Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
belchers1
Registered Users
seller

The Unassisted Water Birth of Lila Rose - Pictures Containing Partial Nudity Included

The Unassisted Water Birth of Lila Rose - (Pictures containing partial nudity included)

My “due date” of January 7th came and went. Having had my last baby at 38 weeks and 2 days, I really thought this one would have been born earlier. I guess babies come when they are ready!

We ended up moving to a new home on Saturday, January 17th. Boy was that fun! I suppose you could say my labor began the morning of Monday January 19, 2009. I had on and off contractions throughout the day that were somewhat painful. I was still unsure if this was “it” because they weren’t regular at all. I went to bed that night only to woken up throughout the night with mildly painful contractions. I continued to have irregular mild contractions throughout that Tuesday. I went on with my daily routine of taking the kids to school. As soon as I tried to go to bed around 9:30, they began getting a little more painful and regular. I knew it was time. I labored in the bath tub while Jason filled the birthing pool in the dining room. I remember him putting on the CD I borrowed from my mother. It excited me to know that he was preparing. After a while, I felt like I needed to get out of the bath tub. I found myself sitting on the toilet then walking into my room, then back to the toilet. I repeated this a few times. At one point, I thought I should try to sleep, so I lay down in my bed - that was a mistake! Talk about pain! I have no idea how I ever labored laying down with my two other babies! There would be no sleeping for me.

Around 12:00 midnight, maybe a little before, the pool was finally full! I got out of the bath tub (I had gotten back in) and went downstairs, rocked in the rocking chair for awhile. I then got into the pool.

Things went pretty fast from there. I started feeling the urge to push; actually, my body was pushing on its own. Jason kept telling me not to push because he knew that the slower the baby emerged, the less likely I would tear. I couldn't control it though. The head emerged. I remember looking up at the ceiling, the room seemed so large. I was screaming. Jason was telling me to stop and relax because he was afraid someone would call the police. After the head was out, I told him jokingly, that the police could come in, I could care less! With the next contraction, her body slid out of me.

Lila Rose Belcher was born into Daddy's hands on Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 at 1:30 AM. After he handed her back to me, we bonded and nursed. Jason woke the kids up and they came downstairs. Ava was so excited. JJ on the other hand, fell back asleep on the living room floor. Lila weighed in at 8 pounds 8 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long. I did not tear at all, not even a tiny knick! I thank the perineal stretching we did before hand and the water during the birth.

After a half hour or so, we cut the cord and Daddy took Lila to get dressed. I got out of the tub, got a bowl (for the placenta) and headed upstairs. I didn't realize the placenta was going to not come out immediately! (Funny, I had a dream about this happening) I couldn't rest until it was out. I tried nursing more, but it still wasn't near. After an hour and a half, I took the "Placenta Out" that I had ordered from IHH. Within another hour and getting back into a hot bath tub, I was able to push the placenta out. It was larger than I had expected. I then was comfortable and relieved.

We nestled in bed together. My mother tucked us in. I fell asleep with a new person suckling at my breast.

If I could change anything about my labor, there would have been a few things:

1. I would have made sure to have gotten more rest. I was falling asleep between contractions. Everytime one started up again, I cried, not out of pain, but because I didn't want to wake up! Near the very tail end I cried and told Jason I wanted to go to the hospital and I wanted general anesthesia because I just wanted to be asleep. Had I been not tired, I would have been better able to embrace each contraction.

2. I would have told Jason YES, do get the video camera. When he asked me, I was being grumpy and said no that I wasn't worried about that right now.

3. After the birth, I would've tried harder to be warm and comfortable. I think the placenta took a little longer because I got cold.

4. I would've done something with the placenta sooner! I feel as though I wasted it! I wanted to make a smoothie or something with it, but it just never happened. It sat in the fridge until 2 weeks, and then I realized I either had to throw it out or freeze it. It now sits in my freezer. I guess I'll plant it under a tree in the backyard.

Overall, it was an amazingly wonderful birth. I am ever so grateful to God and my husband, for without them I may not have been able to have such an empowering experience.

Lila at two weeks:

Advertisement

Last edited by VinhThiMom; 07-27-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: to fix images
belchers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
Sherrie87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The Unassisted Water Birth of Lila Rose

i'm soooo jelous!!!!! i wanted a water birth with both my boys...didn't get one...i plan to with the next one...i will try again for another in about 5 years...Thank you SOOOO much for sharing!!!! how did you go about getting ready for un-*** water birth..couldyou PM me about it...i'm very interrested!!!
Wife to Joey, 1-12-07 Mother to six , Britney 10/13/00, Jared 05/27/03, Hunter 05/10/04, Kimbery 10/26/06,Kole 09/05/08, Alaina 03/20/12 I CD of corse..:P, co-sleep, BFing,non-circumcising, baby wearing, pretty crunchy..:P Fan Page Come "like" Me.. My IHA/ISO I LOVE to trade.. Blog post of some stuff I can make you!..:P
Sherrie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for sharing this, I too am going to have a UC water birth. Did you do your own prenatal care too?
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
belchers1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
thanks for sharing this, I too am going to have a UC water birth. Did you do your own prenatal care too?
Yes, I used a chart with all of the same info that would've been recorded at a doctor's office. I did this for two reasons; one, because I like making sure that everything was normal, and two because I was slightly nervous about Child Protective Services trying to start a case against me - this way I could say I did have prenatal care!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
belchers1
Registered Users
seller

I fixed the pictures!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Zabibaby
Registered Users
Formerly: rose_hesh
seller

My Mood:

bowing down to you!!!
and what a nice healthy baby you got!!!
congratulations and God bless you and your little one.
Visit Zabi Babyfor all your diapering needs. Nikky Covers, Weehuggers, GroVia, Little Comfort, Bum Genius and more. Our own sized Indian prefolds. Lay Away and Free shipping on most items. Licensed to embroider Ooga Booga. Coupon code DSM5 - 10% off Try our new bamboo flats!
Zabi Baby on Facebook
Zabibaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
MacMama
Registered Users
Formerly: PaisleyandLaylasmommy
seller

My Mood:

That is awsome mama! BTW, what pool is that and where can I get one? It looks perfect!
Heather; wife to my love Jacob, lucky mama of Layla (9), Paisley (7), Thatcher (almost 5) and my nursling, Koa (9/4/12). Creator of Hand-stamped jewelry, custom teething necklaces and accessories by Avery Rayne Designs
MacMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
belchers1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMama View Post
That is awsome mama! BTW, what pool is that and where can I get one? It looks perfect!
Here's the link: http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/other-...pool-p-39.html

Old 07-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for sharing your story!!! Congratulations.
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
Divalicious Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

TFS,congrats!