Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
sweetangelfriend
Registered Users

My Mood:
Surgery for tubes

My 1 yo dd just had surgery for tubes. SHe had a major hearing loss that was caused by fluid in her ears. I'm still concerned about a possible hearing loss, but I know it'll take some time for her to recover from the surgery. She had surgery on 6/12 and the doctor also removed her adenoids. From other mothers' experience, how long does it take before you start seeing improvement in the child's hearing (from the child's reactions)?

Advertisement

cd'ing, bf'ing, hsing, SAHM of Chip (8/9/04), Josh (12/16/05), and Nevaeh our miracle 7 weeks early (5/25/08)
sweetangelfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #2
sweetangelfriend
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Surgery for tubes

I had to call the doc back this morning because she started running a fever of over 102. She has to go to the doc this afternoon to make sure there isn't infection or something else going on. She's been quite fussy so I'm pretty worried about her.

cd'ing, bf'ing, hsing, SAHM of Chip (8/9/04), Josh (12/16/05), and Nevaeh our miracle 7 weeks early (5/25/08)
Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It was a little while before we noticed a difference, we also noticed a difference in his speech, a positive difference. He was 22 months though when he had it done. If she 'just' had the surgery a few days ago she's probably still in that fragile state...that for us was a few weeks before he was himself again (we also had adenoids removed and tonsils). When she recovers, you can always get them to do a hearing test to put your mind at ease. Hope she feels better soon though. When they did Ds's tubes they said they cleaned out a lot of infected gunk :-(
Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Bright_Life_Toys
Registered Users
Formerly: Jwugrad
seller
seller

My Mood:

We had tubes put in DS' ears when he was 15 months old. He was low-tone deaf, and only said "mama" and "da". He couldn't say the second half of any words, because he couldn't hear it. He had an ear infection a month since he was born - so 15 ear infections, 4 of them double.

We noticed results the same day as the surgery. He said "ba" and "ga" for the first time that day. He didn't get actual words for a few more months, but he did start making new sounds that he had never made before.

He is now 3 and you'd never know that he was a late talker.

to you and your LO, Mama.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Dolphin_Medic
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD had tubes on the 21st of May and we saw an improvement in her babbling (she's 18 months) by the following week. She still doesn't talk much, but we're now getting "mo" "mama" and "dada" out of her along with tons of babbling.

I hope your LO feels better.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #6
sweetangelfriend
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much, mamas! I took her to the doc and she has pneumonia for the second time in a month!! She had just gotten over it right before her birthday and has it again. She's been sick off and on since Easter.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
crochetingmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I hope that she gets well soon.