Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 PM   #21
JollyHolly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: why are people always telling me that boys are "easier" than girls?

I would say it varies case to case and depends alot on personalities and temperments. BUT.. ime, it is true. My dd was a M-a-m-a-'s Girl!! She clung to me constantly, needing me to do everything for her. She couldnt sleep w/o me, nap (at all) without me holding her, didnt want to not be with me, lots of crying if I was in the shower. As a toddler, she is very high energy, high needs, always getting bored, needing lots of interaction not only w/ me but other kids, getting whiny, fussy, sassy, mouthy, melodramatic, feelings hurt easily, etc. She is also very sweet and cuddly too (she isnt all bad!). From what I hear from other moms, these are typical "girl qualities".

Now my ds on the other hand, has been really laid back, entertains himself easily, sleeps in the swing quite a bit, content to watch everything around him, not needing mom constantly, just all around an easier baby! Much less demanding on me overall (which I'm very relieved about!). As I said before this could just be their personalities, but this situation is common from what I hear from other moms of both.

NOT to say boys are "easy" by any means! I have friends w/ boys and WHOA... I'm bracing myself for the toddler years!

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #22
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it does have to do with the type of person you are, as well as the personality of your children. I personally find boys way easier. I would rather deal with the constant rowdy activity then spend a day handling the emotions. I love my nieces, but I am not good at "girly" stuff, and they get so emotional so easily, and just the level of imagination play is exhausting for me. My boys keep me busy absolutely, but on a level that I find more easy to handle. I will admit potty training boys is harder, and many are harder to teach to behave in a manner that others find civilized and appropriate, but to me that is still easier. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a little girl, but I do still find the boys easier. And I don't even want to think about the teenage years with girls. My niece is 12 and boy oh boy, so much for civilized.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #23
Tad
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph410 View Post
i have 3 boys- ages 3.5, 2.5 and 5 months. I constantly get comments from strangers, relatives, friends, etc. that "boys are so much easier than girls".
I really think it is just a thing to say and means nothing. When I am out and about with my twins, boy and a girl, it get the comment based on which on is fussing:

Girl fussing: "boys are so much easier than girls"
Boy fussing: "girls are so much easier than boys"

Sometimes somebody will *** a personal story either way. I take it as seriously as the cashier asking "How are you".
Old 06-24-2009, 06:05 AM   #24
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

People told me that too when I only had boys and I didn't believe a word of it.....UNTIL my little DD came along! Now I believe it all!!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #25
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

I get this a lot too. I have a 2.5 y.o. and an almost 1 year old [both boys.]

Now from past nannying and babysitting experience. I will say that though the boys were always more physically active, I always found the girls much more draining. [Again I know this isn't always typical, just my own experience ]

The girls were always very whiny, dramatic about every.single.thing and bossy/tattle taling all.the.time. I never had any of that with all the boys I ever watched. And I babysat from the time I was 12 years old. And nannied for a year when I was 25.

So I am thinking that this is what many people think. I get this comment a lot in the grocery store, mainly from older women who have a mix of both children.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:04 AM   #26
ralenth
Registered Users

I haven't read the whole thread. Boys are just different from girls. I've heard girls are easier now (when they are young), but boys are easier in the teenage years.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #27
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I think it's the drama that's associated with girls. Along with the drama comes the "she won't be my friend because of x,y,z" at a very young age. It sucks. Girls can be mean in that way. Just lots of emotion.
Psychomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #28
SunnyHunny
Registered Users
Formerly: Luvmyboysmom

I have 4 boys, and yes they get rowdy, and messy, but I know what to expect from them. And they know what I expect from me. They can easily entertain themselves. (It also helps they are all less than 2 yrs apart, so they are friends too) I like the fact too, that when they fall down or something doesn't go right, they either just get up and brush themselves off, or try and figure it out themselves before asking for help. My boys are so protective over me, and I think of them as my little buddies. Trying to keep them safe and not have them climb on everything they see is one thing though.
When I watch my neices, thier pretty good too. But I've noticed if they happen to fall down or something doesn't go right. They scream and cry and hold their hand up to the sky and say "why!" Thier good girls, but there is a difference.
I'm pg w/ my first girl now. So I'll see. I'm alittle excited to experience life w/ a girl. Also nervouse.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #29
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ive heard this too. Ive taken care of 3boys before all a year apart, and they were a handful. My dd is 3 and she can be a handful. DS is only 6 weeks old. Maybe I will find this thread in a few years, and the saying will hold true. LOL. Yah probably not.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #30
BlueLily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always thought people said that in reference to teenagers, and as a stereotype or generalization I can see that that might be true. But with younger kids like you have I don't see how boys could be easier! Who knows what people are thinking!!!
BlueLily is offline   Reply With Quote