View Poll Results: Does this make me a hypocrite
Yes it does 42 41.58%
No way mama 53 52.48%
Other - please explain 6 5.94%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #61
mommyof5_04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: So, does this make me a hypocrite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowBuns8 View Post
I agree with this too mama. DD1 was vaxed right on schedule. DD2 got her DTaP and two weeks later ended up in Vanderbuilt Children's Hospital with whooping cough and pneumonia. It was awful. She was very sick and it took a long time to get over pertussis (whooping cough). They cultured her and it was confirmed she did have it, even though she had received the vaccine. It was a live form and her body didn't fight it so she got pertussis. Her ped put her on a forced delayed vax schedule because she was way too sick to receive her 4 month shots. She received some of her 4 month shots at 6 months but can never receive the DTaP as a full three cause her system can't handle the pertussis part of that vaccine ever again. Basically, since she'd had pertussis, she's immune. Injecting her with a live form of the illness would be truly detrimental to her little system. Now that she'll be due for shots again soon, I'm really doing my research. I had one fully vaxed on time and she's fine. My other, however, had serious reactions. At best I will only selective vax on a delayed schedule again.

Anyway, my point was that I am with you that I don't understand how non vaxed children can get vaxed children sick. My vaxed baby got very very ill and it wasn't because she was around non vaxed kids. It was directly because of the vaccine she received. So it was benefiting her how?

Oh, yeah OP, don't feel you have to explain any parenting decisions to anyone. Your baby, your decisions. Period.

i am sorry to hear about ur lo. plus i would like to add both my lo both have had rsv. my ds (4) has had it twice now and is prone to get it. i didnt vax for that one cause i thought they dont need it they are summer babys. well, this winter he will get it and i will cross my fingers dd wont get it again.

Advertisement

mommyof5_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #62
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof5_04 View Post
SOME PARENTS DONT PUT THERE KIDS IN A COFFIN!!!!! AS FOR NOT HAVING ENOUGH INFO I DID MORE RESEARCH LAST NIGHT AND THE CDC SAYS THAT CHILDREN WHO DONT GET VACS ARE THE ONES MAKING THE ONES WHO ARE DO HAVE THERE VACS SICK.
SO THINK WHAT U WANT!!! I HAVE MY BELIEF IS ALL CHILDREN SHOULD HAVE THERE VACS. WHATEVER SHE ASKED A SIMPLE DO U THINK I AM A HYPOCRITE AND I ANSWERED. DO I AGREE WITH NON VAC PARENTS #### NO BUT AM I GOING TO HOLD THEM DOWN AND MAKE THEM GIVE THERE KIDS SOMETHING THEY DONT WANT #### NO. AS FOR THE 1 IN 100-150 CHILDREN WHO GET ATHUISM FROM THE VACS WELL I KNOW 100-150 KIDS GUESS WHAT NOT ONE OF THEM HAS IT. U HAVE UR VIEWS I HAVE MINE HONESTLY, NOW SHE ASKED A QUESTION AN GAVE AN ANSWER. SO SINCE U WANT TO USE INFO FOR URS I HAVE INFO FOR MINE. SO WHY DONT U GO BOTHER SOMEONE ELSE
wow.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #63
lemongrassy
Registered Users

If you're informing people of recommendations, that has nothing do with any of your other decisions. Most people don't know much about breastfeeding.

If you're trying to Justify nursing with the recommendations, well, yeah, that will bite you in the butt because you don't follow all official recs, but then again, you don't have to justify nursing in the first place.
lemongrassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #64
jessielove
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbell View Post
I think you need to breath there mama. I don't understand your coffin comment, can you please explain? As for non vaxed kids getting vaxed kids sick I don't understand that either. How is my child who, let's say, comes down with chicken pox, going to get your vaxed child sick? If your child is vaxed then your child shouldn't get sick since that is the point of vaxes right?
I don't understand the vast majority of her comments. Most of them have nothing to do with anything said in the thread, are completely random and seem purposely hostile and inflammatory.

Monkey Dance::Store Blog::Family Blog
jessielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 AM   #65
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

Hm...I do this sometimes. I'm choosing "other" because this is how I see it:

This is going to make me sound like a jerk, but I feel like I'm kind of dumbing it down for whoever I'm talking to, or explaining something "on their level".

From experience I know that most people aren't going to get the spirituality behind a lot of the things I believe in, so I stopped trying. They want to hear that a respected board of professionals advocates whatever-it-is. So I give them what they want, be it official statements from the AAP, statistics, or maybe just "permission" from a doctor.

I do this REGARDLESS of the fact that these are things that would NEVER factor into my actual decision to do (or not to do) something.

I'm making the other person comfortable for their own sake, so they can go on their merry way happy in the knowledge that I'm not abusing my child by breastfeeding for years or feeding them a vegan diet, or whatever. They don't have to wonder if they "should've done something" or tried to talk some sense into me. A big important somebody says it's okay, so all is well.

I don't just do it for them. I also do it for me, to stop them from hounding me.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:46 AM   #66
Tad
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I must say, it IS fun to research anything! [that I'm interested in!]

Like I said, I have to admit I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist so I do believe that the government won't tell us all the "dirty little secrets" [for lack of a better phrase] of vaccines, therefore I won't find it in websites such as the CDC or FDA. I probably have watched one too many X Files though!
Well, I think the government does its best (I'm sure we disagree on this one but read on), but on a different topic (environmental impacts of consumers), I run into a really poorly conducted survey and its results, so sometimes the Government gets bad information despite its good intentions.

And for that reason, a scientific journal is the best source. Each piece of research is reviewed by other experts in the field that have absolutely nothing to do or gain from the paper. The reviewers usually check that the methodology used is sound ad repeatable (all detail must be there), the results are based on the data and not opinions etc. That said, there are sometimes articles that are against the convention, and those tend to get lower reviews since the reviewers are human and tend to just disagree with the original authors, but that's why there are multiple independent reviewers to account for those biases. (got to run..)

And thanks for others too. I feel bad we are hijacking the thread, but thanks for the nice comments.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:49 AM   #67
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad View Post
Well, I think the government does its best (I'm sure we disagree on this one but read on), but on a different topic (environmental impacts of consumers), I run into a really poorly conducted survey and its results, so sometimes the Government gets bad information despite its good intentions.

And for that reason, a scientific journal is the best source. Each piece of research is reviewed by other experts in the field that have absolutely nothing to do or gain from the paper. The reviewers usually check that the methodology used is sound ad repeatable (all detail must be there), the results are based on the data and not opinions etc. That said, there are sometimes articles that are against the convention, and those tend to get lower reviews since the reviewers are human and tend to just disagree with the original authors, but that's why there are multiple independent reviewers to account for those biases. (got to run..)

And thanks for others too. I feel bad we are hijacking the thread, but thanks for the nice comments.
I hijack a lot! They have a hijack emoticon somewhere!
Old 06-24-2009, 06:27 AM   #68
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted no because you are not using the AAP as the "be all and end all" of parenting advice, you are simply using it to shut someone up about a personal choice.

If you still feel like you are being hypocritical then maybe your response needs to be "I do it for personal reasons" and leave it at that. People are too nosy.

ETA: I feel myself constantly having to defend my decision to erf my toddler to my FIL. I've given up trying to convince him, I don't bother having the conversation and know that he's not going to go in and turn E's carseat. Truly, what could someone do? Yank your babe off your breast?! Not likely. Take your child into the ped and vac them themselves? It's all opinion when it comes right down to it.

We're expecting #5! "Quinn" coming July 2014!

Last edited by eljube112; 06-24-2009 at 06:29 AM.
eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 AM   #69
Gitrecca
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
Yes...I agree with you. I don't BF past 1 year BECAUSE the WHO and AAP recommend it, but I do quote their recommendation when people want to discuss my choice with me. I don't find myself to be hypocritical. I just like to quote the recommendations, because it's something mainstream that the majority of people can relate to, and have respect for. If I were to quote the LLL or Mothering magazine, people will give me the raised eyebrow...after all, they are a biased bunch of "nipple nazis" We can't believe a word they say!

also, "nipple nazis" made me !
Gitrecca is offline   Reply With Quote