Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2006, 12:20 AM   #1
www.ClothDecisions.com's Avatar
www.ClothDecisions.com
Banned
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,331
My Mood:
Unhappy UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

No kidding! DD got it from another child I was babysitting and it was the worst case her doc had seen he said. I got it and was treated with diflucan and it looked like it was going away. NOPE! I have used Gentian Violet, antibiotics, all purpose nipple creams, lotrimin medicated cream 3 times daily and it still persists. It hurts so badly to nurse DD that I have had to begin to wean. She is 17 months but neither of us were ready yet! What the hell do I do? My doc says wean completely but that is out of the question, I won't do it. DD is my ONLY BABY!! Does anyone know what else I could try?

Advertisement

www.ClothDecisions.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:48 AM   #2
jjaelovesenglish's Avatar
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,093
My Mood:
Re: UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilysmomma View Post
No kidding! DD got it from another child I was babysitting and it was the worst case her doc had seen he said. I got it and was treated with diflucan and it looked like it was going away. NOPE! I have used Gentian Violet, antibiotics, all purpose nipple creams, lotrimin medicated cream 3 times daily and it still persists. It hurts so badly to nurse DD that I have had to begin to wean. She is 17 months but neither of us were ready yet! What the hell do I do? My doc says wean completely but that is out of the question, I won't do it. DD is my ONLY BABY!! Does anyone know what else I could try?
Antibiotics I thought made thrush worse. You could have her eat lots of yoguert because it has lots of stuff in it that keeps the yeast at bay. Activa I think has more stuff in it than other brands out there.
__________________
visit my website: Madison's Colorful Dreams Now closed check out what's left
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
MamaMel's Avatar
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,783
My Mood:
Re: UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

Take probiotics daily your DD and you. You can buy the powder form and put it in her food so she wont know.

Then do Grapefruit seed extract treatment
put 10 drops GSE in 1 oz water. Apply to nipples before feeding and to babies mouth after feeding. If it doesn't get better in a day up it to 15-20 drop per 1 oz water
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
www.ClothDecisions.com's Avatar
www.ClothDecisions.com
Banned
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,331
My Mood:
Re: UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaelovesenglish View Post
Antibiotics I thought made thrush worse. You could have her eat lots of yoguert because it has lots of stuff in it that keeps the yeast at bay. Activa I think has more stuff in it than other brands out there.

Whoops! I meant Anti-Fungal, not Antibiotics...diflucan is an anti-fungal. Neither of us have been prescribed antibiotics.
www.ClothDecisions.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:05 AM   #5
www.ClothDecisions.com's Avatar
www.ClothDecisions.com
Banned
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,331
My Mood:
Re: UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMel View Post
Take probiotics daily your DD and you. You can buy the powder form and put it in her food so she wont know.

Then do Grapefruit seed extract treatment
put 10 drops GSE in 1 oz water. Apply to nipples before feeding and to babies mouth after feeding. If it doesn't get better in a day up it to 15-20 drop per 1 oz water
Oh, man! If today wasn't Christmas I would be at the nearest natural food store. GSE has never been suggested and I didn't even know what it was until you just mentioned it and then I Googled it for more info, Thanks!!
www.ClothDecisions.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
MamaMel's Avatar
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,783
My Mood:
Re: UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilysmomma View Post
Oh, man! If today wasn't Christmas I would be at the nearest natural food store. GSE has never been suggested and I didn't even know what it was until you just mentioned it and then I Googled it for more info, Thanks!!
my DD and I had thrush for a long while and it was the only thing that worked. I swear by it

Also eliminate suger from both your diets
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Prettylocks's Avatar
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 11,324
Re: UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

I second eliminating the sugar!
__________________
Cristina- Mama to a bunch of super kids!
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
kht2006
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,264
My Mood:
Re: UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

i'm right there with you. we've been fighting this for five months too. imo weaning won't help and might make it worse....
i slacked off around christmas....got too tired to fight it....
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #9
benjason's Avatar
benjason
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 2,213
Re: UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

I battled thrush for 3 months with my older DS until I finally tried grapefruit seed extract, acidophilus (can be found at HFS) and elminating sugar from my diet. I tried everything else too -- diflucan (weeks and weeks of it), genetian violet, lotrimin, etc and this was the only only thing that worked. I hope you find some relief soon.
__________________
Wendy~ Homebirthing, Homeschooling, SAHM, Cloth diapering to: Jason (2/03) and Benjamin (1/06)
benjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #10
trashley's Avatar
trashley
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maricopa, AZ
Posts: 1,389
My Mood:
Re: UGH! Thrush, for 5 months?

What dosage did you get for the diflucan?
__________________
Ashley & Jim
Ainsley 7, Caelan 4, Quinn ETA December 2010
trashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.