Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #21
Re: s/o: inappropriate toys for boys

No toy guns or knives. No SpongeBob.

tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:44 AM   #22
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2hamish

well... it's hard to make a general "no _____" rule and expect to keep it. So far my approach has been to avoid what we don't want him to learn yet (ie. guns and violent games, swearing, anyone/thing doesn't treat people respectfully etc...) and to carefully encourage the activities that we know he can learn the most from. Limiting his tv/video/computer viewing helps. He's only two but I know that his mind needs to develop in other areas before he can handle more tv etc....

H doesn't have a gun, sword, video game, bratz doll, ... and we'll avoid it as long as we can. I know eventually he'll end up plaing with everything we don't want him to... but I'm not going to hurry it.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention. -- Sir Francis Bacon
curious_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #23
Registered Users
My Mood:

guns, i have a problem with them being used as play things and not just as something for hunting, etc.

my moms friend yelled so much about my being ridiculous about it, and not right, that he went and kept buying my brother toy guns when i was around and getting him to play with them around my son to try and undermind me. i was majorly pissed...

anyway, ummm, knives and stuff, it depends, my friends daughter got so skilled by 2 she could knock a sword from a pro fencer with a dagger..and that scares me LOL

i *really* didnt want him into the spiderman/etc either, but well..a lot of good that did. :sigh:
and i was also one who didnt want him having fast food, but well...especially being pregnant, sometimes ya gotta eat, lol
Mindy, mommy to a very adorablelittle guy! , my UC'd baby boy!& my brand new UC'd baby GIRL
I love my babies!
Need money?
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:10 AM   #24
Registered Users
My Mood:

My DS will not have any toy weapons for a long time. Maybe sometime in the future but not for several years at least.
AmyEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #25
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
My Mood:

I was raised in a "no toy gun" household and it worked fine for us! I plan on continuing it with DS. My big hurdle will be WWE stuff. DH is a big fan and a freelance referee for live local (meaning the whole state of Virginia) pro-wrestling events. DH doesn't want DS to even get into it... but if by chance he does, he wants DS to know HOW pro-wrestling is done (like take him to the pro-wrestling camp... yes.. they exsist). I guess it's all about educating.
Come "like" The Screaming Penny on Facebook HERE Groupon Eversave
Discover Swagbucks (FAQ) then join Swagbucks
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #26
Registered Users

Nothing with camoflauge, or guns, or aggressive frankly. No hulk, spiderman, starwars, etc. NO video games. No soldiers, tanks, guns, boxing gloves. Nothing vaguely aggressive or violent.

But we do have some airforce planes and an aircraft carrier, the kid loves aviation. He has no idea that they shoot.

I might allow superheros when he gets older. (He is now 4.5).

I don't buy clothing with camo on it either.

ps. For everyone's information i DO support the troops, GWB and the USA (even though i am Canadian. )
sienna is offline   Reply With Quote