Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
aran_knitter
Registered Users

Vitamin Supplement

My pediatrician is telling me that I need to give my newborn a multivitamin supplement... mostly for vitamin D.

Does anyone have an opinion or knowledge on this subject?

Advertisement

http://bruisedreed.wordpress.com/
aran_knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:45 PM   #2
queenie3
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vitamin Supplement

Yes, I've heard this also. I have a brand new box if you need some. PM me and maybe we can work something out.
queenie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
Mamatoto2
Registered Users

My opinion is that it's crap. My knowledge is that this recommendation is based on some relatively recent research (within the past 5 years or so) suggesting that children who are breastfeed need supplementation of vitamin D becase it is not present in large quantities in breastmilk. However, unless your child literally NEVER sees the light of day s/he will not require supplementation. If you take DC on errands with you or to the park, etc. s/he will get sufficient vitamin D from sunlight. If you're worried, you can supplement naturally by placing near a window in a diaper and baby will soak in the vitamin D (I think you'd want to avoid direct sunlight though to protect tender skin). Mothering magazine covered this topic in the last year or two I think (maybe 3). Try doing a search there. In general, I'm wary of any suggestion that my breastmilk needs to be supplemented. I believe that it's the way it is for a reason and is not inadequate in any respect.

HTH.
Mamatoto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Tootsiemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd's former (notice I say FORMER) pedi tried forcing that stuff on my dd too, saying that she'll be low on Iron, and dadadda blah blah....did a full nutrition work up on her, checked her iron, PERFECT nutrition. Never gave her a drop of that stuff. I think as long as the kids are healthy and have no issues, it's not needed. I saw a special on some channel about how parents are unknowingly over dosing their kids on vitamins, there are some vitamins that are dangerous if taken too much, iron is one of em. I believe Vitamin A is too. Correct me if I'm wrong there, I can't remember the names of some of them
Tootsiemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

I'd get a second opinion because my ped said my kids did not need it. Since everyone seems to say something different, just research it and do what you're comfortable with.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsiemomma View Post
My dd's former (notice I say FORMER) pedi tried forcing that stuff on my dd too, saying that she'll be low on Iron, and dadadda blah blah....did a full nutrition work up on her, checked her iron, PERFECT nutrition. Never gave her a drop of that stuff. I think as long as the kids are healthy and have no issues, it's not needed. I saw a special on some channel about how parents are unknowingly over dosing their kids on vitamins, there are some vitamins that are dangerous if taken too much, iron is one of em. I believe Vitamin A is too. Correct me if I'm wrong there, I can't remember the names of some of them

That is correct about Vit A and Iron, there are more I am just dreawing a blank.(NAK) I think that many of these recommendations are comming from the fact that formula has a certain level of vitamins so they are trying to say that BM doesn't have the same amount, but I think formula overcompensates so it makes BM look inferior, if that makes sense. JMO though I haven't truely researched this. BM has been perfect for babies for thousands of years and I don't think anyone has changed the recipe I have never given my babes vitamins and I have heard that they are nasty and most babies won't take them any way so save your money.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 07:27 PM   #7
automatik2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our former pediatrician told us to give dd vitamins also - from the first time we met him right up until the last time we saw him (when he told me to wean at one year ). I never did as I don't think its necessary and my breastmilk is more than sufficient. I eat (mostly!) healthy and we get outside at least once/day.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Make sure you newborn gets enough sun and breastmilk and you will be fine. We were putting DD directly in the sun (in our living room, it was December) to help treat her jaundice. The doctor siad if we continued to get her out in the sun on a regular basis she whould get enough vitamin D.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
blessed with boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never given my babies vitamins....breastmilk is all they need. We dont purposely go out into the sun everyday either, and my kids are all doing fine.
blessed with boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:16 PM   #10
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Hmmm, let's think about this... Woo makes these vitamin drops?? Oh, that's right-Enfamil! They figure if you're BFing, they have to get your money somehow!

No, you don't need to give your baby a vitamin supplement.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote