
little*sprouts*garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Our routine isn't that great - definitely needs work...but...

Bath at 7 and then we start bedtime at 7:30. I say we START bedtime, because it takes quite awhile to get everything settled with goodnight kisses and hugs, drinks, snacks, the right blanket, lol. Kain (almost 3) lays down in his room most of the time and goes to sleep on his own...Drake (16 months today!) lays down with me and we have to lay in the dark..sometimes he fights, sometimes he doesn't. He's always been difficult so we've developed this routine and it works for us. We lay down, his back to my belly. My arm goes over his shoulder and across his belly...my other hand goes over the side and kind of tucks under his belly. If I don't hold him snugly, he'll just try to toss and turn and play around. Sometimes he cries, and I just have to hold him...he'll eventually relax and fall asleep. Most of time, he doesn't cry...he'll just lay with me and he falls asleep pretty quickly. Then I give him some time to get into a deeper sleep and then I move him into his bed (unless that's where we laid down).
Old 12-22-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by little*sprouts*garden View Post
No help here......I have a six month old that falls asleep and the second I put him down he wakes up and won't fall back asleep. I think is wayyy too young to "cry it out". Hence, the reason we co-sleep (plus I nurse so I suppose I do it because it is easy to keep him next to me for his middle of the night "snack"

I DO want to say that it DOES get wayyyyy better!! With my other two cuties they were the same as my youngest is right now(cried the second I put them down for bed...even if they were already sleeping).....I think around nine months it got to the point that I was able to just lay them in their cribs when they were wide awake and they would fall asleep by themselves. P-H-E-W!!

I know this is totally thread hijacking--but thanks for this!! I nurse DS also... so here's waiting it out!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:53 PM   #6
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

here is our routine now, at 14 months, times are approximate:

5:30~dinner
6:00~bath
6:15~naked time in bedroom
diaper
PJs
sleep sacks
book
nurse
lights out
hold and sing going-to-sleep song
put down in crib
usually in bed by 6:30 or 6:45

when they were 7 months old it was basically the same, though they were not eating a dinner at that time and they were getting a bottle instead of nursing right before bed. they would usually fall asleep with that or we would hold them until they fell asleep and then put them down. BUT i know what you are talking about when you say she wakes up as soon as you make a move to put her down, jonas does that sometimes (tonight in fact) and it is so frustrating. he usually only cries for a few mins, sometimes longer. the no cry sleep solution says to just keep trying and eventually she will let you put her down. i personally don't have the patience for that, but im sure it would work. i know some others here have used that technique with great success within a week, so that may be something you might want to look into. i know how frustrating sleep issues can be, it is really one of the hardest things about parenting so far! at least here. good luck!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
evin
Registered Users

Here's what's been working for us. DD is 8 mos old and takes two naps, the second one ending at about 2 or 2:15

4:45 - nurse
5:00 - oatmeal or some other food
5:15 - quiet play in living room or bedroom
5:30 - changed for bed
5:45 - 3 books
6:00 - nursing and two songs

all of this is in low lighting (we have started calling it our evening light) and with calm music if any at all.

usually, she's out like a light between 6:15 and 6:30. She does get up once or twice in the night to nurse, but she no longer fights being put down. I have partially followed No Cry Sleep Solution and partially used tips from Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child.

Over the course of time, the routine has gone through changes and this one may only work for a few months, but for now it's really working nicely. If your LO is taking 3 naps still, then my times are definitely too early for you! Something that was a surprise to me was that bathtime was a big no-no for us. DD likes it so much that it actually made her less amenable to being put to bed! My kid's so weird

Good luck coming up with a routine that works for you!
evin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:02 AM   #8
LoveSunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's my routine, I have two sons, one is 20 mos, the other almost 4 mos. Both are able to fall asleep on their own:

Around 7:30-8, we start baths, ODS gets one first, then YDS. We lotion, diaper, put on jammies, and brush teeth with our ODS. For YDS, we lotion, diaper, and put on PJs. After that, it's about 8-8:30, we snuggle them in our arms, say prayers, lay them down and that's pretty much it. I think we're blessed with really easy-going babies, though. I HTH! And for the rough nights, we cuddle, cuddle, cuddle, I do NOT believe in CIO.

LoveSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
WestCoastBuckeye
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This gives me hope. My nearly 7 month old is this way as well. If I could hold him he would sleep al night and most of the day I think! I'm spoiled by my oldest son-he slept through the night 2 months-and was a self soothing pro!

Heather

Quote:
Originally Posted by little*sprouts*garden View Post
No help

Heather , to Ryan (9-2-000) my hero is home-praying for recovery, and mom to Garrett (11-29-02) & Alex (5-29-06)
WestCoastBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote