Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talk to me about donating!

So I got a Ameda pump from Medicaid (medicare? I can never remember) I feel like I need to "pay for it" and I really want to pump and donate to another mother who needs milk.

How should I go about doing this? I've been pumping between every other feeding (I tried every feeding but my nipples and DS were angry with me!) I've been eating oatmeal and drinking water like its going out of style!

Do you ladies have any tricks? Ways to cycle the pump? Special messages?

Also if any of you have donated before, can you tell me what to expect?

Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Talk to me about donating!

have you joined milkshare?
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
ChicanaCoqueta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd just pick one or 2 extra pumping sessions. If you do too many you'll get so tired of it and you'll have this extra milk and God forbid you miss a session and you get so engorged and possibly have oversupply issues... LOL BTDT

so yeah, pick one or 2 times to do your pumping/day. I use milkshare to find recipients. I ask for them to reimburse me for the bags I buy. They ask me for proof that I'm not disease-ridden and I tell them what/if I'm taking in terms of supplements and/or meds... fair enough
You decide how much and how often you're willing to give, families are usually grateful for the donation no matter how big or small.

drink lots of water and eat well

Last edited by ChicanaCoqueta; 06-09-2009 at 03:07 PM.
ChicanaCoqueta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have just requestrd to join Milkshare.

How do you go about proving that you aren't disease ridden? I am going to the MW tomorrow for the last time, should I ask her for the blood panel that they drew when I first got PG? Is there something more formal? Do you ask to be reimbursed for shipping? How do you ship? Ice packs? I've heard tales that some moms will ship you a cooler that you pack with ice/ice packs and UPS it back? Seems like that would be a LOT of milk! I don't know if I can make that much!
Old 06-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Personally, I prefer to donate locally. You get a chance to know the other mama, and they get to know you. I haven't been asked to provide any medical screening results or anything...the mama's are just very grateful for the milk.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I joined milkshare and donate to a mama who lives a couple hours away with an adopted newborn. Also, when you freeze your bags-freeze them laying FLAT. It saves a ton of room in your freezer and for whoever you donate it to.
I just added in a pumping session in the morning and if he sleeps a long nap, I'll do one then too.
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
nktigger99
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I have to say Thank you....My son recieved Doner milk for 6 months and I am so grateful for that.

I plan on donating myself if I am able to BF my little girl due in a few weeks...but I am not sure since my son will start getting any extra milk I can pump.
nktigger99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #8
jazter
Registered Users
seller

I got a letter from my midwife stating that all the tests from my pregnancy were negative although I've not had to show them to anyone. I've offered to show the letter to anyone who was concerned and also offered to go to their medical people to get blood work done on their dime if they wanted it more recently or on things that my midwife didn't test for.

Also, never pay for shipping or shipping supplies. Recipients should always pay/reimburse for supplies and sundries. Most recipients who get shipped milk have a fedex or ups account that you can use to ship with, and some ship coolers to you to ship back. I found more local recipients than I have milk, so I do not need to ship milk. Milkshare has a great FAQ on how to ship. I am currently pumping maybe 20-25oz a day in excess, but that's just me. Don't be ashamed if you're only able to pump 2, 4, 6, whatever ounces - any milk in addition to your child's needs is precious, any at all. If you aren't a cow like me, than you will need to freeze milk for a long time to get enough to make shipping worthwhile if you don't have a local recipient - absolutely nothing wrong with that. Many people like to collect 200-500 oz at a time and ship that to make the cost of shipping a little more bearable.

I pump 3-4 times a day, first thing in the morning and last thing at night and any time I feel a little full. I've been pumping since day 2. I know a lot of women pump one side whilst nursing on the other and then alternate at the next feeding but I don't have that kind of coordination.

I <3 milkshare, I love being able to help grow someone else's baby.
jazter is offline   Reply With Quote