Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bad name question--opinions/thoughts?

Our last name is not totally uncommon, but definitely not the most common either. The name is a word used in the english language and the definition is "disgusting or highly unpleasant."

DH and I have talked several times (brought up at different times by both of us, but the first time, it was brougth up by DH) about changing our last name---actually just dropping a letter. We are concerned that our little girls are going to have to deal with this their entire childhood. I KNOW that they will be made fun of or picked on for some other reason (seems most of us had something we were made fun of for some reason when we were little), but this is just asking for it, if you know what I mean. I also know part of how this would be dealt with by our children has to do with HOW we raise our children. Raise, strong, healthy, confident little girls, and they will better be able to handle their last names a little better. However, regardless of how confident and strong they are, this IS something that will be one of the themes of their school years.

I welcome all respectful opinions and thoughts on this. Specifically, are there any school teachers out there who can speak to children with weird/bad last names?

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Bad name question--opinions/thoughts?

At first I thought you meant you actually looked up the meaning of your last name and that's what it meant, and now you were worried other child would find out the meaning. lol I was thinking, it's not the first thing I did in grade school.

I'd say why go though the trouble of changing the last name.. You can't protect them from everything. They will be teased about something else.. or maybe because thier name is one letter off from The word, they might tease because it's so close.. There were kids in grade school with all kinds of interesting names.. I knew kids with the last name of Wiener.. they didn't get picked on anymore than anyone else did.

The point is, if you go though all the trouble of changing the name, why? the kids will just find something else. It's how it goes. I think you'll be wasting your time.

Can I take a guess at your last name? Is is Gross? LOL That was just for fun.. if you don't wanna or can't answer then it's okay.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep. It's Gross and we were thinking of changing it to Ross.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
Mel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm another that doesn't think it would matter. I've always been very tall and my maiden name was Kane. I used to get called Big Daddy Kane (or Jolly Green Giant, Spiderlegs, StringBean, Too Tall) I know we want to protect our kids...and it sucks when they get teased it's something they are going to go through regardless. They just have to learn to deal with it (Noah doesn't care about being called 4 eyes because we discussed it with him before school started)
Old 12-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #5
ocfb16
Children will forget your presents. They will always remember your presence.
seller

I dont think gross is that bad of a last name at all. I know the last name grossman is common and I dont recall anyone being made of fun as a "gross man".
Old 12-28-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a friend with the last name Junk and she was never teased. Now she has 3 kids 1 in grade school & so far no teasing but I know what you mean I would hate for my DCs to be teased because of their names
Old 12-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #7
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are changing our last name. Not that it's a bad last name, just boring and we have no attachment to it. We are going to do it here in a couple months. From "Baker" to "Atreides" pronouced uh-trade-eez from the Dune series. Not only because we love the books, but also Frank Hurbert who wrote them got the inspiration from my hometown.

My maiden name rhymes with "pick it" , so yeah I got teased all the time growing up.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend

Last edited by KaleidoscopeEyes; 12-28-2006 at 11:47 AM.
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I think your last name is fine, kids will be kids, especially when theyre parents don't teach them any better about how its not nice to make fun of, but they will grow out of that and your kids will grow upjust fine, i wouldnt change my name only because of the name being part of who you are, i don't know goodluck in whatever you decide though
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

I have relatives with that last name! I am in the same boat. My dh's last name is not too pleasant of a name either!
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

I know a family that had the last name Raper. As in someone that rapes (like women) it sounds just the same.
They then had 4 sons and changed the last name, added a letter or dropped one, I can't remember anymore.
But to them, having that last name and as awful as it was was worth changing it. It was a big deal to them and the thought of having their 4 sons carry the name and deal with the same issues, etc was too much for them.
I think they made the right choice but you have to decide for yourself!!
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote