Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
ForeverYoung
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I need some help! Is Seven months too old to start?

I need some direction. If I were inclined to EC my baby, (she is 7 months old) how would I start? I mean, just today my daughter was whining, so I went to change her diaper. I noticed that she needed to poop, so I took her to the potty, where she went. Twice today. Just now, she peed in her diaper and complained - but got happy when I changed her. She is 7 months old. I know it's too early for traditional potty training or whatnot, as she can't talk yet - much less walk to the potty or anything.

Now, that all said, is it too late to start ECing - and if not, HOW do I?

I welcome spam here!

Advertisement

Last edited by ForeverYoung; 06-21-2009 at 09:06 PM.
ForeverYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
treyci
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I need some help! Is Seven months too old to start?

treyci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
pantufla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am just starting EC with my 6mo, who is my 3rd child. (I didn't EC with the other two.) Talking is just ONE method of communicating. You and your DD are communicating just fine if you knew she needed to poo, you took her to the potty, and she pooped. That, to my mind, is what EC is all about.

Don't worry about HOW to do it. You already are!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
joeymomrn
Registered Users

My Mood:

You can start whenever you want. Since she's already pooped on the potty then just put her on the potty several times a day. After naps and whenever you change her diaper. Make the cueing sound (pssst for pee and a little grunt for poop) when shes going. I like bblp because it fits right on my changing table. Just do this for a while. The harder part seems to be to get them to tell you when they need to go. I'm trying to work on this one now with my 9 mos old ds. Good luck!

Jeanine Catholic, wife to dh (4-28-07), semi-nonvaccing, NFP, home schooler, mommy to J (9-12-08) B (12-9-11) and due 4-28-13 with #3
joeymomrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
isaacsmum
Registered Users

I don't really know the answer, but I just started EC with my 9 month old about two weeks ago. He really picked it up fast, almost every time I set him on the potty he goes. He's even started crawling over to the potty when he's ready. I'd suggest just setting her on there every 2 hours, and after naps and feeding. I figure even one less dirty diaper is a good thing!

Last edited by isaacsmum; 06-23-2009 at 02:06 PM.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
AKSavvy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm in the same boat so I will take any advice also
AKSavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
aomatsu
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantufla View Post

Don't worry about HOW to do it. You already are!
Just keep on like you are and stay relaxed about it. I started about the same time with DD. just take you lo when you think she has to go and watch her closely for a while to learn her cues, otherwise you can rely on timing for a while. GL!
aomatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
kimh76
Registered Users
seller

I started with my son at 8 months and here we are 5 months later.... I think I've changed 3 poopy diapers since we started ECing, and that was during a bad teething week

So no, it's definitley not too late to start! I started by putting him on right when he wakes up in the morning and after naps, even if the diaper is wet, they still will usually pee. I have lots of books and toys nearby so he stays occupied until he's done. And then I would just watch for signs that he was about to poop and when I saw it, I would quickly put him on. Now he only poops on the potty and just started signing "potty" if he needs to go, I love it! Depending on the day, we might miss a lot of pees or we might not miss any, but I still try to keep offering the potty. He'll shake his head if he doesn't want to go.

Start with timing if you don't see any cues. I think babies generally pee about every 30 min in the morning and then in the afternoon, more like every hour. I still kind of go by that but now that he's older, he can hold it longer.... but some days he doesn't.

The Diaper Free Baby has great tips starting with an older baby and it's a super fast read. The best thing to keep in mind is to be relaxed about it and have fun. It shouldn't be stressful, it's just another way to communicate with your baby. Good luck!
kimh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's when we started. Poops have been the easiest to catch, pees are a little harder, but we started using the sign for toilet, and he is finally catching on. Catching the poops alone was enough for me!
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
mother_04_07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

its never to late ... my #2 son did not even start till he was 10mos old
6/02 ~ 7/02~ 12/03 9/04 Born @ 38.0w LifeFlight/NICU/IA defect Surgery #1@3days old,#2 2/06, #3 11/09,#4 6/10,#5 8/10
7/2007born emergency c-section @39.0wIn STOCK Mama Cloth & PAST WORK
mother_04_07 is offline   Reply With Quote