Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
fireballgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does anyone have a Mercury Villager or Nissan Quest?

DH and I are thinking about buying a 2002 Mercury Villager. I'm just wondering how space works out for families with 3 or 4 kids. I'd like to be able to take 3 kids and 4 adults, if possible, or even just 2 carseats in the back with enough room for one adult (MIL or FIL) to squeeze in when necessary. I heard that they are they same as the Nissan Quest, so if you have one of those, I'd be interested in your feedback aslo. I went to look at a 2000 Dodge Caravan today and couldn't believe that they call it a 7 passenger van. Maybe I just need to downsize my carseats. But poor FIL who has to sit in the back seat with the kids couldn't even fit his legs in, even without the car seats!

I'd love a Toyota Sienna, but we live near Detroit and want to buy domestic when possible.

Advertisement

fireballgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
4BoysMom
Registered Users

Re: Does anyone have a Mercury Villager or Nissan Quest?

We have a 2000 quest and can fit 4 car seats but not 5 in it. There is not enough room for an adult to SAFELY sit between car seats in the very back as there is just a lap belt, plus it is a very tight squeeze. Same for sitting on the outside with 2 seats next to each other, there just doesn't seem to be enough room. And to date I have not found a 3 across that will work with this van. So my experience is with kids the Quest is a 6 passenger vehicle.

Haven't joined the swagbucks craze yet? I've earned $85 in amazon gcs, so can you!
Easy Lunch Boxes - The Best LunchBoxes Easylunchboxes.com
4BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
cottoncandysky
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have a 2007 nissan quest and lisa is right, same answers for me

SAHM to Sean & Halle (4/29/08) born at 30wks and Kamryn (12/9/09)
He's finally HOME!
cottoncandysky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
randareena
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom has an older villager (and you are right, they are quests with a different name on it) and we have comfortably fit a lot of our family in there. 1 teenage boy, 1 9 yo, 1 6 yo in a booster in the way back seat (these 3 in the back), and my 3 yo in his car seat and my infant nephew in his seat in the middle, and of course 2 adults. The only thing that is annoying is that the middle row only fits 2. My mother in law has the sienna and she has the 8 seater so both back seats fit 3 each. It is a nice vehicle, but the way back bench seat (this one folds up and goes down flat in the floor) isn't as comfortable as the middle seat. The other bad thing is that you can't do three car seats across in the middle row because you have to leave one seat to be able to be folded up to climb in the back. I understand the want to buy domestic. I always thought we would, but we looked at cars for a year or so and ended up getting a Camry. I love it though!
randareena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
4BoysMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by randareena View Post
1 teenage boy, 1 9 yo, 1 6 yo in a booster in the way back seat (these 3 in the back),
Now the car seat/seat belt people know the risks and "ideally* no one (but a harnessed child car seat) should ride in a lap only belt (due to internal organ damage with no holding back of the upper body in an accident, which is why newer vehicles usually have lap/shoulder option now in the center seats), but now that I am thinking about it... If the OP only had one smallish car seat in back and two small adults around it it might work or thin booster, thin car seat thin booster... I have 4 under 8 with an infant on the way so 3 of my 4 are still in car seats (well are 4 are but my oldest should be ready to ride in a booster come Dec, he has some sensory issues) and 3 or 4 out of the 5 will absolutely still need be in harnessed seats when the baby is born.

Haven't joined the swagbucks craze yet? I've earned $85 in amazon gcs, so can you!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
dublinmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ive got a 2006 Quest and 3 in car seats...we've configured them all kinds of different ways and finally found one that works for us and lets us use all the seats.

We have YDD rear facing in a captain chair, YDS in the other captain chair in his Britax Frontier, ODD in the middle back position in her Britax Frontier (this is also the only spot in the back that has LATCH and I have found the Frontier does not buckle in well with the seatbelt) ODS and DSD are on either side of ODD. There is actually enough room in the back for me to sit next to ODD if I needed to.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Heatherdoodle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dh and I have a 2002 Nissan Quest and a family of 6 with another on the way and we have plenty of room except if we plan to go on a trip like vacation ro something there is not enough storage in the back for bags and such. There are bucket seats in the middle row and a long seat in the back that sits 3 comfrtably. Hope that helps.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
fireballgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Although, I must say that the American car companies are starting to come out with some nice cars ... if I could have anything, it would be a Ford Fusion and their hybrid actually has the highest ratings of its class. My sister has a Sienna (and LOVES it) and my SIL has a Camry (and LOVES it!) I really am hoping that the American automakers can come back though. Well I sort of hijacked my own thread ...

I hadn't thought of using the latch in the back for the middle and the belts for the two sides. If it gets to that point (where I actually need to put 7 people in the car, I will get Radian Sunshines, I think, or at least try to fit them in.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
4BoysMom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballgirl View Post
Although, I must say that the American car companies are starting to come out with some nice cars ... if I could have anything, it would be a Ford Fusion and their hybrid actually has the highest ratings of its class. My sister has a Sienna (and LOVES it) and my SIL has a Camry (and LOVES it!) I really am hoping that the American automakers can come back though. Well I sort of hijacked my own thread ...

I hadn't thought of using the latch in the back for the middle and the belts for the two sides. If it gets to that point (where I actually need to put 7 people in the car, I will get Radian Sunshines, I think, or at least try to fit them in.
do you have radians or access to them? I have heard they might be a difficult or possible impossible install with the quests belt stalks so if you have access to one it would probably be a good idea to test it in each position. It won't tell you if three will work across but will tell you if you can even get the seat in any given position and then you can figure out if times three will work. That is the route I was going to take but have been told in not so many words that it likely won't work. And it is going to be hard to get 3 radians to test out at once... plus it will only be a year or two before the radian will need to be replaced with a booster...

Old 06-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
fireballgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks, mama!