Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

Clingy all of a sudden (2 month old) / Sleep issues

My 2 month old daughter used to be great about taking naps in her bed (it's an Arm's reach co-sleeper) and sleeping in there at night. Now all of a sudden she is waking up when I put her down, and getting less sleep. She will sleep well if I hold her through her whole nap. Which is something I HAVE to stop before it become habit. I mean, I need *me* time. I need to eat, use the bathroom, wash dishes, exercise, etc. I can't hold my daughter 5+ hours a day while she naps.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions other than CIO which I won't do? My normal routine which was working was to wait until she falls asleep on me, swaddle her, hold her an additional 15 min, and then put her in bed. Sunday I tried to do this, and she only slept 3 hours during the day. It was awful

So yesterday and today I held her during her nap, she'll sleep 2+ hours on me. I do have a mei tai, I didn't put her in it because I want to get her back into her bed.. I don't want this to be a habit.

She's not teething yet as far as I know, and is happy and playful when awake, so everything else seems normal. Just sleeping is an issue.

Advertisement

Last edited by tcmt81; 06-23-2009 at 12:47 PM.
tcmt81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
konayossie
Registered Users

Re: Clingy all of a sudden (2 month old) / Sleep issues

i was going to suggest wearing your baby, but as I read on, I saw you don't want to do that. Maybe try putting her down in a swing or vibrating chair for a nap? Sorry no real suggestions--just sympathy. My 3 mo old has only begun being able to nap AT ALL in the last week or so, and he does most of it in my arms if I want to keep him asleep (but sleeping baby is so much better than grumpy, miserable baby who needs to be held). I totally understand your wanting time to get other things done, but at two months that might be asking a bit much of your babe. I'm just telling myself that DS is the most important thing I have to do right now, and "this too shall pass." He won't always have to be held to sleep.....
konayossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
mommyv
Registered Users
seller

We started having this trend - altho not as severe as yours - at about 10 weeks. We also use an arms reach cosleeper. I have started putting her in her swing for her morning nap and sometimes her afternoon nap too. Since it continues swinging she stays asleep. After a few days she was sleeping anywhere I put her down again.

I was also getting in the bad habit of falling asleep while nursing in my bed, so she ended up spending part or most of the night in bed with me. I've had to make sure I keep myself awake enough to put her back in her bed at night. I love snuggling her in the middle of the night but I'm trying to avoid creating a situation that will be hard to end later.

Cloth Diaper 101 posts here: http://mommiev1.blogspot.com Do you blog about cloth diapers? Come link up to Cloth Tushie Tuesday!
mommyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Dahlea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IMO, it's just the way some kids are. Mine is 8 months and still will only nap on me (except for a few exceptions) I just roll with it, hold him until I really have to pee, or whatever, and then try to move him. I figure he is only this young and cuddly once, I just try to enjoy it.
Mama to Zanthias (10/13) and wife to Drew, love of my life I offer snap services (including converting BGs and similar to snaps)! I sell Longaberger baskets! Join SB to earn giftcards! Due 8/10 with a surprise!
Dahlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
mommymilk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlea View Post
IMO, it's just the way some kids are. Mine is 8 months and still will only nap on me (except for a few exceptions) I just roll with it, hold him until I really have to pee, or whatever, and then try to move him. I figure he is only this young and cuddly once, I just try to enjoy it.

I understanding wanting some *me* time...trust me. But this period in your life will be gone before you know it, so enjoy every second of it. The dishes can wait, they will still be there waiting for you later, but you will never get that incredible feeling of your baby asleep on you to wait. You can't spoil your child. Our babies grow inside of our bodies, yet for some reason in this society we are expected to put them down alone immediately. Rethink your actions. Your child wants to stay with you because in your arms they feel safe, warm, nurtured. You JUST had a baby, relax and enjoy. Nurse her to sleep. There is nothing wrong with that. You are not starting something bad. I have 3 children. All three of them started off in a co-sleeper or my bed. Both my boys sleep in their own beds no problem, and my daughter starts off in her own bed and when she wakes to nurse at night I pull her into mine. This does not last forever. I find it much easier to nurse my kids to sleep in my bed and sneak away to do whatever I need to do. You can get a side rail, or put your mattress on the floor. I put the baby monitor close to my daughter so that I can hear her the second she wakes up or if she moves around. She is happy and I am happy. We both get what we need.

Most people that I know think I am nuts and a baby belongs in a crib. I get asked all the time if my 1 year old DD is sleeping through the night. My MIL asks me every time she sees me, which is a few times a week. I finally asked her why it was so important to HER when and how my DD slept. She hasn't asked since. You have to do what is right for you and your child, regardless of what others may think. There is nothing wrong with nursing a baby to sleep. All three of my kids nursed to sleep. They are all normal kids, the boys don't give me any problems going to sleep alone in their own beds. My daughter still needs her milk to sleep, but she is a baby. Babies need sleep. Most mammals nurse their offspring to sleep, and they co-sleep. Not a darn thing wrong with it Mama! Follow your heart! Your baby needs you!
mommymilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
aliciacsun
Registered Users
seller
seller

sounds really normal to me.. that's just about the time dd started "waking up" in general. it's fun to get more time with open eyes, and little smiles, but it also means they aren't sleepy all the time.

no real advice, just wanted to offer

it does pass quickly, dd was napping fine, sleeping well at night only a couple months after that... so just cuddle that little one
aliciacsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry no help.

I loved to hold my LO when they were that young.

My LO still wakes at night...so I'm no advice giver! I keep saying he's going to his own bed...but I never do. I know, I know....I really should!
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a 10 week old and he has become way super clingy.

We nap in the swing if he can't fall asleep in the co-sleeper. We sleep in it too at night if we need to. It is a stage, and it will pass. As my doc told me when DD wasn't sleeping through the night at 18 months old...

When they are ready to sleep on their own, and sleep through the night, they will. And there isn't a darn thing you can do to change that.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:12 AM   #9
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for your input everyone. I love holding my daughter, so if that's what she needs, she gets it. Sometimes I need a little perspective in the situation. She slept in her bed okay last night, and is taking her nap in bed this morning, so maybe today she is going to be less clingy.

I've found I now have to nurse her to sleep (side nursing) at night, and transfer her to her co-sleeper from there, and she is okay.

I'll just take things as they come.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #10
EmmaLaurel
Registered Users
seller

That's the hardest thing to do, isn't it? just take it day by day and not expect / get too excited about a particular routine. Because then it changes!!!

My DD started off taking great naps on her own. Now I can't go upstairs with her if she falls asleep on my downstairs, because the creaking wakes her (old house). I have just started being able to lay her down on the couch for naps after she nurses herself to sleep during the day. Sometimes it lasts for an hour, sometimes for 10 minutes! And at night I thought we'd gotten into a good pattern - asleep between 9 and 10, awake between 2 and 3 to nurse, asleep again until 7 or so - but last night she was up at midnight, 3 and 5. Exhausted today!

Ah, well. Like everyone else has said, I figure she will only be this small for a short time, so I should just abandon my ideas of how it *should* be and just let it be what it is. I'll enjoy her more and she'll be happiest.