Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-30-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:
Re: Let's Talk About Socks Baby!

we have a laundry basket... a small one. we are a family of four.. me Dh DD ( 5 ) and DS ( 6m ) . and after i fold laundry any un-mated pairs of socks go in the basket.. and mated pairs go to the drawers...

then IF i can about once a week.. I sit in my room and watch tv on bed and go though the basket and mate them from their.. sometimes my daughter helps me.. but for me it is a nice little release from regular house hold things.. DH watches baby in living room or where ever and mommy " works" on the socks lol.. hey it might only be 30min alone.. but that's 30 min.. lol

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 11:51 PM   #12
jenmcfar
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooCrew10 View Post
I would love a solution to this problem. I kept unmatched sock in a rubbermaid storage tub until the thing was so overflowing with socks without their mates, I threw the whole mess away! It really stinks when they learn how to take off their socks, and my kids are the type that it could be freezing cold in the house and they will STILL peel off their socks and leave them where ever they land. I'm all for disposable socks, if they ever come out with them. Ugh. How about peel and stick socks??
I second this frustration...no offense to the Previous Posters, but the lingerie bag thing only works if you have one or two kids. Once you are past that, good luck with the lingerie bag! I don't have problems with my chldren taking off their socks and leaving them wherever they land, butoften they will find a sock or two in the toy chest, under the bed, in the closet, etc. etc. and no one knows how they got there. 9 times out of 10 they are dirty socks too, not clean ones. Ewwwww.

I'm sure some of them get taken by the one footed aliens that steal everyone's socks but I always have a large sock pile in various sizes and stages of use in the bottom of my laundry basket. About once a year I have to just toss them all and go buy some more new ones.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:07 AM   #13
june weaver
Registered Users

I bought all one kind or color sock, that way they always matched. Only two or three pairs of special, fancy socks to go with an outfit, hung in closet with that outfit. pinned together when washed. The very best thing about unmatched, mateless or worn out, too small socks is that they can be turned into awesome Barbie clothes. I used to save them for a rainy day or when a friend was coming over and I'd help cut off toes and heels and the dolls would soon have new wardrobes!

Last edited by june weaver; 12-31-2006 at 11:09 AM.
june weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:10 AM   #14
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmcfar View Post
I second this frustration...no offense to the Previous Posters, but the lingerie bag thing only works if you have one or two kids. Once you are past that, good luck with the lingerie bag! I don't have problems with my chldren taking off their socks and leaving them wherever they land, butoften they will find a sock or two in the toy chest, under the bed, in the closet, etc. etc. and no one knows how they got there. 9 times out of 10 they are dirty socks too, not clean ones. Ewwwww.

I'm sure some of them get taken by the one footed aliens that steal everyone's socks but I always have a large sock pile in various sizes and stages of use in the bottom of my laundry basket. About once a year I have to just toss them all and go buy some more new ones.
Couldnt you buy a bagfor each child? Or two bags for each child? And, I know they come in different sizes - bigger bag for bigger child/bigger socks...
Old 12-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #15
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by june weaver View Post
I bought all one kind or color sock, that way they always matched. Only two or three pairs of special, fancy socks to go with an outfit, hung in closet with that outfit. pinned together when washed. The very best thing about unmatched, mateless or worn out, too small socks is that they can be turned into awesome Barbie clothes. I used to save them for a rainy day or when a friend was coming over and I'd help cut off toes and heels and the dolls would soon have new wardrobes!

Ok, I'm back to add another I have TRIED IT ALL, and nothing works. Diff. colored socks, diff. styled socks, the lingerie bag, their own laundry bag, their own laundry basket, I've tried being the Sock Police and gather socks off of their feet (since I know they will come off anyway), but alas nothing works. Granted, we have double or triple the amount of kids most folks have, so that makes it even harder, but seriously I bet I would make a ton of money if I could come up with disposable socks that were reasonably priced. I'm all for recycling and conservation, but geez when I have to chuck the socks because none of them have a mate, that's not along the conservation lines anyway!
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:23 PM   #16
OpenArms
Registered Users
seller

My son is 6 months old, we co-sleep, and every morning he is missing a sock....I have no idea where it goes but it's always gone. He has a whole box of single socks. lol
Old 12-31-2006, 05:42 PM   #17
tasbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I kind of like the disposable sock idea.

I try to match socks up after doing laundry, sometimes I just never get to it so we have a big bag that we throw socks into. My goal today and tomorrow as I do the laundry is to go through the bag and match socks up. Anything left at the end is going in the garbage and my New Year's Resolution is to figure out how to not have to buy socks so often. If that doesn't work, I'm going to invent disposable ones. I can barely get my family to get their socks into the laundry hamper. I don't think that I could get anyone (even me!) to put anyone's socks into lingerie bags, but I do think it's a neat idea.
tasbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #18
boristhedog
Registered Users

bare feet?
boristhedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #19
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

One thing that i've started doing. Is buy cheap socks in big bags, and buy a few bags at a time, also kids can all use the same sock at a certain age, like 6 and 7 on up seems to fit one sock. We are left with way less mismatches lately. But still a bagfull.
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #20
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

my mismatched socks live in the laundry basket and get rewashed every week, I figure it gives those one-footed sock stealing aliens a better option than taking one of my matching ones. every so often, a sock I know has been in there for weeks or months, ends up with a mate. No clue how that works, but it does