View Poll Results: Does this make me a hypocrite
Yes it does 42 41.58%
No way mama 53 52.48%
Other - please explain 6 5.94%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #11
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: So, does this make me a hypocrite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebekahG77 View Post
Maybe when you're explaining the reasons for extended bf'ing, just forget the part about AAP and cite other health reasons That way, you don't have to explain why you choose some of their recommendations and not others. Either way, you're the mama, and you decide what's best for your babes

just tell them the benefits of extended BF (they can google it if they don't want to believe you) and then leave it at that. you can use whatever information you find to help you reach your decisions, it's not an all-or-nothing type of situation i would say that the majority of EBF info out there is pro while the vaccine situation is pretty split down the middle right now

Advertisement

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by De-lovely View Post
Then thats when I would go back to saying there are no negative effects of extended nursing and there are of vaccinations so in this instance you have to pick and choose what recommendations you consider.
Good point, thanks.
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
De-lovely
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof5_04 View Post
imo yes and no. for the yes i think all children should have these vac. and no because everybody does have a choice in what they want.
belief and religion is being messed with in the fact that because in the state i live in it doesnt matter ur belief u have to vac for ur child to school so alot of people say its there religion not to vac.
i know alot of people are probley going to yell at me about this but my belief is all children should have the best and that goes for vacs. no i dont give the flu or like with the last thing swine but everything else i do.
everybody can make there own minds up what they want and i dont think anybody has the right to tell one person they have too.

forgot to add congrats on nursing this long. i give u big props and let ur lo decide on her own when she wants to wean. good job mom

Its actually a shame that some of us even have to pretend that it is religious based beliefs that keep us from vaccinating our children when its not. In an effort to keep the state from making monumental decisions about how I raise my child, I WILL stretch the truth until they give me the free choice I deserve. I'll play the game, but NEVER pay to play.....
Niki: single, divorced, missin' CD's, no vax, no circ, wish I coulda homeschooled, sneaker obsessed, poet, avid reading, meditating, sometimes knitting, music junkie, film enthusiast WOHmama to Emma 11/28/03, Elena 11/28/04, Quinn 4/22/06 and Cora 10/26/07...
De-lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
amykins
Registered Users
seller

Well, in my opinion, yes. But that's a little bit of my pet peeve, I guess. So many people on here are quick to quote the AAP when it suits them, but they co-sleep or don't vax or something else that the AAP doesn't recommend. I'm not personally against those things at all...just don't use the AAP to try to persuade me when you don't even believe everything they say, you know?

ETA: The rant is not directed at you, mama.

Last edited by amykins; 06-22-2009 at 09:45 PM.
amykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
mommyof5_04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Freak_955 View Post
In this case, no. It seems like you're saying it to get people to leave you alone about what you know if best for your child. I spout off AAP/WHO statements all the time to my grandma b/c it's the only way to get her to stop giving me grief.

OT: It says you live in IL. IL does have exemptions besides medical for schools. Plus, every state has medical exemptions.
What is best for my child is not being exposed to chemicals that have a great potential to cause harm. Many of those chemicals are found in vaccines. You will only get flamed for this statement b/c non-vaccinating parents care very deeply about their children and want only the best. (At least all the ones I've met.)

so u are saying because no vac mommies dont vac they care more about there children then the ones who do? i am sorry but i said its up to everybdoy to make there own mind!!! just because mom's vac doesnt make them any less caring for there children!!! i for one did not say non vac moms dont care about there children that is what u wanted to read into it. my belief is if they are so dangerous then why does it cause issues for some but not all!!!!!! EVERYBODY DOES WHAT THEY THINK IS BEST FOR THERE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!! so fine u non vac ur choice, i choose to vac. does not make me less caring for my 5 children.
and as for chemials they are everywhere what are u personal going to put ur child in a bubble???? cars put off chemicals, homemade products although green put off chemicals. i am sorry but the world is full of chemicals.
so if cause i vac i care less for my kids then fine i guess i am. not like i dont feel like a crappy mother as it is!!!!!!!!!!
mommyof5_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
De-lovely
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykins View Post
Well, in my opinion, yes. But that's a little bit of my pet peeve, I guess. So many people on here are quick to quote the AAP when it suits them, but they co-sleep or don't vax or something else that the AAP doesn't recommend. I'm not personally against those things at all...just don't use the AAP to try to persuade me when you don't even believe everything they say, you know?

I have to agree....the AAP is probably not my top choice of references though for those "out" of the know of WHO and other research forums, the AAP seems a likely choice to cite to grandma or whoever.....I can see how it happens for sure....mama you could always roll with no reference and leave it as a very assertive portion of convo.
Niki: single, divorced, missin' CD's, no vax, no circ, wish I coulda homeschooled, sneaker obsessed, poet, avid reading, meditating, sometimes knitting, music junkie, film enthusiast WOHmama to Emma 11/28/03, Elena 11/28/04, Quinn 4/22/06 and Cora 10/26/07...
De-lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
jessielove
Registered Users

Quote:
imo yes and no. for the yes i think all children should have these vac. and no because everybody does have a choice in what they want.
belief and religion is being messed with in the fact that because in the state i live in it doesnt matter ur belief u have to vac for ur child to school so alot of people say its there religion not to vac.
i know alot of people are probley going to yell at me about this but my belief is all children should have the best and that goes for vacs. no i dont give the flu or like with the last thing swine but everything else i do.
everybody can make there own minds up what they want and i dont think anybody has the right to tell one person they have too.

forgot to add congrats on nursing this long. i give u big props and let ur lo decide on her own when she wants to wean. good job mom
You're very misinformed. No, you do NOT have to have vaccines for your child to go to school. Every state in the US has a medical exemption. I believe every state also has a religious exemption, but I'm not certain on that. I do know that if not all, then the vast majority do. Many states also have a philosophical exemption.

What is best for you and your child is not what is best for every child. My children have had reactions of increasing severity to vaccinations. We do not vaccinate because doing so is far more dangerous for my children than not. A blanket "THIS is best for all" is just about never going to be true, for any subject. Life is simply not that black and white.

Monkey Dance::Store Blog::Family Blog
jessielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
jessielove
Registered Users

To the OP: Forget the AAP. I quote the WHO, which recommends two years as the minimum.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #19
shelbell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amykins View Post

I agree with you, I think it makes me a hypocrite and I'm trying to not do it anymore but it's easy for me to pull out the AAP since everyone knows them and then the nay-sayers are more likely to leave me alone. I didn't think you were ranting at me!
shelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 PM   #20
jessielove
Registered Users

Quote:
so u are saying because no vac mommies dont vac they care more about there children then the ones who do? i am sorry but i said its up to everybdoy to make there own mind!!! just because mom's vac doesnt make them any less caring for there children!!! i for one did not say non vac moms dont care about there children that is what u wanted to read into it. my belief is if they are so dangerous then why does it cause issues for some but not all!!!!!! EVERYBODY DOES WHAT THEY THINK IS BEST FOR THERE CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!! so fine u non vac ur choice, i choose to vac. does not make me less caring for my 5 children.
and as for chemials they are everywhere what are u personal going to put ur child in a bubble???? cars put off chemicals, homemade products although green put off chemicals. i am sorry but the world is full of chemicals.
so if cause i vac i care less for my kids then fine i guess i am. not like i dont feel like a crappy mother as it is!!!!!!!!!!
Chill out. She didn't say that parents who vax care less about their children. Try reading again.

There is a major difference between being exposed to normal daily chemicals {which I would bet most parents do their best to reduce} and injecting them straight in to the blood stream.

We all make the choices we believe are best. A problem arises when we try to tell others what is best for them. You know what is best for you and yours, but that does not apply to me and mine.