Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:20 AM   #1
reachtothestars
Registered Users
seller

Smile New around here

Hi,

My name is Krista. My first and only son's name is Nicholas. We call him Nick. He is 15 months old weighs 18lbs, and has been diagnosed with sensory processing disorder.

We have up days and down days. His big things are his hands can't be slimy or sticky. And he won't eat mushy food. It took us to 8 months of pushing both jarred and purred at home baby food to figure it out. He is a very good eater but everything has to be a certain size and he can't eat a mix the right way. First the cereal then the pretzels, and so on.

Some days it is amusing others a nuisance. He does not walk or talk or have any language skills for that matter. He has no idea what his name is. We hope to soon be able to afford private therapy for him as early intervention says he is too young even with the developmental pediatricians diagnosis.

His latest things are the bathroom door and his ducks. The ducks must be lined up on the tables and shelves, and the bathroom door must be open.

I'm sure you will hear from me in the future as I will have a lot of questions and more than likely need lots of support. As a very young mom with annoying know it all in-laws things can be hard.

Advertisement

reachtothestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
mismaggie
Banned

My Mood:
Re: New around here

I wish there was something I could say or do to help mama. ALl I can offer you are big,big hugs and hopes that everything will be okay for him. I wish him all the best:bighugs:
mismaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our Early Intervention started with dd2 at 17 months. How long do they want to wait?? She still doesn't talk much but she signs instead and it's much better.
Have you had his hearing tested? Dd2 wasn't understanding anything expect tone of voice and she failed her hearing test, and ended up with hidden (they flushed all the wax out of her ears just in case and discovered....) double ear infections with no symptoms (so who knows how many she has had). When those were cleared up and we started therapy she got MUCH better at understanding us.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
reachtothestars
Registered Users
seller

Smile Re: New around here

They did a hearing test and he can hear fine. Physically his is good for the most part, but mentally he is delayed a lot and in communication.

They want me to wait for 24 months before another evaluation.

Now we are in search of our own occupational therapist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondance View Post

Our Early Intervention started with dd2 at 17 months. How long do they want to wait?? She still doesn't talk much but she signs instead and it's much better.
Have you had his hearing tested? Dd2 wasn't understanding anything expect tone of voice and she failed her hearing test, and ended up with hidden (they flushed all the wax out of her ears just in case and discovered....) double ear infections with no symptoms (so who knows how many she has had). When those were cleared up and we started therapy she got MUCH better at understanding us.
reachtothestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachtothestars View Post
They did a hearing test and he can hear fine. Physically his is good for the most part, but mentally he is delayed a lot and in communication.

They want me to wait for 24 months before another evaluation.

Now we are in search of our own occupational therapist.

They want you to wait for another 2yrs for another evaluation? Are they out of their F****** minds. It sucks that the early intervention people want you to wait when clearly he needs some kind of services NOW. Sorry I really don't have any advice for you but to keep trying to get your son some type of Therapy to help in Communication etc.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonewinwy View Post
They want you to wait for another 2yrs for another evaluation? Are they out of their F****** minds. It sucks that the early intervention people want you to wait when clearly he needs some kind of services NOW. Sorry I really don't have any advice for you but to keep trying to get your son some type of Therapy to help in Communication etc.
And that's Early Intervention?? Here Early Intervention STOPS at age 3. So then he'd only have 6 months of therapy before they kicked him out????
Ack, gotta go, dd is having issues....
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondance View Post
And that's Early Intervention?? Here Early Intervention STOPS at age 3. So then he'd only have 6 months of therapy before they kicked him out????
Ack, gotta go, dd is having issues....
Here Early Intervention well it's called "First Steps" does services at the home til the child turns 3. Then if the child still needs services then they go to the "Public Preschool" thats "Free" and can continue with Therapys that away. I'm not sure if all States offer that.

But it does suck that the Original Poster has to wait or look for other ways of getting help.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote