Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
ebutterfly782
Registered Users
Formerly: s**wski
seller

My Mood:
Constipated 7 mth old DD

I need some help. DD is 7 1/2 months old. She used to have a bm every day without fail. Well, now since Sat. she has gone every other day and it has been VERY hard. She is BF and gets baby food offered 3 times a day. She eats only food that is vegetable or fruit. She gets nothing with added sugar or anything like that. She also *plays* with a sippy cup of water. She might get 1/2 ounce a day. Any ideas? I tried feeding her applesauce at dinner and then the following morning. She really won't drink juice (I thought apple juice.) TIA!

BTW ~ She used to sleep all night (from 8 pm to at least 5 am). Now she doesn't. I don't know if it's related or not though. Last night she woke up at 10 pm screaming. I couldn't nurse her or anything. I had to rock and sing until she fell back to sleep.

Advertisement

Last edited by ebutterfly782; 12-28-2006 at 09:13 AM.
ebutterfly782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
psbroudy
Registered
seller

Re: Constipated 7 mth old DD

is she still constipated? my guy was giving me similar probs when he was about 6 months old and also didnt drink much water. talked to another mommy at the time and she suggested giving prune juice with a medicine dropper. ya know the dropper that is like a syringe (w/o a needle)? put some prune juice in it and then give it to her a few times a day. the other thing that helped a lot was giving the stage 1 prunes (for some reason you cant get just prunes as anything but stage 1).

hth!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Pears actually do better than applesauce. I am sorry your little one is having a rough time, have you tried using a lubricated thermometor to help?
Old 12-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
laniesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe you could try to nurse more frequently and scale back on the solids until it lets up?

Sometimes solids can change poo patterns, not for the better, even when it's only fruits and veggies.

If all else fails, you could try some prunes. I think gerber sells them...

HTH!
laniesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:36 PM   #5
psbroudy
Registered
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostermomcchr View Post
Pears actually do better than applesauce. I am sorry your little one is having a rough time, have you tried using a lubricated thermometor to help?
oh yah, i forgot to mention.. applesauce is a constipator. PP you are correct - the pears really help.. actually, fruits that start with P general help prevent constipation or make it better (pears, peaches, papaya). we also found out (after the fact of course when my kid was screaming and pushing out little poop pellets) that carrots (cooked/baby food kind) are a constipator. i would recommend laying off applesauce, carrots, squash and the starchy stuff. find the stuff with lots of fiber (green beans, peas - look at the side of the jar and it tells you how many grabs of fiber). when benjamin would get backed up, i would make sure he had green beans every day. if he had one prune and one green bean each day he would be totally evacuated and normal by mid day. i found that if i gave him prunes at night he kept me up all night long (he didnt poop but i think the system was trying to process it)

good luck!

Last edited by psbroudy; 12-31-2006 at 06:37 PM.
psbroudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
Luv2bemommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would try juice too, prune juice or pear juice.. If that doesn't work you can stimulate her anus with a thermonitor with some ky/vaseline or even a suppository works for my baby. They made some just for infants as well.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
kknutzen
Registered Users
seller

We're having the same problem with our 8mo DS. Our pedi said about what the others are. He suggested the prune juice mixed with water and to avoid the apples for a bit. My DS has been crying and so upset because it hurts so much. I am crossing my fingers that upping the prunes, peas, peaches and pears does the trick. We also have missed a solid meal or two hoping that just b****** helps. I read online to not put anything in to try to loosen it since it could hurt to do that. Not sure, just what I read....
Hope your DD is feeling better soon.
kknutzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

poor babies, give juice mama, hope everything comes out soon
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Okay my son has same problem for ever....this is the trick to unconsipate your child...go get gerber baby food step 1 meant for babies learning to just feed, bascially puree PRUNES!! Feed 1 jar wait a day and feed again, I pretty much guarntee that everything will be out in less than 4 hours...Prunes are a natural BM stimulator without stomach cramps, it works everytime like a charm!! Anytime my son is consipated I feed him 1 jar of prunes and Viola no consipation, just be sure to have extra clothes and plenty of wipes on hand cuz the firts couple times I fed it to him it went everywhere!! But its sure nice to get them to go poop!!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
psbroudy
Registered
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
Okay my son has same problem for ever....this is the trick to unconsipate your child...go get gerber baby food step 1 meant for babies learning to just feed, bascially puree PRUNES!! Feed 1 jar wait a day and feed again, I pretty much guarntee that everything will be out in less than 4 hours...Prunes are a natural BM stimulator without stomach cramps, it works everytime like a charm!! Anytime my son is consipated I feed him 1 jar of prunes and Viola no consipation, just be sure to have extra clothes and plenty of wipes on hand cuz the firts couple times I fed it to him it went everywhere!! But its sure nice to get them to go poop!!