Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
sacredhrt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Potty Pager or Malem Ultimate for my nightwetting 6 year old?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy one of these little alarms for my 6 year old son who seems to have "secondary enuresis" (has started bedwetting after years of being dry at night). Can you tell I've spent the last hour reading articles about this? :-) (Dr. Sears, Mayo Clinic, etc.) It seems this is the most effective natural way to help out his bladder/brain communication other than what we've already tried (waking him in the middle of the night and taking him potty).

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had experience with one or the other - which you would recommend. Should I get the Potty Pager http://www.pottypager.com/
or Malem Ultimate http://www.bedwettingstore.com/Bedwe...ting_alarm.htm

Advertisement

Last edited by sacredhrt; 07-09-2009 at 12:03 PM.
sacredhrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
secretariat88
Registered Users

Re: Potty Pager or Malem Ultimate for my nightwetting 6 year old?

Have you tried teaching him to do kegels? Strengthing that muscle can really help him control his bladder better. Teach him to stop and start peeing as many times as he can in one pee and do this every time he does to the bathroom, this will help strengthen that PC muscle.

Do you want $425 for referring people to this site & signing up for a free trial? Click here for a legit and quick site! http://tinyurl.com/bgfbtx
secretariat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
sacredhrt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the suggestion! We have done a little of that but I don't want to do it too much since it increases the risk of urinary tract infection. For him it really is a matter of the brain and bladder not connecting when he is sleeping (deep sleeper!) because he can hold it just fine during the day.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
sacredhrt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Anyone?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
Xeniphia
Registered Users

My Mood:

I know you said you've tried waking him at night to take him to the bathroom, but have you ever managed to identify exactly when he normally wets the bed? My brother used to wet the bed every night. My mom actually had to check on him multiple times a night until she eventually identified the time he was actually wetting the bed. She then set an alarm for 2-5 minutes before that time (she started with 5 minutes) for both of them. She'd get up, make sure he got up, and take him to the bathroom.

Most bed-wetters wet at the same time each night so this usually works. If not, unfortunately I can't tell you which sensor alarm to use, we never had to go that far (though that was the next step). Also, have you asked his Dr about it? A lot of times there's a medical reason. We discovered my brother's was genetic, there's a boy in each of my mom's siblings families with the issue.
Xeniphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
sacredhrt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

His wetting hasn't been consistent. We try to take him to the bathroom every night - he never wets the bed if he empties his bladder when we wake him up. However, some nights he is so groggy he just won't go. It's probably a 50/50 chance he will wet if he doesn't go when we wake him up (or on the occasional night that we don't try to take him).

From the reading I've done, and from what I know of my son and observing his daily schedule and habits I feel pretty confident that it's a bladder/brain communication issue, and it seems these alarms are really effective at helping the body make that connection so I really want to give them a shot but we'll see. Has ANYONE used one of these?