Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #81
c'est_la_vie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Editing too often?

I think the minority that chooses not to wear their "big girl panties" shouldn't effect the MAJORITY that just want to be able to edit posts that have zero to do with drama!

Advertisement

Baby M due Oct 31st!
c'est_la_vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #82
PailPowder
Registered Users
Formerly: tina041077
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by designmegara View Post
I'm obviously NOT a mod or admin, but I think I can answer 'b' pretty clearly-they are called 'big girl panties' and they want us to start wearing them Meaning they don't want people who get nasty to back peddle and change their posts. They obviously overlooked needing exceptions (like WAHM, FSOT, etc), but I like the general idea of 'no editing'-it makes you (general you) THINK before you post and own what you say. In the case of this site, certain boards that *should* be 'no drama' like the weight loss board could get away with being able to edit, but most of the board should be no edit IMO. Yeah typos suck, but when everyone is making them no one really cares
Ok that *could* make sense, but IME on here, even if someone does own their words, it gets heated and they just delete the whole thread anyway. Taking away the edit button on this site is pretty much pointless because of that alone.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #83
chickenmonkeybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by designmegara View Post
I can't remember who said no editing was micromanaging. How is making people own what they themselves post on a public board 'micromanaging'? Seriously, I don't get it.
I said that. Do you know what micromanaging is? It is when you try to manage every little detail about something. It is pointless and usually leads to what? You guessed it, more managing.

Ex:
1. The language people use is already managed
2. How heated a thread can get is already managed
3. What we can and can't say is already managed
4. Now whether we can edit is managed
Do you see where I am going?

Part of "owning what you say" is being able to apologize when it hurts or offends someone. People can still do that, edit button or not. I just don't want to be micromanaged. There are plenty of rules here as it is.

ETD: The phrase is "backpedal" BTW

Last edited by chickenmonkeybaby; 06-25-2009 at 08:20 PM.
chickenmonkeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #84
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est_la_vie View Post
I think the minority that chooses not to wear their "big girl panties" shouldn't effect the MAJORITY that just want to be able to edit posts that have zero to do with drama!
exactly.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #85
mammaof3lovelys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
i agree!

Like my avatar? Lil' Munchkies made them!
mammaof3lovelys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #86
kt~mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: ben***katieh
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpiedpiper View Post
I think with some fixes it would be a very good thing. Perhaps people will think twice before posting some of the things they post, and if not, at least they can't try to back out of it later. Own what you say!
i just don't get it. where is all this drama that needs to be corralled?? i've been here for a long time and haven't seen it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoJandS View Post
So if we want to go back later and delete pictures of our children we can't?? I occasionally post pictures of my children in Extra Fluffy, but a week or so later after the thread is dead, I go back to delete the pictures. Now I can't? I don't think this is a great idea.
totally agreed. and these posts could be anywhere... babywearing, parenting, ttc, due dates, wherever. not cool that they stay forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenie1023 View Post
Oh, I'd like to add too...sometimes after posting, I'll reread what I've typed and notice spelling or other errors that I like to fix/edit. I find it very frustrating that we will not be able to go into our original posting and edit.
me too!

Quote:

as for me, i quit frequenting babycenter's chat boards because they changed their setup, which included not being able to edit the original post. way cumbersome and annoying. made it not worth it anymore. don't know that i'd quit this site over it, but it'd be super frustrating.

thanks for fixing it and i hope it stays editable!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #87
Magpiedpiper
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt~mommy View Post
i just don't get it. where is all this drama that needs to be corralled?? i've been here for a long time and haven't seen it...
Probably because those threads/posts are deleted.
Magpiedpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #88
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt~mommy View Post
Because it gets deleted
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:01 AM   #89
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I HATE having to go paging thru a thread to find an update when the OP can just edit their original post. This is dumb. AND is it another HUGE sweeping change without so much as a word of warning or the slightest concern as to whether we want it or not!
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #90
c'est_la_vie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe they were testing the waters to see what reaction they would get?.. I'm glad that our opinions do matter, because the button is back.. I just hope people think a little more wisely now before doing anything offensive that might cause them to bring it back! boo!
Baby M due Oct 31st!
c'est_la_vie is offline   Reply With Quote