Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
nikkiemom2emmy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Garage Sale Prices

When I go garage sailing I am looking for really good deals. I don't want to pay what stuff would be new in stores on the clearance rack. IMO PJ's should be no more than $1-$2 and outfits $2-$4. I went to one today (a few families putting it on together) and found a cute pair of summer jammies. No price on it (one of my biggest pet peeves, it takes a few but is so much easier for the buyer. Not to mention I honestly believe people purposely don't price at times because they are going to look you, your child and car over and decide how much you can pay) Anyways the lady said $1, awesome sounds great!! So I go over to the clothing rack and looking through, most things are $2, or $3. Of course the 2 things I find again have no prices. So I asked the same lady, she tells me they are another lady's so go ask her. I ask and she stares at them for a minute and says $7...a piece. I was really surprised. That seemed really high to me!! I go out with $30 I don't want to blow half on these two used outfits!! I put them back on the rack and see her whispering to the other lady. I hope she was asking if her prices were to high!!

OK so how do you guys feel what are you willing to pay for things at a garage sale?

My other items I'm willing to pay:
small toys under $1-$2
bigger toys (not like outdoor play stuff I mean bigger than chew toys) no more than $7
shoes (DD doesn't walk, once she does I don't believe in buying used shoes I've heard it's bad for their feet) no more than $2

**I wanted to add I put this post on this board because it deals with baby stuff and I didn't want to offened anyone **

Advertisement

Last edited by nikkiemom2emmy; 06-24-2009 at 04:41 PM.
nikkiemom2emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:
Re: Garage Sale Prices

I am all about a dollar and under at yard sales whether I'm going to them or holding them. I price stuff very cheaply and also look for very cheaply priced stuff.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

We are having a yard sale Saturday.
Basically one piece outfits will be .50 cents, 2 or more pieces will be $1 for the whole outfit.

I'm also selling my baby bathtub for $2, boppy for $5, high chair for $20, cart/high chair cover for $5. I always mark all my prices and am willing to take an OBO as well
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would have asked her if she'd take less (like $2). You can always ask or barter down if you want. I tend to price my clothes a bit higher, because I know people will want to barter it down. At least that way, I know I'll get at least what I want out of it.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #5
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been to garage sales like that. One had clothing (just a t-shirt or a pair of shorts) for $3! They had a highchair for $30 (brand new it's $45-50). If the prices are that extreme than I don't even bother to barter.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was at a yardsale last summer and there was an outdoor playhouse that was obviously old and they wanted $300 bucks for it! I was like Uh, Huh??
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:11 PM   #7
nikkiemom2emmy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWasIThinking View Post
I was at a yardsale last summer and there was an outdoor playhouse that was obviously old and they wanted $300 bucks for it! I was like Uh, Huh??
Now thats insane!!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

Well, my daughter's clothes are stain-free and essentially in brand new condition, so even though they're used, I'd still ask $5-7 per shirt/pants. A lot of her stuff hasn't been worn more than five times and some of it - just worn once.

I find it insulting when people know that the clothes are basically new and ask me to knock the price way down. NOTHING is free and yes, I appreciate a good deal, like anyone else.

This is probably why I don't like having these types of sales or going to them. All of DD's clothes are packed up and awaiting our second LO. If that child's a boy, then they'll be donated within our family.

But for stuff that's visibly worn (like wash wear, etc.), then I'd not pay more than $2.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
JollyHolly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, for the age your daughter is when they blow through clothes SO fast, those prices are ridiculous. I could understand a higher price for a 5 or 6 year old and up, but never an infant or toddler! I think $1-2 per outfit is what I would look for personally, on toys probably $1-2 for a small non-electronic toy. If it's obviously very lightly used or expensive then probably up to $10-12. All of this of course varies by age of item intended for. Stuff does get more expensive as kids get older.

Usually people holding garage sales have their main goal as getting rid of extra junk and clutter in their house, all while making a little bit back for their time, so it's not like theyre just giving stuff away. NOT getting 50-75% of the value back from what they paid!! That's just silly!!
Old 06-25-2009, 01:34 AM   #10
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Used prices seem to keep going up. It's ridiculous. I've just about stopped looking for secondhand items and just paid a dollar or so more to have it new.