Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #11
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: s/o: inappropriate toys for boys

I just don't like junky plastic toys. You know the kind that break the second they are out of the package? Those cheapy things that make horridly loud noises. The kinds you never buy for your own kids but your friends and family insist on buying because "It was cheap and he just needs more toys" or "but it looked so cool in the store". That is the only thing that is 100% off limits in our home. We always said no about electronics, but ds1 has alot of special needs and special circumstances and this is what works for him. He learns best from the computer and so we have allowed him to use it. The boy is incredibly gifted when it comes to electronics and it gives him a huge boost of confidence, which he needs. Plus as much as daily life relies on ones ability to operate electronics I can't imagine raising him computer illiterate.

Advertisement

iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:15 PM   #12
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Video games we will allow in moderation. DS's dad and I are gamers (when we have time) ourselves so they're already in the house. However, we only own strategy-type games anyway (like RPGs and such) so no shooting, car-stealing, hooker beating games. (Namely Grand Theft Auto. LOL)

Video games are a way of life in this house, so I don't know how we could possibly ban them. They will be strictly monitored though, DH has told me many stories about hiding his systems so he could play them when his mom wasn't paying attention.

Anything else I'm playing by ear. Usually my basic rule is "anything in moderation" though. I figure since I don't buy battery toys (besides that zebra ) the only ones he'll have are the ones that relatives have bought him, so hopefully his non-electronics will far outweigh them.

I think at the moment, guns might be the only thing I'm really against. Not because I think having them will make him a killer, but just because I don't like them, and the culture that goes with it.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #13
4xMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly. I don't prohibit any specific toys (not even the Bratz!! LOL) My kids play with all sorts of things in moderation. Tommy has some toy guns and swords, etc...but much prefers drawing and coloring. My girls have the Bratz, they just made my oldest want to design clothes... They play some video games, but I just limit the time they can devote to them.

I look at it this way...my little brothers played with guns, swords, wrestling figures, they turned out OK...I played with Barbies, and there was talk of them being this unrealistic stereotype, and I turned out OK, too!

Of course, I encourage imaginitive play all the time...but playing cops and robbers is using your imagination, right???

read Thrifty Thoughts and Common Cents!
4xMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:06 AM   #14
worldwarcaitlin
Registered
seller

Nothing that I can think of.

I'm a gamer and DF is army so he is going to be growing up around video games&guns&all that "bad" stuff. I will just try to teach him responsibility and moderation, and I will definatly be monitering the games he plays.

yellow spider, yellow leaf. confirms my deepest held belief.
worldwarcaitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:13 AM   #15
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

So far I haven't said NO to anything that I cant think of! DS has a toy gun though he never plays with it (Daddy was in the Army so Kolin loves Boom-booms) and I think it is important for him to learn proper weapon safety.

And yes we have quite a few battery operated toys, though I use most of the batteries in my digital camera
Old 12-29-2006, 12:16 AM   #16
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

when we had my son i used to say no toy guns, but that went out the window, he knows not to aim at anyone or pretend to kill anyone. we really hate the cheapy toys pp said, the ones thatbreak as soon as you open thepackage we tend to get these fomr my in laws side of the family, i dont like them and toss them out, i dont need broken pieces to be eaten by danae
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:52 AM   #17
momtomaximusandjackson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no weapons, no playdough inside the house and the remote control cars have to stay in the basement.
momtomaximusandjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:05 AM   #18
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

no toy guns.
DH has a couple of handguns from when he owned a gas station and needed them as protection. I'd prefer him to sell those but I am losing that battle. We also have a shotgun but don't think we even have shells for it - handed down in his family. DS has never seen them and I don't think guns are toys so he won't play with them, real or pretend. When he is older and DH wants to teach him gun safety and take him to a class then the firing range that will be different...but not at this age or anything say 10 and under.

Other than that I decide on a toy by toy basis...and it will depend on his age at the time.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:23 PM   #19
Jenrose
Registered Users

What is it about boys and weapons? I got my dh a boomwhacker music toy for Christmas, and the first thing he and BIL did when it came out of the box was grab C and D and have a very dissonant swordfight. DH is almost 40, for crying out loud!
Jenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #20
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post
I'm fine with toy guns, knives, swords, whatever. My husband and I are both fairly skilled with both handguns and rifles, and my father is a gunsmith with quite the arsenal. So, Henry will be growing up immersed in what is often refered to as the "gun culture" and I see toy guns as a great way to begin teaching firearm safety and responsible gun ownership at a very young age.

Video games of any kind are no-nos until he is at least in high school, though. Not so much because I have a problem with the violence or anything like that, I'd just rather him be outside playing or using his imagination, instead of glued to a television screen.

Minus the part of her father being a gunsmith as mine isn't
Seriously, I think kids will always invent stuff they can play guns with (like sticks and pretend, kwim) and DH being a military cop, both kids are already growing up seeing it. I couldn't have said it better than LJ already said it!