Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:22 PM   #21
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Freebirthing

UC is pretty common. I'm considering doing this. I don't feel that I need a midwife there nor do I want one either.

Advertisement

Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #22
amelia222
Registered Users

I would (sadly) not consider freebirthing, or probably not even a home birth if I have another child. DD had to be put on oxygen after inhaling blood/mucous when I had a major hemmorage. I lost tons of blood and in that moment I was so glad to be in a hospital. For the ideal no-complications birth, freebirthing sounds like an amazing experience.
amelia222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #23
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't feel that I know my body well enough to even attempt it. I'm not interested either nor would my husband allow me. I think it's everyone's personal choice and who am I to say anything negative about it.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #24
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

I think that it'd be very empowering and freeing.

That being said - I hemorrhaged after giving birth to my daughter (in a hospital under the supervision of an OB) and would have died had I been in a home setting. Heck, I nearly died in a hospital setting (that's what I'm told anyway; I don't remember some parts after DD was born).
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #25
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
Because of my DD's complications at birth, I know I will have a hard time deciding what to do if I have another baby. Unassisted is very high up on my list because if I had the same situation happen, I would choose to let the baby die rather than go through what DD has gone through. I go back and forth between wanting a planned c-section, to wanting a homebirth with a midwife who is ok with not calling the squad, to doing unassisted, to doing a hospital birth only if they would be willing to abstain from interventions if the same thing happened.

Bottom line....I'm not going to let someone force my child to live and it would be simpler if there was no midwife or doctor to resuscitate him/her or call the squad against my wishes.

And now that we think DD's problems may be genetic in nature...well let's just say it's even more important I have a good plan in place.
Oh mama, I just glimpsed at your blog and my heart aches for what you have been through. Your daughter is beautiful! I am sending good thoughts your way.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #26
Dayzee1081
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have thought about this for a while, but after having a very difficult and traumatic birth with my DD, I realized it is not safe or practical for me to attempt with future births. It's probably a great fit for some families though.
Dayzee1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #27
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

if I had more family support Id do it but since I dont Im oping for a midwife or doula at home.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #28
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think there's actually a lot of women on here that birth unassisted. I think my friend does (she has 6 now) but b/c she's so busy we trade baby announcements and that's it.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #29
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i planned on a UC with my youngest. but for some reason i felt "called" if you will, to contact a MW around 26 weeks. im glad i did, but i wish i could have had a UC. after the highly managed, "in the spotlight" and traumatic pg and birth of my twins, i just wanted to relax and enjoy my pg and birth, without all the "noise". and for the most part i did. like i said, im glad the MW was here for me, but i would totally consider UC again if i have another baby (which is really unlikely!).

eta~ i have not watched freebirth yet, though i recorded it last night and am looking forward to seeing it!

Last edited by titania; 06-19-2009 at 08:47 PM.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #30
kristenb423
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

I will not judge others that choose this option; however, it is definitely not for me. With knowing the problems a child can endure with even a brief period of anoxia, I would never feel comfortable with a birth where oxygen levels couldn't be monitored closely with medical intervention at the first sign of any distress.
kristenb423 is offline   Reply With Quote