View Poll Results: Does this make me a hypocrite
Yes it does 42 41.58%
No way mama 53 52.48%
Other - please explain 6 5.94%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
shelbell's Avatar
shelbell
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,016
My Mood:
So, does this make me a hypocrite?

I'm still nursing dd at 21 months and plan to let her wean on her own. Whenever anyone gives me a hard time about it I just say the the AAP recommends nursing to a minimum of 1 and how ever long after that is ok with mom and baby and that WHO says two minimum and then beyond if mom and babe desire. BUT, I also skipped the MMR, Chicken Pox, Hep A and the last polio and DTP which of course goes against the AAP recommendation. I guess this makes me feel like I'm picking and choosing the offical recommendations to suit my beliefs and that in doing so I'm being a hypocrite. What do you think?

Advertisement

shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
mommyof5_04's Avatar
mommyof5_04
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 238
My Mood:
Re: So, does this make me a hypocrite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
I'm still nursing dd at 21 months and plan to let her wean on her own. Whenever anyone gives me a hard time about it I just say the the AAP recommends nursing to a minimum of 1 and how ever long after that is ok with mom and baby and that WHO says two minimum and then beyond if mom and babe desire. BUT, I also skipped the MMR, Chicken Pox, Hep A and the last polio and DTP which of course goes against the AAP recommendation. I guess this makes me feel like I'm picking and choosing the offical recommendations to suit my beliefs and that in doing so I'm being a hypocrite. What do you think?

imo yes and no. for the yes i think all children should have these vac. and no because everybody does have a choice in what they want.
belief and religion is being messed with in the fact that because in the state i live in it doesnt matter ur belief u have to vac for ur child to school so alot of people say its there religion not to vac.
i know alot of people are probley going to yell at me about this but my belief is all children should have the best and that goes for vacs. no i dont give the flu or like with the last thing swine but everything else i do.
everybody can make there own minds up what they want and i dont think anybody has the right to tell one person they have too.

forgot to add congrats on nursing this long. i give u big props and let ur lo decide on her own when she wants to wean. good job mom

Last edited by mommyof5_04; 06-22-2009 at 09:31 PM.
mommyof5_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
RebekahG77's Avatar
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,881
Re: So, does this make me a hypocrite?

Maybe when you're explaining the reasons for extended bf'ing, just forget the part about AAP and cite other health reasons That way, you don't have to explain why you choose some of their recommendations and not others. Either way, you're the mama, and you decide what's best for your babes
__________________
Rebekah ~Wife to my love, Mama to my two littles, Stepmom to one beautiful young woman~
Forever in my heart; Luisa Grace and her tiny siblings.
"In your children, you've been handed a piece of history in advance - a gracious gift you send to a time you will not see." ~Tim Kimmel
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
De-lovely's Avatar
De-lovely
Registered
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,286
My Mood:
Re: So, does this make me a hypocrite?

There are no negative effects to extended nursing, however as a non-vaxer, I believe there are possibly incredible adverse effects to vaccinating. I think its apples and oranges no matter who is making the recommendation.
__________________
Niki: single, divorced, missin' CD's, no vax, no circ, wish I coulda homeschooled, sneaker obsessed, poet, avid reading, meditating, sometimes knitting, music junkie, film enthusiast WOHmama to Emma 11/28/03, Elena 11/28/04, Quinn 4/22/06 and Cora 10/26/07...
De-lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,465
My Mood:
Re: So, does this make me a hypocrite?

In this case, no. It seems like you're saying it to get people to leave you alone about what you know if best for your child. I spout off AAP/WHO statements all the time to my grandma b/c it's the only way to get her to stop giving me grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof5_04 View Post
imo yes and no. for the yes i think all children should have these vac. and no because everybody does have a choice in what they want.
belief and religion is being messed with in the fact that because in the state i live in it doesnt matter ur belief u have to vac for ur child to school so alot of people say its there religion not to vac.
i know alot of people are probley going to yell at me about this but my belief is all children should have the best and that goes for vacs. no i dont give the flu or like with the last thing swine but everything else i do.
everybody can make there own minds up what they want and i dont think anybody has the right to tell one person they have too.

forgot to add congrats on nursing this long. i give u big props and let ur lo decide on her own when she wants to wean. good job mom
OT: It says you live in IL. IL does have exemptions besides medical for schools. Plus, every state has medical exemptions.
What is best for my child is not being exposed to chemicals that have a great potential to cause harm. Many of those chemicals are found in vaccines. You will only get flamed for this statement b/c non-vaccinating parents care very deeply about their children and want only the best. (At least all the ones I've met.)
__________________
Laura
Wife to H & Mom to (11) (8) (5)

Read about our homeschool journey here.

Last edited by ~Laura~; 06-22-2009 at 09:36 PM.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
kmwillford's Avatar
kmwillford
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 509
My Mood:
Re: So, does this make me a hypocrite?

Yeah. Don't site the aap. They don't know everything. Do what's best for you and DD. Why should you even have to explain? That being said, I do think it's kind of creepy to see 7 yr olds nursing.
__________________
BFing, CDing, non-circ'ing, vaxing mama to 3 gorgeous little boys

ISO: gift cards, nintendo DS + games for a 7 yr old boy
kmwillford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
shelbell's Avatar
shelbell
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,016
My Mood:
Re: So, does this make me a hypocrite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-lovely View Post
There are no negative effects to extended nursing, however as a non-vaxer, I believe there are possibly incredible adverse effects to vaccinating. I think its apples and oranges no matter who is making the recommendation.
I agree with you but I guess my point is that taking one of the AAP's recs and not the other makes me feel like a hypocrite. I don't feel the need to justify my decisions but I do want to have "credible" references for those that question why dd is "still" nursing.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
shelbell's Avatar
shelbell
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,016
My Mood:
Re: So, does this make me a hypocrite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof5_04 View Post
imo yes and no. for the yes i think all children should have these vac. and no because everybody does have a choice in what they want.
belief and religion is being messed with in the fact that because in the state i live in it doesnt matter ur belief u have to vac for ur child to school so alot of people say its there religion not to vac.
i know alot of people are probley going to yell at me about this but my belief is all children should have the best and that goes for vacs. no i dont give the flu or like with the last thing swine but everything else i do.
everybody can make there own minds up what they want and i dont think anybody has the right to tell one person they have too.

forgot to add congrats on nursing this long. i give u big props and let ur lo decide on her own when she wants to wean. good job mom

I believe that by not injecting my child with a live virus and cells from aborted fetal tissue and cow serum is what's best for my child, which is why I've made the decision I did. Please remember that non-vaxers love their children and want what's best for them just like you do.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
shelbell's Avatar
shelbell
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,016
My Mood:
Re: So, does this make me a hypocrite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Freak_955 View Post
In this case, no. It seems like you're saying it to get people to leave you alone about what you know if best for your child. I spout off AAP/WHO statements all the time to my grandma b/c it's the only way to get her to stop giving me grief.
This is why, exactly!
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
De-lovely's Avatar
De-lovely
Registered
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 3,286
My Mood:
Re: So, does this make me a hypocrite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
I agree with you but I guess my point is that taking one of the AAP's recs and not the other makes me feel like a hypocrite. I don't feel the need to justify my decisions but I do want to have "credible" references for those that question why dd is "still" nursing.


Then thats when I would go back to saying there are no negative effects of extended nursing and there are of vaccinations so in this instance you have to pick and choose what recommendations you consider.
__________________
Niki: single, divorced, missin' CD's, no vax, no circ, wish I coulda homeschooled, sneaker obsessed, poet, avid reading, meditating, sometimes knitting, music junkie, film enthusiast WOHmama to Emma 11/28/03, Elena 11/28/04, Quinn 4/22/06 and Cora 10/26/07...
De-lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.