View Poll Results: What should I do?
Push the baby food. She needs it. 4 3.60%
Straight to table food. She needs it. 11 9.91%
Just EBF. 71 63.96%
other (please explain) 25 22.52%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2006, 01:07 PM   #21
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need Opinions

I have always been a firm believer in going with what feels comfortable for the child in situations like this....my pedi told me the same thing abou tmikey at our 6 months check-up but I didnt care I would try every now and then but mostly he just wanted his bottle so I le thim have it....and eventually he got curious about the baby food and would reach for it...and so id try it again until he was totally comfortable with it.....I have plenty of friends whos kids didnt eat any solids or baby food till over 1 yr old...and they are all just fine...your BM has all the stuff your dc needs anyway, so if its doing the trick go with it

I believe babies will communicate when they are needing and wanting more....mikey makes it very clear to me when the bottle isnt doing the trick and he wants real food..unmistakable communication abou that and he doesnt even talk...I say use your mother intuition and stick with what you think is best for your dc!!

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #22
LoveSunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't push the solids. Like others have said, every baby is different and she will let you know when she's ready. Besides that, I don't know how you're going to get her to eat if she doesn't want to... my son's jaw was like a steel trap!!

LoveSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #23
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little boy Silas would not eat baby food. Never. He didn't like the texture. I know ladies who haven't given solids until 9 months. It won't hurt.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #24
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

If you really want her on foods, you can add breastmilk to whatever you are feeding her so she has some of the flavor.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:02 PM   #25
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I say wait. What's the point in trying to force feed a baby that isn't ready? Feeding prior to a year isn't for major nutrition - it's more practice than anything. Whether you feed solids at 3 meals a day or not at all, the majority of her nutrition will still come from nursing. She'll let you know when she's ready. I tried solids for my dc at 7 months old. He ended up barfing most of the time with solids and broke out in rashes each time I tried. Our ped told me to hold off that his system wasn't ready. At 10.5 months, he started eating table food. It took him a couple of months to "get it" but he eats great now.

Laura who's loving life
Dyeing/Knitting WAHM

Last edited by Knittress; 12-27-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:05 PM   #26
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm with all the ladies - wait, follow your own instinct on your own child. I think pushing it is just setting yourself up for future food battles and she'll lyk when she is ready.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #27
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a believer that sometimes kids just know what's best for them... While foods at 6 months may be ok for some, they may not be for others...

My son refused to eat any solids until after 15 months, so was EBF... the docs, etc couldn't believe his iron & weight was always great with no concerns... they wouldn't have know if I hadn't told them that he didn't eat solids... they also pushed us a little, but we just ignored them!

I have heard that thier could be a relation between allergies & young children refusing to eat solids, so we didn't push it & around 18 mos & 2 yrs he made strides in eating... He is still very picky, but I don't worry... Just yesterday he ate a handful of almonds, which he used to think were "icky!"
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:50 PM   #28
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Follow her lead. I don't think that you need baby food either. We didn't relaly use it. I mean, what did babies eat before baby food was comercialized? They ate what mom and dad at - from the table. Anyway, let her do what she does. Follow her lead.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #29
kissum
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Don't push it! My 11 month old is still almost entirely EBF and I've worried about it a little, but as my doc said, they eat when they are ready. Don't stress about it, think- do you know any teenagers who refuse solids? It'll pass.
kissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #30
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemybabies View Post
Molly is 7 months old. Almost entirely EBF. At her 6 month check-up the ped wanted me to start pushing solids. She doesn't like baby food, one bite and she seals her mouth shut. Should I push them, try table food (she likes bread and small pieces of green beans), or just wait-all she needs is Breast milk?

I started Ana out on solids at 5.5 months and she loved them, so I'm not sure what to do now. Thanks.
I voted ebf as that's all she needs right now. I'd keep trying solids with her though but NOT push them. I'd try a mixture of foods though... maybe she'd prefer table food. Then again, maybe she's just not ready for solids.

Solids are really for practice only the first year of life and don't provide much in the way of calories or nutrition in comparison to bm anyways, so just follow your dd's lead. When she's ready for solids she'll eat them. And little bits here are there are good enough at her age.
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote