Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2006, 03:08 PM   #21
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bad name question--opinions/thoughts?

I grew up with a name that was used to tease me, but I was also teased about my hair, being little for my age, being from a large family, you get the idea-I was teased about lots of things, the name was just one of those things. BTW, my OB/GYN's name is Dr Gross, how about that? We have a teen at our church named Honi Combs-you know like the cereal-but that is how she says her name, honi combs, as in the cereal. I think it is a big hassle to change a last name, the kids will certainly find something to tease other kids about, that is just what happens in life!

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #22
Mom2Taylor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! Thanks for all the thoughts/opinions. I really appreciate it.

Jessica---I hear you on the heritage thing...one of my cons against doing it.

Andrea--Yes, I completely agree kids will find reasons to tease kids, weird name or not, but we feel our name invites the teasing.

psbroudy--"harry beaver"---that's terrible!!! See...here I am laughing at someone.

turtle2who--My husband got teased some, but as he got older, it was usually just a passing comment. His sister, however, got teased a LOT. Again, I understand that how children react to teasing is all in how you raise them--how confident and secure they are.

jjaelovesenglish--Honestly, DH's family might be upset, but they won't be the reason we make this decision, one way or another. They aren't the ones who have to comfort our little girls when they come home crying after school, you know?

Ultimately, this will have to be my husband's decision, since it's his name that would be changing. He's gone back and forth on this, but he's the one who brought it up first. It wasn't even something I thought of doing until he mentioned it. While I realize I can't protect my children from everything, and I know they WILL be teased about something, I love the idea of eliminating something so obvious as the last name of "Gross." Yes, Gross has lots of different meanings, but children usually only know one meaning. I'm still completely on the fence about it though....part of me thinks it's a really extreme thing to do and part of me thinks, "why not make my kid's lives just a tad easier."

Last edited by Mom2Taylor; 12-28-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Mom2Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #23
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

The only suggestion I have about it is to do it before the kids are too old. I knew a girl in HS who changed her first name and people teased her for doing that. She simply changed the spelling of Jennifer to Gennifer, so everyone exaggerated the g sound so it was more like gen instead of gin, if that makes sense. I am sure you are planning to do it before they start school and even if it is when the first is in kindergarten it probably won't be too bad. My DD is in kindergarten now and only knows some of the kids last names.

BTW I knew a few Gross families growing up and I never thought to much about the name, but no of us have to live w/ your name. I did get teased for mine and it really doesn't have a common meaning like yours. Mine was Gibbs, but I got called jibbs. So I can kind of see what you mean, but it never really bothered me because I never thought the comments that kids made about my name really made sense. I guess they did it because of my first name being Julie so they called me Julie Jibbs, but it was kind of stupid sounding to me, not funny, not mean, just stupid. LOL

OK enough of me rambling on. Good luck making your decision. I think either way the girls will be just fine.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #24
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also think that you should have a last name that you have positive feelings about, even if they don't get teased. My last name is Helmes and not only was I teased (Helmann's mayo, Hams, etc.) but most people pronounced it wrong like HEL-MEZ. I'm thinking about changing mine too though, so I don't think its extreme at all... really, carrying on last names is just a tradition, not a rule, kwim? So don't feel bad about it or anything.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:39 PM   #25
4xMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guessed the names, too, from your first post. I don't think it's a bad last name at all, it's def. not uncommon. In fact, it is my sister's married name, I never really thought twice about it.

But it's a personal decision, and you should do what feels right for your family. But, be glad that you have an "easy" last name. I married a man whose name NOBODY can spell OR pronounce at first, and it's a real PITA to be correcting people 24/7, and spelling it for people all the time...food for thought.

read Thrifty Thoughts and Common Cents!
4xMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 PM   #26
grace134
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Taylor View Post
Yep. It's Gross and we were thinking of changing it to Ross.
I was thinking it was Stink, and I was like, well that's pretty bad. Gross isn't worth changing your name over. I went to school with a girl named Stacy Gross, and she was the most popular girl in my class.
grace134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:49 PM   #27
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't change it. I went to school with a girl who had the last name Roach and it wasn't a big deal. If kids are going to pick on you for your last name, they will find a way to do it regardless of what it happens to be. Just my opinion
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:05 AM   #28
Brenda3boysplus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My maiden name is Ross, and I spent my childhood explaining to people that it was R-O-S-S, not R-O-T-H
I don't think I had a lisp!
Anyway, I don't think it's a big deal either way. People change their names for lots of reasons. Do whatever works for you.
My cousin named his son Sterling Boyce-Ball, we're just grateful his wife didn't let him use his first choice, Harry.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:11 AM   #29
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbroudy View Post
i guess it isnt as bad as my friend's mom's gyno/ob named harry beaver (no joke!)
There was a sex ed teacher in Portland name Harry Ball.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:02 AM   #30
psbroudy
Registered
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancifulFanny View Post
There was a sex ed teacher in Portland name Harry Ball.
actually..the same friends with the "harry beaver" guy know a guy named richard rising. he goes as **** rising and when he meets someone new he says "**** rising, nice to meet you" and brings his hand up in the air. no idea how my friends know so many like this ..

my husband also knew of a vietnamese child born with the name phat phuc

exboyf in college knew a family with the kids named crystal, shanda and leer.. yup, thats "crystalshandaleer, get in the house right now!"

i knew a family named gross when i was growing up and there were no probs. however, i got made fun of by other kids in my class because i developed early. frankly, kids will find SOMETHING to pick on each other about.

besides, if you think its hard to send out change of address cards and get everyone updated on your address, its probably harder to get change of last name cards out. heck i still get stuff in my maiden name. also, how do you explain to the kids why their relatives on dad's side are not named Ross but are named Gross?

Last edited by psbroudy; 12-29-2006 at 11:24 AM.
psbroudy is offline   Reply With Quote