Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2006, 09:04 AM   #21
regripley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Serious Q about circumsizion..

My DH is intact and he has never had any regrets. My son is intact -- but he is only 3 and can't give an opinion on it yet.

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #22
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

When DS was born almost 6 months ago we put a LOT of thought into making a decision. DH is circ'ed, every man in my family is circ'd... but we went against the grain and did not circ' DS.

But you know what? At the end of it all, a sweet little boy is a sweet little boy. Once you're choice is made, you don't tend to think of them in a black and white, circ' or uncirc' kind of light. When you're pregnant it seems like one of hte biggest choices you can make for your kiddo sometimes--just keep breathing, do research, pray (yes, we in fact, did pray about this choice as a family...) and don't worry about it from then on.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #23
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do in home day care and I have a little boy that is intact. It was a little strange to me at first, but I got used to it. My son is circed and I regret it. I have been with a man that was intact and I liked it a lot more than the man that was circed. As others said, it looks the same when erect but different when not.

Good luck on your decision. I will get a lot of flack by family members if we ever have another son.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:21 AM   #24
Taylor
Registered

I have never seen a uncirc penis in real life. So, what I'm wondering is, do they look the same as circ penis's when erect? (I know this is TMI but I'm curious also)
Yes, they do look the same when erect. The foreskin is pull back over the glans.

Does having sex with a circ man the same as a uncirc one? I'm asking this because I want to save my son the heartache of this later.
Personally, I enjoy the sex I've had with two intact partners over the sex I've had with the other circ'd partners. The skin eliminates a lot of the need for lubricant, and it "glides in" a lot easier.

Also, I have heard some people say they smell differently and alot of people dont like dealing with that, is this true?
I have not experienced this. If there is a bad smell down there (whether it be an intact man or a circ'd man) I would assume they need to wash up a little better.

Also, if you know any uncirc men, do they regret not being circ and wish they were?
My husband is intact and has done a lot of his own research on the topic - and is very thankful that he was left as is. Of course, his main reasoning being that intact men experience much more intense orgasms because their glans is sensitive as it is always lubricated and covered - compared to a circ'd man who's glans gets dried out and lacks sensation because it's exposed to the air constantly.

The American Academy of Pediatrics doesn't even recommend circumcision. You can find that information here.

Routine Infant Circumcision is the equivalent to getting a nose job done on your child when they are born, IMO. It's purely cosmetic. It is not cleaner. It is just as easy to teach your son to pull his foreskin back and rinse with warm water as it is to teach your daughter to wash between her labia. If we're going to practice RIC for that reason than we should do the same with girls and their labia.

The foreskin plays a very important role for the glans. It keeps it lubricated and "safe". I know that I could not imagine having the skin of my clitoris surgically removed.

Wanting your child to look like his father is a pretty silly reason. (I'm just going through the list of reasons that people give when circing.) When will your husband and son sit around comparing their membranes?

And above all - it is the childs body part, not the mothers or fathers. If they wish to be circumcised when they are older, than they can have that procedure done when they are old enough to decide. If they do decide to get it done when they are older, atleast they can administer pain medication to themselves after the procedure. Infants often have inadequate anesthesia, if any at all, during the procedure and are not given the privelege of pain medications for after the procedure. I don't know about you, but I think I would be in quite a bit of pain after having a large piece of skin surgically removed.

Last edited by Taylor; 12-27-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:35 AM   #25
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

As far as looks, my dh is NOT and his penis looks like everyone elses with the skin pulled down. I've been with both and it seems that uncircumsized men are much more sensitive. Figure this: most intact men keep their foreskin over their glans unless urinating or during sexual activity. When it comes to oral and intercourse, their glans get exposed, making more it sensitive (my experience). For men who have been circumsized, their glans are constantly exposed and the senstivity reduced. Again, my experience. As far as the receiving end of intercourse, they both feel the same.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #26
thetoolmaster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DH is circ but 19mo DS is not - when I was pg w/DS I knew nothing about the arguments for or against, I really thought it was just something everybody did. Fortunately I have a wonderful DH who didn't think it was necessary, and thought the arguments pro circ (looking like the father, etc.) were kind of stupid. Also, his older brother is intact and DH could never figure out why he was circ and his brother not - seemed pretty random to him. I didn't have strong feelings about it either way so I just went with DH on it.

Fast forward to now and I am SO grateful we didn't circ DS, I've read tons of stuff on it since then and I really think it does a lot of harm, both physically and psychologically. It just breaks my heart thinking about putting a baby who has just entered this world through such pain and trauma - especially when there are NO valid reasons to circ. In fact, we're the only country in the Western world (and most of the rest of the world, in my understanding) that still routinely circs.

Anyway, off my soapbox for now. If your "gut" is telling you no (which I sense it might be based on your ambivalence in your original post) - go with your mama's instinct! Here's the bottom line: if you circ your son and regret it later you can't go back and change it, but if you don't circ and he decides he wants to be later he can always get it done himself.
thetoolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #27
Taylor
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoolmaster View Post
My DH is circ but 19mo DS is not - when I was pg w/DS I knew nothing about the arguments for or against, I really thought it was just something everybody did. Fortunately I have a wonderful DH who didn't think it was necessary, and thought the arguments pro circ (looking like the father, etc.) were kind of stupid. Also, his older brother is intact and DH could never figure out why he was circ and his brother not - seemed pretty random to him. I didn't have strong feelings about it either way so I just went with DH on it.

Fast forward to now and I am SO grateful we didn't circ DS, I've read tons of stuff on it since then and I really think it does a lot of harm, both physically and psychologically. It just breaks my heart thinking about putting a baby who has just entered this world through such pain and trauma - especially when there are NO valid reasons to circ. In fact, we're the only country in the Western world (and most of the rest of the world, in my understanding) that still routinely circs.

Anyway, off my soapbox for now. If your "gut" is telling you no (which I sense it might be based on your ambivalence in your original post) - go with your mama's instinct! Here's the bottom line: if you circ your son and regret it later you can't go back and change it, but if you don't circ and he decides he wants to be later he can always get it done himself.
Hooray for hubbies who make us think, eh? If it wasn't for my husband being intact I probably would have circ'd DS "just because it's what you do." Thank goodness he made me stop and think!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #28
somersocial
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for posting this!
Old 12-27-2006, 10:38 AM   #29
Tangy
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My first two sons are circ'd. I didn't do any research on it, the first I even THOUGHT about it was while I was in labor with him and someone asked. I just did what I thought was the "norm" and had it done. I didn't like the afterwards, where he screamed for hours and his little penis was bloody and raw. I didn't like that I had to wrap it in gauze wrapped in vaseline to protect him from his own urine. I hated it all.. but still didn't educate myself and circ'd my next son, too.

My youngest son was not circ'd. I NEVER watched the video, I could not watch a baby go through that for any reason. I just knew it was not medically necessary, it did more damage than good, but mostly.. that he could possibly resent me for it later. I didn't feel that it was my decision to take something away from him that he was fully entitled to, in fact, born with. It was there for a reason.. and it will stay there until he decides otherwise, which I don't think he ever will. I hope some day he thinks to himself, "I am so glad my mom did not do that to me, I wonder if she knew I'd appreciate it later?" I also hope that my decision for him guides his decision with his own kids and that he realizes and respects that our boys have the right to make the decision for themselves.

I wondered about the sex later, I wondered about the care, the maintenance. I just decided that I would take all that as it came. I felt it was my responsibility and my DUTY as his mother to take care of him, in it's entirety, whatever that might be.

I've found that I've had no different care with him than the others. You're NOT supposed to pull the skin back and clean underneath if they are not circ'd. There is a gland in there which will stay intact until he gets an erection himself. To pull it back would be extremely painful. His private area does not stink or anything.

I would do more medical research than anything, mama.. Also, should you decide to circ, remember something. The videos you see, those are probably released by anti-circ people. You better believe those people are going to find the worst, most mutilating and horrifying video they can find to steer you from circ'ing your little one.

Make the decision thats best for you. Also, I want to mention.. the whole 'look the same in the locker room' thing is going to be the total opposite once our babies are in high school. Circ isn't the norm anymore and I know it's going to decrease as more time goes by.

Our hospital doesn't even offer circs in the newborn unit anymore. I feel this is going to be widespread soon, same with insurance not covering them.
Tangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #30
laneylue+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never seen a uncirc penis in real life. So, what I'm wondering is, do they look the same as circ penis's when erect? (I know this is TMI but I'm curious also)
Yes, they do. PM me if you want some links to photos so you can see for yourself - erect and flacid. It's not "****," but it's the naked male so I don't want to post links here.

Does having sex with a circ man the same as a uncirc one? I'm asking this because I want to save my son the heartache of this later.
I have enjoyed sex with intact men better. I think it just depends on the man and the individual experience, but that's been my experience.

Also, I have heard some people say they smell differently and alot of people dont like dealing with that, is this true?

I agree with the PP that it depends on how clean the man is. Some circumcised men don't smell like roses down there, either.

Also, if you know any uncirc men, do they regret not being circ and wish they were?
To be honest, yes. I have known one who got circumcised at 22 years old. His wife left him and he thought it would help get her back. Obviously, she didn't leave him for that reason and she never went back to him.

I also know a few intact males who are vehemently opposed to circumcision. They are quite happy to be intact and wouldn't have it any other way. They are angry that circumcision in infants is routine practice in this country and they helped me make the best decision for my son.

My decision was to leave it alone. He was born that way for a reason and his penis is perfect just the way it is.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
laneylue+2 is offline   Reply With Quote