Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2006, 12:55 PM   #11
reborin
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: QUICK What do I feed a 14m old for diarrhea?

Wheat is a tad harder to digest, because it's less processed. But I gotta say - for about 4000 yrs that all we had! So make into toast, cut it up, you can even put something on it - hummus or peanutbutter if he wants it.

If you're still bf'ing you can make milksicles, if not any good quality juice frozen into cubes or in one of those popsicle makers is great fun for them. Even just sucking on ice is good. My kids will drink almost anything out of a straw, and yougert is good, but dairy can be hard on the system. So I might just wait for the tummy to settle more before adding that. Some squash is also gentle and easy to digest, and sweet potatos (you can make them into fries if he prefers that to the mushed ones).

Good luck!

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
laniesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborin View Post
Wheat is a tad harder to digest, because it's less processed. But I gotta say - for about 4000 yrs that all we had! So make into toast, cut it up, you can even put something on it - hummus or peanutbutter if he wants it.

If you're still bf'ing you can make milksicles, if not any good quality juice frozen into cubes or in one of those popsicle makers is great fun for them. Even just sucking on ice is good. My kids will drink almost anything out of a straw, and yougert is good, but dairy can be hard on the system. So I might just wait for the tummy to settle more before adding that. Some squash is also gentle and easy to digest, and sweet potatos (you can make them into fries if he prefers that to the mushed ones).

Good luck!
I was going to suggest breastmilk in any form. It's the absolulte easiest to digest substance you can give a child. Hope your guy is feeling better soon!
laniesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:16 PM   #13
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Applesauce is ok, but applejuice is not. Not sure why though. In addition to BRAT, some eggs. Hard or soft boiled. Pretzels are good too. Hazel went through a TON of popsicles and luckily she likes water. I kept her away from dairy(cow's milk and cheese) for a few days also.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:41 PM   #14
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: QUICK What do I feed a 14m old for diarrhea? UPDATE and more ?s

Okay so I've been trying to get him to eat all these things, and he just WON'T. The only thing he'll eat is applesauce. I am regretting now how much dairy and fruit he used to eat. He refuses everything, and then fusses hardcore. At first I thought he was just feeling sick, but then I felt bad and fed him a slice of french toast made with little milk and fruit jelly on top. He ate it right up, and then pooped it right out not too much later. (huge blowout, all down his right leg )

So my question is, should I just let him eat so I can get food into him, or do I just keep only offering starchy foods? I'm thinking maybe I should just let him eat whatever, and then let his diarrhea wear itself out eventually? I called the pharmacy and they said there was absolutely no meds I could give to a 15m old for it, only BRAT.

I feel so bad because he's hungry, but I don't want to make his diarrhea worse...
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #15
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, poor Asher! I don't really have any advice... I guess its mostly been covered anyway but I couldn't read and not post and offer s.

Oh yeah, I know you were still nursing not too long ago, right? If you still are, will he nurse at all?
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:25 PM   #16
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Oh, poor Asher! I don't really have any advice... I guess its mostly been covered anyway but I couldn't read and not post and offer s.

Oh yeah, I know you were still nursing not too long ago, right? If you still are, will he nurse at all?
I'm pretty much not anymore, for a while there I was nursing in the mornings, since he wasn't interested during the day, but over the past month or so he didn't even seem to want that too much anymore. He'd nurse for a few seconds and then he'd hear DH or a cat or something outside and he'd want to get up and go play. After that and the puking for a couple days I'm pretty much totally dried up.

I thought about buying some Isomil or something, since thats what formula he used to drink and it doesn't have dairy in it, but I don't know if thats a good idea or not. He's been off of formula for a while too, I don't know how he'd take it...
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote