View Poll Results: opinion on bread machines
I LOVE my bread machine couldn't live without it! 6 24.00%
Waste of money. Doesn't make the job any easier, I still make my bread by hand. 6 24.00%
Ehhh...either way. I use it sometimes but could live with out it and not miss it much. 9 36.00%
Other... 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bread makers?

I have been making my own raisin bread lately. It is really yummy and we are gobbling it all up. I also want to make some regular sandwich bread and some other sweet breads. I dont mind doing it by hand but it is time consuming and makes a big mess. So I am wondering if a bread machine is worth getting. If I want to make most of our bread should I keep an eye out for a deal on one? I dont normally use any non-stick cookware but I think all bread machines have a non-stick coating on the inside. I think this is one of the main factors that has kept me from looking more into them. Anyone else not use non-stick but have a bread machine? what made you get one even though they are non-stick?

I think I need a poll

Advertisement

Last edited by CarrieAnn0413; 06-21-2009 at 01:19 PM.
CarrieAnn0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Bread makers?

I used to have one, and I never really used it, I gave it away. I didn't have many recipes that worked with the machine and wasn't interested in buying bread machine mixes. I'm sure there's many more available nowadays and tons more recipes, but that's what I ran into.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
lsmith073104
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i wanted one so bad, got one, tried it about a dozen times, bread fell EVERYTIME, no matter what i did. Gave it to my mom, who seems to love it.. go figure.
SAHM to DD (12/99) , DS #1 (1/07) , DS #2 (10/08) , and DS #3 (01/14) !
, modified cosleeping, vaxing, circing, and trying to be super crunchy!
lsmith073104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
momma w
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had one and used it for a few recipes, but found that the bread never turned out as good as homemade. The texture was off, the size was awkward, hard to slice for sandwiches. I didn't find that it saved much time - really just the time to knead, and maybe a little of the clean up time.
momma w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
wild fire child
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a kitchenaid professional grade stand mixer, which has a dough hook, and I have a bread machine, and I still do it all by hand. I prefer more control in the process, and I have always found kneading to be very relaxing. I usually let my bread rise extra times so I get to knead more.
My grandma, however, did use her bread machine. She'd made bread with dinner once or twice a month, and I'm pretty sure she couldn't have done so without her machine (she's a terrible cook).

Mine is actually MILs, and I won't eat the bread she makes in it, as the nonstick coating is peeling off in sheets. I don't think they come in any other variety though.
wild fire child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I'm somewhat in the minority - I don't make bread by hand - I find its too hard on my ailing wrists. The breadmaker is fabulous for me. Pop the ingredients in and turn it on. I'm sure if you're good at making it by hand or have a larger family and want to make multiple loves at once, the old fashioned way is better suited, but htere's only the three of us, and it works well for us.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the replies. Seems pretty even...some like 'em some don't. I think if I decide to bake many loaves in a day (been baking 3 loaves of the raisin bread at a time) and freezes most of them I should stick with by hand. I hate buying kitchen appliances and watching them collect dust so I am glad I put up this poll. Thanks for the help I think I will pick a day each month and bake until the kitchen is coated in flour and I have gotten out all my aggression by kneading all the dough, lol