Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
nemawei
DS Addict!
seller

My Mood:
Ear tubes and ear plugs

DD (almost 16 months old) got ear tubes June 12. ENT doc told us we had to use ear plugs for every bath until the tubes come out (in a year or two). DD HATES the ear plugs. (I bought the $10 ones from the ENT doc .. they are relatively hard plastic and shaped kind of like an ear .. a piece goes in her ear and the rest sits outside).

She is in complete meltdown the entire time the ear plugs are in. I think something that covered her entire ear would be much less upsetting to her .. I googled it, but didn't see anything like it.

I don't know how to get the shampoo out of her hair without pouring water over her head ... that's the only time I think I REALLY need them .. just during the hair rinsing part.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a ear plug like I mentioned or something else that would help?

Thanks, Mamas!

Advertisement

nemawei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ear tubes and ear plugs

I don't know.

I think it's weird how doctors' advice vary. My daughter had tubes put in her ear on January 27th of this year (she was 18m) and we were specifically told NOT to put anything into her ears. To bathe her as usual, to let her play in water, swim... whatever.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
domdandev
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equivocal View Post
I don't know.

I think it's weird how doctors' advice vary. My daughter had tubes put in her ear on January 27th of this year (she was 18m) and we were specifically told NOT to put anything into her ears. To bathe her as usual, to let her play in water, swim... whatever.
Our Dr. told us the same thing, don't worry about it. That was almost 2 years ago (still has the same tubes, might have to have them taken out this winter) we have never had any problems and no ear infections scince the tubes. We swim at pools ALL the time, he goes under water, and in the bath he lays with his head half under the water, ears an all. The only thing the Dr. said might cause a problem is if we were going to be swimming in natural rivers or lakes because they can be so dirty, but as long as it is clean water we don't have to do a thing. I would talk to your Dr. again and ask.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
nicole3567
Registered Users

My Mood:

we use a ear cover i found at target for the pool but not in the bath tub. Its just a water proof band that fits over the ears
nicole3567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we use these they cover the ear canal and don't go in. Much easier once you get the hang of them! Our ent is crazy about preventing water in the ears.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
Airyl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyutalktome View Post
we use these they cover the ear canal and don't go in. Much easier once you get the hang of them! Our ent is crazy about preventing water in the ears.
I used some like this when I was little. They're pretty comfy since they just mold to the shape of your ear. I had tubes put in several times from about 18mos to 13yrs), and I would get horrible headaches if I got water in my ears. Good luck finding what works for your lo!

I am a child of God.
Airyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
mommysweetpea
Registered Users
seller

Coat a cotton ball in vaseline and put it in her ear. It works great and it's soft. Just be sure to thoroughly coat the whole cotton ball so no water gets in. I still have tubes in my ears and I need to use ear plugs for anything involving water. If the tiniest splash of water gets in my ears, it immediately starts hurting badly. So watch your kiddo and see if it hurts her when water gets in or not. If she seems to be in pain after water, use the ear plugs. If she is not, then she is probably ok without them.
mommysweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has tubes, he has since 7 months (and he's 3 year and 3 months now). We never use the plugs for the bath, we never have. With tubes, water can't actually get into a child's tubes without a substancial amount of pressure, I think something like jumping 6ft under water would be enough to make the water push back into the tubes. They are too small to allow water to just flow back. In a bath, she'll be just fine. Water can get on/in her ears, it won't go back far enough to do anything.

NOW, my kid doesn't like water in his ears in general, but it's not because of the tubes, he just doesn't like that feeling, so you may have to use the plugs for that reason, but like I said, the water won't hurt her.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #9
mom_2_carson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both my kiddos have or have had tubs. Our ENT said nothing special was necessary when in the water unless it was a lake and then to use the ear drops 2x just to make sure an infection doesn't start.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son has tubes and the ENT said that the ones he used were fairly water resistant. He said no worries for bath times, etc. We've had them in for almost 1 yr now and they are still open and functioning, and we've never had any problems.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote