Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
lovemyzoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Feeling kind of depressed here...

If you want to hang out with out kids some day let me know when your DH is off and can keep her. Or we can met and go to a park and let her play with my kids and you wouldn't notice her. My girls love metting new people.

We will be here for Thanksgiving and will have some of DH co-workers over. I have turkey, ham and other stuff. I have a small oven and convection oven that I use. I cook stuffed shells(meat free) and a bunch of side dishes.
We went 10 months with 6 kids with no oven it make dinner an adventure at the lest.

Advertisement

Last edited by lovemyzoo; 06-18-2009 at 12:54 AM.
lovemyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:11 AM   #12
vickul
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried posting on the Seoul Craigslist or Freecycle boards asking for a bike? No idea how much luck you'd have, but I know there are military families who move on and leave such things behind. Also, some of the bike shops sell used kids' bikes. ...

We're in the market for a small trike for DD's first birthday, but haven't found any in stores around here and don't want to buy something online and have it be too big for her. :-(

Oh, ExpatKorea.com also has a buy/sell/trade board and tends to attract more families (and hence more kids' stuff) than the infamous ESL Cafe. Last of all, http://www.usfkclassifieds.com/ is an English classified board with a place to post wanted ads.

Last edited by vickul; 06-18-2009 at 01:16 AM.
vickul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:24 AM   #13
lovemyzoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Janeen, I have a fold and store trike. I have 2 but only need one as Terresa has gotten to big for hers. I can also keep an eye out on post for people get rid of toddler things
For the 1st birthday we got a ride and push thing at Emart for Teo when he was 9 months.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:46 AM   #14
vickul
Registered Users
seller

One other thing -- you mentioned that your husband's boss hadn't had Internet set up at your apartment. You should be able to get Internet set up without his help simply by contacting Korea Telecom. They may charge a deposit for new service and will charge for installation if you don't sign a one-year contract, but it is possible to get service. http://www.kt.com/eng/pro/dome_inter...Num=1&subNum=3 gives info in English about the plans available.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:08 AM   #15
mzcatieboo
Registered Users

My Mood:

i know the feeling, my DS is 2.5 and he is horrible atm..

ive moved about 16 hrs away from my family and friends and i hate it at times but love it at others.. everyone seems to be snobby here so i havent really made any friends. im hoping to get a job and get my DS looked after just for some adult interaction.

i hope your friend back soon and u start to enjoy yourself
mzcatieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:21 AM   #16
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hmm, no idea how I missed half of these posts here, just got the last one though, sorry, I wasn't ignoring everyone, just didn't get the notifications.
My Blog: Sipping Life One Day at a Time
NATTYBATSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:35 AM   #17
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyzoo View Post
Janeen, I have a fold and store trike. I have 2 but only need one as Terresa has gotten to big for hers. I can also keep an eye out on post for people get rid of toddler things
For the 1st birthday we got a ride and push thing at Emart for Teo when he was 9 months.
That would be great! We're moving in the next three weeks now so I'm still trying to figure everything out.

Yeah, we finally get the visas and get a cell phone (by the way, anyone have any idea how to get MP3s to work on a Korean cell phone?) and the director tells my DH he finally found a replacement and she'll be here the end of July. DH has been replaced TWICE by women because the moms do not like male kindergarten teachers. However, DH has been working with a recruiter and there's a position opening up in Yong in city (not Younsan) which is at the end of the yellow line (Bundang line, I believe it is called). I'm NOT looking forward to moving yet again but I'm hoping that it will end up being a better situation all around because I've been really frustrated by what's been going on with this director. DH got totally blown off by the labor board over that 250,000 real estate charge, grr. And if that isn't bad enough, pension and insurance have not been coming out and if DH hadn't asked the director (since it was the end of the month) if he had found a replacement, who knows when he would have been told. The director at least (though somewhat reluctantly) gave DH the letter of release so that's a step in the right direction.

While not feeling as depressed, DD has been a source of frustration because she just does not want to listen and it seems some days that the MINUTE DH comes home from work, she goes from being at least somewhat behaved to being a total tyrant. It's exhausting. I'm almost afraid to take her out tomorrow because she hasn't been that great when we've gone out and I just don't know what to do with her anymore.

And now, I'm trying to figure the whole shipping thing out from the States to Korea. My brother and sister-in-law checked out UPS for a couple of items they picked up for DD and were quoted something like $65! They haven't been to the post office though so I don't know what that runs but I have an entire what will probably be a good sized box full of summer clothes I got for DD last year and stuff I've had for her before that that I would like her to wear this year and I sent the money for that but I'm worried that if it is too much, they won't send it. I really do not want to have to get DD an entire wardrobe of clothes after I got her stuff last year even if I did get most of it from rummage sales. Not to mention, I'm really in need of some coconut oil because the humidity here is doing a number on my hair and from what it sounds, it's just going to be too expensive to get here. So if anyone has any idea about how much it costs to ship stuff from the states, I'm all ears.

*sigh* Too much to do in the next three weeks and I am really getting tired of moving. But DH says this is the last one because he's getting sick of how he's being treated. It really bites because he really enjoys teaching and this was something he was looking at for a career, and was an obsession for the five years after he got home the last time but with the lack of accommodations for a family and the lousy situation with the directors he's had, he's really feeling burned out. But I'm really hoping to get enough money together for a decent car because we really cannot afford to keep getting cars that require constant, EXPENSIVE maintenance. To be honest, I really wish we could find a place where we don't even need a car, I'm getting spoiled with the public transpo here.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #18
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyzoo View Post
If you want to hang out with out kids some day let me know when your DH is off and can keep her. Or we can met and go to a park and let her play with my kids and you wouldn't notice her. My girls love metting new people.

We will be here for Thanksgiving and will have some of DH co-workers over. I have turkey, ham and other stuff. I have a small oven and convection oven that I use. I cook stuffed shells(meat free) and a bunch of side dishes.
We went 10 months with 6 kids with no oven it make dinner an adventure at the lest.
DH right now is working from about 9:30 to 5:15 but since he's not right by where we live, it takes him a little while to get back. He was supposed to have some time off in August but now, I don't know when he's going to get any time off because of the change in schools. It might not be until the winter now. Normally we would try to take some time off in the fall for the week long set of Holy Days we do but considering there are no Feast sites here and the closest one would be in Australia, I'm thinking it's not going to be easy to get the time off which bites because it's also right around our wedding anniversary. So, at the moment, he only has Saturdays and Sundays off of work.

But, DD does like other kids, loves hanging out with them, though she tends to be a little too friendly, especially towards babies (she's OBSESSED with babies right now; she thinks they are SO CUTE!) so that may be an option since DD always has fun during the play group. She's just really hard to get to eat anything other than fruit. The girl will go through like five bananas in a day but won't eat much of anything else. *sigh*
Old 07-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #19
vickul
Registered Users
seller

Shipping costs from the States vary depending on package size, but international first class mail averages $4.50-6 per pound. International priority flat rate boxes can be a good value, depending on what's being shipped.

As for coconut oil, how much do you need? http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challen...code=166597992 has the best price we've found on the stuff in Korea (~W20,000 per 12 oz.).

I prefer extra virgin coconut oil, and we go through it in quantity, so we order it from SwansonVitamins.com in the States instead. Six one-pound jars w/ shipping cost just over $90, so just over $15/pound. We order in six jar quantities because customs limits shipments of vitamins/nutritional supplements to six per package (and though coconut oil is technically neither, it's being shipped from a vitamin company, and I don't want to have to argue the point), plus it keeps the total value just under $100 -- and therefore duty-free.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
NATTYBATSMOM
Registered Users

My Mood:

Right now, we're not going through too much but I do use it for my hair and I would like to start using it on DD because she sometimes has mild eczema patches (we're talking little bits here and there). Sometimes DH uses it for eggs but for some reason, it just doesn't work for me, the coconut smell just does not seem to go with eggs for me. So yeah, for them most part, we would be using it topically and mostly because my hair really suffers in the humidity here and the coconut oil keeps it somewhat tame.

Shipping costs don't sound too bad, UPS for some reason was just really expensive. I think they mentioned they had two items, clothing items, in a small box and got a $65 quote and they totally felt that was not worth it which I can't say I blame them. Not sure how heavy the stuff I have in the states is, hopefully not over 5 lbs though even 10 lbs wouldn't be too bad but I just do not want to have to get DD a whole new wardrobe here when she's got all of those clothes back at home.