Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #21
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DC mamas! What do you suggest for crying kiddos when you leave the room?

Ooooooooo.....but it did get me to thinking. Maybe a corner convex mirror might work. Like one you see at a gas station or bank or anywhere else that has a corner that needs to be seen around. Then the girls could see me still(the corner mirror would see around the corner & up from the bottom of the steps to the top of the steps, which there is my kitchen!) but that still doesn't solve it completely because of the bathroom issue. But it solves the out of sight issue with hand washing & food stuff.
I tried the singing today loudly while I was gone and they seemed to cry not as hard. And I have been doing the peeking around the landing rail peek a boo thing today too.
As an AP parent, you just really feel like most crying can be avoided & worked with. I do understand the CIO thing but as an AP parent I can't just turn that part of me off just because the child is not my bio child. I just really really dislike crying. I feel like someone's gonna need counseling because I didn't DO something to comfort them.
KWIM?
Anyway, good suggestions everybody. And keep them coming if you think of anything else.

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #22
budafam
Registered Users

I had a little boy that did this to me when I started watching him. He eventually grew out of it. I would just let them, they'll get over it eventually. It's not going to traumatize them.
budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:01 PM   #23
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
Ooooooooo.....but it did get me to thinking. Maybe a corner convex mirror might work. Like one you see at a gas station or bank or anywhere else that has a corner that needs to be seen around. Then the girls could see me still(the corner mirror would see around the corner & up from the bottom of the steps to the top of the steps, which there is my kitchen!) but that still doesn't solve it completely because of the bathroom issue. But it solves the out of sight issue with hand washing & food stuff.
I tried the singing today loudly while I was gone and they seemed to cry not as hard. And I have been doing the peeking around the landing rail peek a boo thing today too.
As an AP parent, you just really feel like most crying can be avoided & worked with. I do understand the CIO thing but as an AP parent I can't just turn that part of me off just because the child is not my bio child. I just really really dislike crying. I feel like someone's gonna need counseling because I didn't DO something to comfort them.
KWIM?
Anyway, good suggestions everybody. And keep them coming if you think of anything else.
Keep singing and playing peek a boo Since they are crying less then they are starting to understand that you are still there. That is wonderful!!

And YES to the second underlined part as well! Beautifully put!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #24
tea4two321
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
So if I get cheap cameras, they will stop crying when I leave the room?
I guess I don't see your point.

ugh. no, I guess you don't get my point. It's not about the crying, it's about safety. Even if they ARE crying you can SEE why and not just assume it's because you left the room.

I like the idea of the mirror that you mentioned.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #25
JollyHolly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I agree w/ the poster who suggested a tv. SOME kind of distraction would probably help the situation. That way they arent thinking so much about you being gone, and it will help them be occupied for the few minutes so it wont feel like so long. Maybe it could be your routine to make it enjoyable for them. "Ok, I'm turning on _______ while I make lunch." You know how Sprout channel has those little 10 and 15 min cartoons, that way they're not watching tv all day long. And FTR, I'm pretty anti-tv.. I use it as a tool, not a babysitter.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #26
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We don't even have a TV in the DC room, so that isn't an option. We just have an iPod with a huge selection of shuffled kids songs & classical music that plays throughout the day.
Thanks though!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #27
JamieJLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think that the singing or talking to them is going to be your best option. They might still cry, but as least you know that they know that you haven't totally left. When I get tired of the singing, I count loudly for my DD. I'll tell her, "mama's going to the bathroom. I'm going to count to 20, ready?! one! two!..." and then I try to do a peekaboo or hug or kiss when I get to 20.

If they still cry, there's not much you can do about it. But my DD definitely seems less panicked if she can hear me. She might be mad, but not scared, KWIM?
JamieJLD is offline   Reply With Quote