Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Transferring during a nap..?

i dont understand how some kids can be transferred from the car to their bed w/o even waking up.

DD will fall asleep in the car, but wake up upon arriving home and NOT go back down in her crib. I have tried so many different things, dark room, noise machine, etc. and I cant get her back down. Should I just keep driving around trying to keep her asleep for a little while? Seems kind of silly. I cant usually leave her in the car even with it open - it's just wayy too hot!

This happens often when we go out somewhere. She's 10 months. She just happens to have her naptime around 11:00 which is when we are usually out if we do something. Anyone have any ideas? We just got home and I can not get her to calm down to get back to rest but she won't let me hold her - just wants to get down...? Poor baby!
I guess we should just stay home until she has had her nap!
What do people do w/ multiple kids in this situation?

Advertisement

Last edited by vintagegyrl; 06-23-2009 at 09:39 AM.
vintagegyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
HappyEarthCreations
Registered Users
Formerly: wonder1one
seller

Re: Transferring during a nap..?

My kids always woke up if I transferred them from the car to the bed. I mostly ended up having to be home for nap time. If I had to go out, then yeah, sometimes I would end up driving around longer than I should or sitting in the car for a few extra minutes so the baby could sleep.

Sorry I can't be more helpful!
HappyEarthCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
mommysweetpea
Registered Users
seller

I can almost always transfer my kids from the car to their beds and have them stay asleep. I have found that they need to be asleep for at least 10 minutes but not longer than 30 minutes. If it's less than 10 minutes, they wake back up and are super cranky. If it's longer than 3 mins, I just keep driving to let them sleep as long as they can. (usually it's about 45 mins) I do try to be home for naps though.
mommysweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

I did learn the trick of it when DD was around a year. I had to park in the garage, so no sudden sunlight hitting her. And it was all about position. I had to gently undo the straps, and then lean her forward to pull her out and quickly put her leaning forward over my shoulder. If she tilted back at any point, she woke up. Then if I managed to get upstairs without the over-excited 100 pound dog waking her up (thumping his tail into the wall), or her big brother having an owie crisis or something that needed attention, and her room was ready with the lights off, crib rail down, and noise machine on, I could very very carefully roll her out of my arms and onto her tummy (again, never tilting her backwards). OK, it's very tricky and a lot of hoops to hop through, but I got pretty good at it and she would sleep another hour or so. Like pp said, you have to catch the right window of time too, when they've been asleep long enough but not too long.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

maybe this makes me a bad mommy, but i just leave DS in his carseat if he's asleep, and lug the whole thing into the house he's still small though, so that probably wouldn't work with an older baby!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
EBentley
Registered Users

My Mood:

Around 14 months he stopped waking up going form car to nap. Before that, we planned our day so we wouldn't disturb the nap time. There were a few occasions when we couldn't do it, but mostly I sucked it up and stayed home or did early errands.

Now he's the complete opposite. I couldn't wake him if I tried.
EBentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
Sleep deprived
Registered Users

I have had the same experience as mommysweetpea. There's a sweet spot in which my DS is asleep enough to be moved but hasn't had "too much sleep" and will wake up. Hope that helps - sleepy babies who won't sleep are super frustrating!
Sleep deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Logans Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son just started a few months ago being able to be transfered without waking up.... he was maybe 18 months old or so. But he is a classic car sleeper- anytime he gets in the car between 10-2 its a given he will nap if he hasn't yet. But at home he doesnt go down till usually around 1.

I could never tranfer him to the crib, so it started working when he started in the toddler bed, I guess just easier for me to put him down with less movement.

Logans Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
mom_2_carson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsMommy View Post
I did learn the trick of it when DD was around a year. I had to park in the garage, so no sudden sunlight hitting her. And it was all about position. I had to gently undo the straps, and then lean her forward to pull her out and quickly put her leaning forward over my shoulder. If she tilted back at any point, she woke up. Then if I managed to get upstairs without the over-excited 100 pound dog waking her up (thumping his tail into the wall), or her big brother having an owie crisis or something that needed attention, and her room was ready with the lights off, crib rail down, and noise machine on, I could very very carefully roll her out of my arms and onto her tummy (again, never tilting her backwards). OK, it's very tricky and a lot of hoops to hop through, but I got pretty good at it and she would sleep another hour or so. Like pp said, you have to catch the right window of time too, when they've been asleep long enough but not too long.
Sounds exactly what I do. My biggest trick is to get the 4yo to stay quiet and not wake DD while I'm undoing the straps of the carseat.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

Im right there with you mama. DD always woke up from wherever she was sleeping and not go back to sleep. DS is already doing that too. My problem is its not just naps, its bedtime too.