Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
*joy*
Registered Users

My Mood:
How much baking soda? And when?

I usually do a cold rinse on my dipes and then a hot wash/cold rinse.

1) If I'm going to use baking soda and vinegar, do I put the baking soda in the first rinse or in the wash? Do I still use a small amount of detergent in the wash too?

2) Also, I bought a downy ball for the vinegar, it should go in during the wash and then it will pop open for the last rinse, right?

3) How often do you use bs and vinegar?

Thanks for your help

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
LoveSunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much baking soda? And when?

1) If I'm going to use baking soda and vinegar, do I put the baking soda in the first rinse or in the wash? Do I still use a small amount of detergent in the wash too? I use 1/4 cup of baking soda in my cold soak/prewash. Yes, you would still use a small amount of detergent in your wash, too. I use about 1/3 capful of Purex F&C.

2) Also, I bought a downy ball for the vinegar, it should go in during the wash and then it will pop open for the last rinse, right? Yep, I occasionally use vinegar and I put mine in the Downy ball, also. So far, so good.

3) How often do you use bs and vinegar? I use baking soda in every wash, it really helps neutralize all urine odors. I only use vinegar about once every two weeks or so.

HTH!

LoveSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it varies by your water. I was using baking soda in every wash when I first started cloth diapering. I've since discovered that it makes our water too soft and that I have better luck with vinegar in the rinse. You can use your downy ball to do that. Just add 1/4 cup in your wash cycle and the ball will release it in your first rinse. It's a trial and error thing I think. What works for one, may not another. Our water is classified as moderately hard, but when I use baking soda I have to rinse forever.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
birthfree
Registered Users

My Mood:

When I wash I put the baking soda in with the diapers, put on a hot wash, add vinegar in the rinse and so far, so good. I don't normally use the baking soda except once a month or so, but I use vinegar every time. So far so good (I have a front loader and hard water).
birthfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSunshine View Post
1) If I'm going to use baking soda and vinegar, do I put the baking soda in the first rinse or in the wash? Do I still use a small amount of detergent in the wash too? I use 1/4 cup of baking soda in my cold soak/prewash. Yes, you would still use a small amount of detergent in your wash, too. I use about 1/3 capful of Purex F&C.

2) Also, I bought a downy ball for the vinegar, it should go in during the wash and then it will pop open for the last rinse, right? Yep, I occasionally use vinegar and I put mine in the Downy ball, also. So far, so good.

3) How often do you use bs and vinegar? I use baking soda in every wash, it really helps neutralize all urine odors. I only use vinegar about once every two weeks or so.

HTH!
Except that we don't have a Downy ball and I just use the softener 'dispenser' (top loader).
Old 12-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
*joy*
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much